Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on August 31, 2011 1:47 PM
Wayne Country Day 3,
East Wake Academy 2
* Hil Tanner scored three goals, including the game-winner in the final two minutes of Wayne Country Day's 3-2 home victory over East Wake Academy on Tuesday afternoon.
East Wake erased a 2-0 deficit in the second half before Tanner scored the go-ahead goal.
The Chargers (2-1-3 overall) entertain Cape Fear Christian on Sept. 6.
Wayne Christian 3, Cape Fear Christian 1
* Wayne Christian opened Carolina Christian 1-A Conference play with a 3-1 victory over visiting Cape Fear Christian on Tuesday night.
Chase Darden, Hunter Burt and Kevin Wheeler each scored for the Eagles. Jamie Tucker recorded four saves in goal for Wayne Christian and David Swets had three saves.
Wayne Christian (1-2-1 overall, 1-0-0 CCC) visits Crossroads Christian on Friday.
C.B. Aycock 269, Rosewood 350
* A pair of Charles B. Aycock golfers recorded personal-best scores in a 269-350, non-conference victory over Rosewood at Lane Tree Golf Course on Tuesday afternoon.
The Golden Falcons' Tara Simmons earned medalist honors with a round of 73. Jesse Stewart and Madison Aycock both finished with personal-best scores of 89 and 107, respectively.
Taylor Brock led Rosewood with a score of 109. Jennifer Lyles shot 117 and Taylor Gayles carded a 124.
Aycock faces Wilson Hunt and Southern Nash on Sept. 7 at Happy Valley in Wilson.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Hiromi Sueki claimed low-gross honors during weekly tournament action contested on the Walnut Creek Country Club links. Mary Morris won low net. Faye Franklin and Penny Ritt shared low putts.
C.B. Aycock 9, South Johnston 0
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock continued its dominance of Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponents with a 9-0 rout of South Johnston on Tuesday.
Brooke Barfield, Ashton Walker, Katie Gurley, Brittany Parrish, Misty Edwards and Caroline Bone all collected a singles win. The doubles teams of Barfield-Walker, Gurley-Edwards and Parrish-Bone were also victorious.
Aycock (7-0 overall, 3-0 ECC) travels to ECC foe Cleveland on Thursday.
Wayne Christian 9, Spring Creek JV 0
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Wayne Christian cruised to a 9-0 win over Spring Creek's junior varsity team on Tuesday afternoon.
Faith Sutton, Taylor Willman, Elizabeth Sutton, Ally Willman, Bryanna Means and Abigail Easom each earned singles victories for the Eagles. The doubles teams of Faith Sutton-Ally Willman, Elizabeth Sutton-Means and Easom-Miranda Taylor also won.
Wayne Christian (2-1 overall) plays Spring Creek's varsity on Sept. 6.
Wayne Country Day 9,
Cape Fear Christian 0
* BUIES CREEK -- Unbeaten Wayne Country Day rolled to a 9-0 win over Caper Fear Christian on Tuesday afternoon on the campus of Campbell University.
Gianna Democko, Sarah Best, Mack Thomspon, Katherine Roethling, Mollie Catherine McDonald and Meredith Roethling each recorded a singles point for the Chargers. The doubles teams of Democko-Katherine Roethling, Thompson-Abbey Pope and Meredith Roethling-McDonald were also winners.
Wayne Country Day (3-0 overall) faces Cape Fear Academy on Sept. 12.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Wayne Christian 25-19, 25-8 -- Ashley Thornton and Kayla Hardee served four aces apiece, while Kayla Hall and Jordan Martens each contributed three aces. Martens dished out four assists. Emily Brock, Callie Thornton, Samantha Allen, Hayley Mercer and Danielle Fail also contributed to the win. Rosewood improved to 5-1 overall.
* Soccer: Wayne Christian d. Cape Fear Christian 3-1 -- Victor Kokiko scored twice for the Eagles and Jackson Anderson added a goal.
Other Local Sports
- Local digest
- Midway-Rosewood football boxscore
- Military day at GMGC
- Rosewood shuts out Midway 25-0
- MOC loses opener to Florida Southern
- Kenan's Jones sidelined with another concussion
- Goldsboro Municipal GC will play host to 'Military Day'
- Rosewood bounces back on volleyball court
- South Johnston scores three goals in 17-minute span at EW's expense
- Goldsboro spikers take Clinton