By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on September 13, 2011 1:48 PM
Saints' game suspended
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne got shut down by Mother Nature on Monday night during its Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference soccer match against Cleveland High School.
Lightning halted the contest in the 12th minute and after a 40-minute delay forced the postponement of the contest to a later date. Play will resume Sept. 27 at 7 p.m. with the Saints holding a 1-0 lead.
North Lenoir 3, Triton 2
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir claimed a 3-2 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Triton on Monday night.
Chastin Radford scored twice for the Hawks. Tyler Gray rounded out the home team's tally with one goal. Jake Olejniczak, Oscar Avila and Filiberto Gonzalez each recorded one assist in the win.
Caleb Baird made five saves in the victory.
North Lenoir (6-1-0 overall, 2-0 ECC) travels to South Johnston on Wednesday.
Corinth Holders 3, Rosewood 2
* CLAYTON -- Rosewood could not hold onto some early momentum in a 25-16, 21-25, 25-21, 26-24, 15-8 loss to Corinth Holders on Monday night.
Megann Tyndall recorded 14 kills in the defeat. Rachyle McAlduff dished out 12 assists and Anna Ingram finished with nine digs.
Rosewood (7-2 overall) begins defense of its Carolina 1-A Conference championship against Ayden-Grifton today.
Eastern Wayne 3, Spring Creek 0
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Eastern Wayne earned a win over county rival Spring Creek on Monday night by a score of 25-10, 25-20, 25-18.
Stephanie Smith led the Warriors with seven kills and two aces. Kendra Nash added seven assists in the win and Brooke Dougherty finished with six kills.
Eastern Wayne (3-5 overall) travels to Charles B. Aycock tonight.
Fayetteville Christian 3, Wayne Christian 2
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Wayne Christian suffered its first loss of the volleyball season to Fayetteville Christian 25-21, 26-24, 24-26, 12-25, 12-15 on Monday afternoon.
Britney O'Hara finished with a career-high 22 kills and 16 digs. Jessica Swets added eight kills and seven aces. Katie Isenhower tallied 34 assists and 10 aces in the defeat.
Wayne Christian (8-1 overall) entertains Pope John Paul today at 5 p.m.
Flora MacDonald 3, Wayne Country Day 2
* RED SPRINGS -- Brooke Neal played a solid floor game with five service aces, seven kills and four digs in Wayne Country Day's 25-23, 19-25, 23-25, 26-24, 11-15 loss to Flora MacDonald Academy on Monday.
Sarah Crooks added 11 kills and two aces.
Jessica Zhou contributed three aces, six kills, seven digs and five assists. Rachel Uzzell supplied a team-high 15 assists along with three kills and four aces.
The Chargers (4-7 overall) travel to Oakwood on Friday.
Lane Tree Ladies Association
* Betty Jean Gurley emerge the game-of-the-week winner during play for Sept. 11 on the Lane Tree Golf Club links. Novella Zambelli and Teresa Shearin won low net and low putts, respectively.
Gurley was also the game-of-the-week champion for Sept. 4. Nan Jarrell claimed low net, while Zambelli seized low putts.
C.B. Aycock 9, Wilson Hunt 0
* WILSON -- C.B. Aycock continued its stellar play on the tennis courts this season with a 9-0 win over Wilson Hunt on Monday afternoon.
Brooke Barfield, Ashton Walker, Katie Gurley, Brittany Parrish, Misty Edwards and Caroline Bone each prevailed in singles play for the Golden Falcons.
The tandems of Barfield-Walker, Gurley-Edwards and Parrish-Bone each won their respective doubles match.
C.B. Aycock (11-0 overall) plays host to Southern Wayne today.
Greene Central 6, John A. Holmes 3
* EDENTON -- Greene Central secured two of three doubles points and squeezed out a 6-3, non-conference victory over perennial nemesis John A. Holmes on Monday afternoon.
The No. 2 tandem of Kayla Radford-Brittany Colie and No. 3 duo Chasity Holloman-Laurie Sutton helped the Rams extend their win streak to seven matches.
Colie, Hayes Lovett, Danielle Dillane and Mackenzie Butts each seized a singles point.
Greene Central (9-4 overall) plays Wilson Fike on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Corinth Holders 25-22, 25-22 -- Kallie Thornton and Samantha Allen each tallied two kills in the win. Kayla Hall led the Eagles with five aces. Rosewood improved to 7-2 overall.
* Volleyball: Eastern Wayne d. Spring Creek 25-19, 25-14 -- Jenna Rouse led the Warriors' attack with five kills and four aces. Eastern Wayne improved to 5-3 overall.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Rosewood 23-25, 25-7, 25-19, 22-25, 15-10 -- Norwayne won a thrilling five-set victory over Rosewood on Monday to improve to 2-0 on the season. Lexi Mercer led the Eagles with eight kills and five aces. The two teams will meet again on Thursday at Rosewood.
* Boys' soccer: Wayne Christian 4, Christ Covenant 1 -- Matt Jackson scored twice for the Eagles. Holden Foster and Matthew Swets added one goal apiece. Foster and Hunter Burt each recorded an assist. The Eagles improved to 3-2-0 this season.
* Boys' soccer: Eastern Wayne 11, Greenwood 3 -- Daniel Kaspar knocked in four goals for the Warriors, who improved to 1-2-0 overall this season. Ethan Quinn and Michael Eovine each had two goals. Aaron Seate, Jonathan Stevens and Tarcisio Torres delivered one goal apiece. Aaron Seate, Jacob Seate and Christian Anderson each had one assist. Davonte Brewington scored twice for the T-Birds, while teammate Drew Carson tallied one goal.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Grantham 26-24, 25-23, 25-8 -- Lexie Reyes served nine aces in the Gators' straight-set win. Veronica Martinez, Naomi Valdovinos and Alanna Price also contributed. Spring Creek (2-1 overall) travels to Norwayne on Sept. 20.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: Kim's goal lifts Eastern Wayne past county rival
- Cougars, Saints trading a little 'smack' off the field
- CBA snaps first-half deadlock
- Dogs stop Golden Falcons
- Lineup shuffle continues to work for Rosewood
- Goldsboro-Rosewood tennis box
- Cougars net historical league win
- Stevens: These rules you just can't break on football field
- Rosewood's Britt, Princeton's Evans record top times
- Preps digest: Warriors collect ECC tennis win on the road