Preps digest: Kim's goal lifts Eastern Wayne past county rival
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 16, 2011 1:49 PM
Eastern Wayne 1, Southern Wayne 0
* Eastern Wayne scored the deciding goal in the 58th minute and bested county rival Southern Wayne 1-0 in an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference game at Little Big Horn on Wednesday evening.
Jae Kim redirected a free kick off the foot of Kyle Sasser for the Warriors' lone goal.
Eastern Wayne out-shot Southern Wayne 9-4 and recorded five corner kicks to just two for the Saints.
Eastern Wayne (2-6-0 overall, 2-1-0 ECC) travels to C.B. Aycock on Monday. Southern Wayne (1-6-0, 0-2-0) plays host to two-time defending ECC regular-season champion South Johnston on Monday.
South Johnston 3, North Lenoir 1
* FOUR OAKS -- North Lenoir had its six-match winning streak snapped at South Johnston in a 3-1 defeat on Wednesday night.
Tyler Gray scored the Hawks' lone goal in the 75th minute.
Caleb Baird recorded 13 saves on the night.
North Lenoir (6-2 overall, 2-1 ECC) entertain Rosewood on Monday.
C.B. Aycock 1, Cleveland 0
* CLAYTON -- C.B. Aycock played near-perfect defense and delivered a 1-0 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Cleveland High School on Wednesday night.
Collin Zacharzuk collected a loose ball inside the 18-yard box and scored in the 58th minute.
C.B. Aycock (3-2-0 overall, 2-2-0 ECC) plays host to Rosewood tonight at 6 p.m.
Wayne Country Day 7,
Freedom Christian 0
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Senior striker Hil Tanner provided a hat trick (three goals) and one assist in Wayne Country Day's 7-0 non-conference triumph over Freedom Christian.
Doug Williams, Li Fengru, Thomas Kierski and Miller Gerard punched in one goal apiece for the Chargers. Cody Neal provided two assists, while Trent Proimos handed out one assist.
Zach Brewer-Kirby logged the shutout between the pipes.
Wayne Country Day (4-1-3 overall) opens its Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference season Friday at Faith Christian-Rocky Mount.
Wayne Country Day 2,
Cape Fear Academy 1
* WILMINGTON -- Margaux Pope and Bethany Stoutamire each scored one goal apiece in Wayne Country Day's 2-1 triumph over Cape Fear Academy on Tuesday afternoon.
Kennedy Dalton and Catherine Langston logged one assist apiece for the Chargers, who improved to 4-1-0 overall this season.
North Duplin 3, James Kenan 2
* WARSAW -- North Duplin claimed a hard-fought non-conference victory over James Kenan 25-20, 11-25, 25-22, 16-25, 15-6 on Wednesday afternoon.
Danielle Hinrichs led the Rebels with 14 kills and six digs. Skylar McCarty added 10 kills. Hannah Brock dished out 40 assists in the win.
North Duplin (7-3 overall) plays host to Princeton tonight at 6 p.m.
C.B. Aycock 9, Spring Creek 0
* PIKEVILLE -- C.B. Aycock collected yet another shutout with a 9-0 defeat of Spring Creek on Wednesday afternoon.
Brooke Barfield, Ashton Walker, Katie Gurley, Brittany Parrish, Caroline Bone and Tiffany Godwin each prevailed in singles action. Walker has dropped just three games in 25 sets played this season. The teams played 10-game pro sets in singles.
The tandems of Misty Edwards-Gurley, Barfield-Walker and Parrish-Bone each won their respective doubles match.
C.B. Aycock (13-0 overall) welcomes Greene Central on Monday. Spring Creek (3-1 overall) visits 2010 Carolina 1-A Conference champion Ayden-Grifton today.
Eastern Wayne 6, Rocky Mount 3
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Eastern Wayne captured four singles matches and held on for a 6-3 win over Rocky Mount on Wednesday afternoon.
Grace Delbridge, Savannah Sutton, Kristina Childre and Blake Govan each won in singles play. The doubles of Delbridge-Govan and Childre-Dove each captured their respective match.
Eastern Wayne (7-2 overall) travels to South Johnston today.
Neuse River Youth Football
* Princeton 20, Boys Club 0 -- No details provided.
* Mount Olive 7, Rosewood 0 -- Gage Outlaw threw a touchdown pass for the Hurricanes. Albert Brown had three tackles. Mount Olive (1-0 overall) entertains Spring Creek on Sept. 19.
* Rosewood 12, Princeton 2 -- No details provided.
* Mount Olive 12, Spring Creek 6 -- Taylen West and Jamari Leach each rushed for a touchdown in the Hurricanes' win. Jalen Thompson paced the defense with eight tackles. Mount Olive (2-0 overall) visits Grantham on Sept. 24.
* Princeton 20, Rosewood 0 -- No details provided.
* Mount Olive 12, Spring Creek 0 -- Mo Brooks and Gerald Furlow accounted for the Hurricanes' touchdowns.Juan Lopez and Deandre Wright logged six tackles apiece on defense. Jake McCullen had four stops. Mount Olive (2-0) is the guest of Grantham on Sept. 24.
Other Local Sports
- Triton shuts out C.B. Aycock
- Triton-CB Aycock box
- Preps digest: Darden leads Wayne Christian past Cresset
- Rosewood-Lejeune box
- Princeton-E. Carteret box
- Saints' ground attack too much for Goldsboro
- Southern Wayne-Goldsboro box
- N. Duplin-Dixon box
- Touchdown before halftime wakes up Bulldogs
- North Lenoir-Cleveland box