Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 11, 2011 12:05 AM
Wayne Country Day 3, Greenfield 1
* WILSON -- Sarah Crooks just missed a double-double with 10 service aces and nine kills in Wayne Country Day's 26-24, 23-25, 25-7, 25-19 conquest of Greenfield School on Friday afternoon.
It was the Coastal Plains Independent 1-A opener for both teams.
Rachel Uzzell passed out 16 assists in the four-set affair, while Bailee Creger contributed five aces and three kills. Jessica Zhou supplied five kills and 10 assists.
Brooke Neal and Savannah Strickland combined for seven kills.
The Chargers (4-6 overall, 1-0 CPIC) travel to Flora MacDonald Academy on Monday.
Jones takes 1st for Eagles
Connor Jones turned in a first-place time of 17 minutes, 56 seconds and led Wayne Christian to a runner-up finish in a seven-team meet contested Friday afternoon.
Epiphany edged the Eagles, the reigning N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association Classes 1-A/2-A state champions, by a 40-41 count. Grace-Sanford took third with 69 points, followed by Pope John Paul II with 90.
Wayne Country Day, Oakwood and Northwood didn't have enough runners to post a team score.
David Swets complemented Jones with a 12th-place effort of 22:52. Matthew Wells (23:34), Ben Sawyer (24:20) and Levi Miller (24:45) rounded out the Eagles' scoring.
On the girls' side, Sarah Allen placed 12th for Wayne Christian with a time of 28:05.
Greene Central 9, Farmville Central 0
* FARMVILLE -- Greene Central continued its shutout run with a 9-0 romp over Eastern Plains 2-A foe Farmville Central on Friday afternoon.
It was the Rams' fifth straight shutout and sixth overall this season.
Jessica Hatch, Kayla Radford, Brittany Colie, Hayes Lovett, Mackenzie Butts and Chasity Holloman each notched a singles point. Hatch-Lovett, Radford-Colie and Danielle Dillane-Laurie Sutton each prevailed on their respective doubles court.
Greene Central (8-4 overall, 6-0 EPC) faces perennial 2-A nemesis Edenton Holmes on Tuesday.
Spring Creek 9, Goldsboro 0
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek opened its Carolina 1-A Conference season with a 9-0 triumph over county rival Goldsboro.
Emily Daniel, Heather Frey, Katlyn Casey, Colleen Finlay, Jordan Cook and Brittany Carmack each seized a singles point for the Gators. Casey and Carmack each claimed a third-set tiebreaker at Nos. 3 and 6 singles, respectively.
Daniel-Frey, Casey-Cook and Finlay-Carmack completed the sweep in doubles.
Spring Creek (2-0 overall, 1-0 CC) entertains North Duplin on Tuesday.
Lakewood 5, Goldsboro 4
* SALEMBURG -- Damon Pate punched in two goals in Goldsboro's 5-4, non-conference loss to Lakewood.
Jeffrey Martinez collected one goal and two assists for the Cougars, who remained winless in five outings this season. Ethan Minshew dished out two assists, while Jared Howard tallied one goal.
The teams meet again Tuesday at Goldsboro. Kickoff is 6 p.m. at Cougar Stadium.
* Volleyball: Wayne Country Day d. Greenfield 25-15, 25-21 -- Taylor Sledge recorded three aces and one kill. Tiffany Larsen (two aces, one kill), Teriece Hawley (two aces, one kill), Logan Harrell (two kills, two assists), Gracie Gurley and Stephanie Schappell contributed to the win. WCDS improved to 3-1 overall and 1-0 in Coastal Plains Independent 1-A action.