By From staff reports
Published in Sports on August 26, 2011 1:47 PM
Rosewood 7, Wake Christian 0
* RALEIGH -- Jamari McGowan's 40-yard touchdown run in the first quarter proved to be the game's only score in Rosewood's 7-0 win at Wake Christian on Thursday night.
The Eagles' defense held Wake Christian deep in Eagles' territory on Wake Christian's final drive of the game.
Shane Whitley led Rosewood with 118 yards rushing. The Eagles finished with 265 yards on the ground.
Rosewood (1-1 overall) entertains Midway next Friday.
Jones Senior 28, James Kenan 14
* WARSAW -- Jones Senior used two third-quarter touchdowns to pull away from James Kenan in a 28-14, non-conference win on Thursday evening.
The Trojans led 14-0 late in the second quarter until Tigers' quarterback Parker Jones scored on a 1-yard touchdown run.
Jones Senior tacked on two touchdowns in the third quarter on a 9-yard run and a 92-yard fumble return.
Kenan's Devon Best found the end zone from 12 yards out in the fourth quarter. Marcelias Sutton led the Tigers with 143 yards rushing on 24 carries. Jones was 9 for 13 passing for 104 yards with one interception.
Kenan (0-2 overall) travels to East Duplin next Friday.
Ayden-Grifton 22, Greene Central 13
* AYDEN -- Behind a stingy defense and a key second-half touchdown, Ayden-Grifton held off Greene Central for a 22-13 victory on Thursday night.
The Chargers scored fewer than three minutes into the game on Kariym Gent's 9-yard run. The Rams tied the game on Rasheem Schackleford's 75-yard touchdown pass to Jerel Stevens late in the first quarter.
Quan Green's 20-yard touchdown run early in the second quarter put Ayden-Grifton in front 14-7 at the half.
Shackleford pulled the Rams to within 14-13 on a 5-yard score midway through the third quarter. The Chargers added a short touchdown run and a safety in the second half.
Greene Central was held to four first downs, 46 rushing yards and 147 yards of total offense. Meanwhile, Ayden-Grifton ran 27 more offensive plays than the Rams, rushed for 293 yards and finished with 336 yards of offense.
Greene Central (1-1 overall) plays host to Charles B. Aycock next Friday.
Midway 21, Princeton 14
* PRINCETON -- Midway quarterback Taylor Calcutt's 4-yard touchdown run with fewer than six minutes left in the game put the Raiders ahead for good in a 21-14 win at Princeton on Thursday night.
The Bulldogs led 14-13 early in the fourth quarter, but were unable to hang on. Princeton had one final possession with fewer than four minutes to play and drove to the Midway 35-yard line. A sack and a penalty ended any hopes of comeback.
The Bulldogs (0-2 overall) travel to Dixon next Friday.
Lejeune 60, Spring Creek 6
* JACKSONVILLE -- Spring Creek was plagued by nine turnovers, including six interceptions, in a 60-6 loss at Lejeune on Thursday night.
The Devilpups rushed for 456 yards on 28 attempts and averaged 16 yards a carry. Chad Spurgeon scored the Gators' lone touchdown on a 1-yard run in the fourth quarter.
Spring Creek (0-2 overall) entertains Southeast Halifax next Friday.
Other Local Sports
- So. Wayne-Northern Nash box
- Rosewood-Wake Christian box
- Wayne Christian needs four sets to dump Trinity-Raleigh
- Spring Creek-Lejeune box
- N. Duplin-Lakewood box
- NC prep football scores
- Midway-Princeton box score
- Goldsboro-Eastern Wayne football box
- Unforgettable summer: Wooten helps Harwich win Cape Cod League championship
- James Kenan-Jones Senior box