Preps digest: Warriors collect ECC tennis win on the road
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 16, 2011 1:49 PM
Eastern Wayne 9,
South Johnston 0
* FOUR OAKS --Four-time defending Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference champion Eastern Wayne claimed shutout decisions on the first four singles courts, and dominated South Johnston 9-0 on Thursday afternoon.
Grace Delbridge, Savannah Sutton, Jackie Johnson and Kristina Childre each did not surrender a game. Fifth-seeded Blake Govan triumphed 6-2, 6-0, while sixth-seeded McKenna Dove won 6-0, 6-1.
Sutton-Johnson, Delbridge-Govan and Dove-Leslie Wiggins completed the shutout in doubles play.
Eastern Wayne (8-2 overall, 6-1 ECC) is the guest of Wilson Fike on Monday. First serve is 4 p.m.
Spring Creek 9,
* Spring Creek improved to 3-0 in Carolina Conference play with a 9-0 pounding of Ayden-Grifton on Thursday afternoon.
Emily Daniel, Heather Frey, Katlyn Casey, Jordan Cook, Brittany Carmack and Tara Davis each earned a singles win for the Gators.
The doubles team of Daniel-Frey, Casey-Cook and Carmack-Davis were also victorious.
Spring Creek (4-1 overall, 3-0 CC) continues conference play at home Tuesday against Rosewood.
Greene Central 9,
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central posted shutouts in seven of nine contested matches and handed Wilson Beddingfield a 9-0 loss in Eastern Plains 2-A Conference play Thursday afternoon.
The Rams (11-4 overall, 7-0 EPC) extended their win streak to nine matches and shut out a conference opponent for the sixth time this season.
Jessica Hatch, Kayla Radford, Hayes Lovette and Danielle Dillane each claimed a straight-set shutout in singles. Brittany Colie lost one game, while Mackenzie Butts lost two games.
Hatch-Lovett, Radford-Colie and Chasity Holloman-Laurie Sutton each claimed a shutout on the doubles courts.
Princeton 3, North Duplin 1
* CALYPSO -- Princeton picked up its second Carolina 1-A Conference win of the season with a 25-20, 19-25, 25-23, 25-22 victory at North Duplin on Thursday evening.
Savanna Massengill pounded out 14 kills for the Bulldogs with three digs and two blocks. Hannah Woodard chipped in 10 digs, eight kills, three blocks and two aces. Nicole Melvin added seven kills and Amber Hill had six kills. Katlyn Peedin recorded 18 digs.
Hannah Brock distributed 20 assists for the Rebels to go with three aces. Skylar McCarty supplied 10 kills and Danielle Hinrichs had five kills. Ansley Hill added four aces and four kills.
Princeton visits Goldsboro on Tuesday while North Duplin (7-4 overall, 1-1 CC) travels to Ayden-Grifton.
Faith Christian 3, Cornerstone 1
* Faith Christian turned back visiting Cornerstone Christian 25-20, 25-20, 24-26, 25-10 on Thursday evening.
Christina Powell handed out 11 assists to go with four aces for the Conquerors. Katie Watson contributed seven digs, four aces and three kills. Elizabethe Weeks added nine aces and five kills. Abigail Pierce had four kills and two digs and Hannah Stocks finished with four aces and four kills.
Faith (2-2 overall, 1-2 Coastal Region 2-A) visits Bethel Christian today.
Wayne Christian 3, Pope John Paul 0
* Wayne Christian swept visiting Pope John Paul 25-15, 25-12, 25-11 on Thursday evening.
The Eagles' middle hitter Katie Caviness recorded a career-high 10 kills and Britney O'Hara also had 10 kills. Jessica Swets contributed seven kills and Carly Hightower added three kills. Haley Greenwood finished with eight digs and seven aces. Katie Isenhower handed out 21 assists to go with five aces.
Wayne Christian (9-1 overall) entertains Cresset Christian today.
Ayden-Grifton 3, Spring Creek 0
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek suffered a Carolina 1-A Conference loss to visiting Ayden-Grifton in straight sets on Thursday evening.
Bianca Morado had three blocks, two kills and one assist for the Gators. Sarah Ford contributed four assists and Kelsey Rogers added four kills.
Spring Creek (1-4 overall, 0-2 CC) travels to Rosewood on Tuesday.
Trinity Christian 3, Wayne Christian 1
* RALEIGH -- Wayne Christian couldn't make a 1-0 halftime lead stand up in a 3-1 loss at Carolina Christian 1-A Conference foe Trinity Christian on Thursday afternoon.
Victor Kokiko scored early in the first half on an assist from Chase Darden.
Wayne Christian (2-4-1 overall, 2-1 CCC) entertains Cresset Christian today.
Wayne Country Day 3, Cary Academy 0
* CARY -- Catherine Langston converted a penalty stroke and assisted on two goals in Wayne Country Day's 3-0 shutout of Cary Academy on Thursday afternoon.
Margaux Pope and Bethany Stoutamire each tallied a goal.
Wayne Country Day (5-1-0 overall) recorded its fourth shutout of the season, and continues play Sept. 28 at Cary Academy. The Chargers' first home game is Oct. 5 against Arendell-Parrott Academy.
Southern Wayne 22, Goldsboro 16
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne built a 22-0 lead after three quarters and hung on for a non-conference win over Goldsboro on Thursday evening.
Brion Kornegay led the Saints with 148 yards rushing including touchdown runs of 87 and four yards. Xavier Pearsall provided 70 yards on the ground and a touchdown. Markim McNair had 60 yards rushing and caught a pass on a two-point conversion. A.J. Williams had a 38-yard reception from quarterback Jacob Hollingsworth.
Clayton Cashwell recorded six tackles for Southern Wayne. Matt Holland and Darian Brinson each made four stops. Rontrell James provided a fumble recovery and Marquis Baldwin had an interception.
Rasheid Malette rushed for 171 yards and a touchdown on 19 carries for the Cougars. Goldsboro quarterback Toric Best completed 9 of 18 passes including a 15-yard touchdown pass to Christian Martensen. Travis Sauls led the Cougars' defense with 11 tackles. Isaiah Core added eight tackles and Te'Marco Suggs supplied six tackles and a fumble recovery. Taylin Davis had five tackles and a fumble recovery.
The Saints (2-1 overall) entertain Triton on Wednesday. Goldsboro plays host to Princeton next Thursday in a non-conference game. The Cougars were left with an open date on their schedule after Rocky Mount Prep was forced to withdraw from a game previously scheduled for next week.
* Volleyball: Faith Christian def. Bethel Christian 25-6, 26-24 -- Brooke Woodard served 14 aces for the Conquerors (2-0 overall) and Alyssa Culbreth had six aces.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Ayden-Grifton 23-25, 25-23, 26-24 -- Corrie Archer led the Gators (3-2 overall, 1-1 Carolina) with four digs. Diana Correna supplied four assists, three aces and two digs. Sydney Ocker had three aces and Ashton Ross provided three kills.
* Boys' soccer: Eastern Wayne 9, Greenwood 0 -- Daniel Kaspar and Aaron Seate each collected a hat trick (three goals) and two assists for the Warriors. Christian Anderson, Mickey Eovine and Benjamin Everett each supplied one goal. Anderson and Eovine each had one assist. Eastern Wayne improved to 2-0-0 overall, while Greenwood fell to 0-2-0. The Warriors entertain Grantham on Monday.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Norwayne 25-19, 25-10, 25-22 -- Hannah Daniels served 14 aces in the Eagles' straight-set win. Lexi Mercer contributed six aces and six kills. Rosewood (2-1 overall) plays host to Mount Olive on Monday.
Neuse River Youth Football
* C.B. Aycock d. Boys Club (no score) -- DeVonte Phillips returned the game-winning kickoff as the Little Falcons erased a 12-point deficit. Offensive leaders were Kaleb Moore and Brody Morton, while Austin Parker and Jonas Creel paced the defense.
* C.B. Aycock vs. Boys Club (no score) -- Jake Flowers and Luke Frederick emerged the Little Falcons' offensive leaders. Linebackers Mason Watt and Josh Wallace led the defense. Jordan Woodard returned a kick for a touchdown.
Other Local Sports
- Triton shuts out C.B. Aycock
- Triton-CB Aycock box
- Preps digest: Darden leads Wayne Christian past Cresset
- Rosewood-Lejeune box
- Princeton-E. Carteret box
- Saints' ground attack too much for Goldsboro
- Southern Wayne-Goldsboro box
- N. Duplin-Dixon box
- Touchdown before halftime wakes up Bulldogs
- North Lenoir-Cleveland box