Prep football briefs: Rebels dominate Dixon
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 17, 2011 11:05 PM
North Duplin 41, Dixon 12
* DIXON -- North Duplin rushed for 329 yards and five touchdowns in a dominating, 41-12 non-conference win at Dixon on Friday night.
The Rebels built a 27-6 halftime lead behind a touchdown run and reception from Devin Oliver; and touchdown runs by Tyler Royal and Julio Mora.
Mora and Oliver both added touchdown runs in the second half. Mora finished with a team-high 179 yards rushing on 20 carries. Oliver added 119 yards on the ground.
Royal was 1 for 3 passing with a 30-yard touchdown pass to Oliver.
North Duplin (3-1 overall) entertains Lejeune next Friday.
James Kenan 28, Union 7
* CLINTON -- James Kenan jumped out to a 20-0 lead and picked up its first win of the season with a 28-7 victory at Union on Friday night.
It was the Tri-County 1-A opener for both teams.
Devon Best rushed for three touchdowns for the Tigers and finished with 141 yards on the ground. Marcelias Sutton led Kenan with 166 yards on 19 carries as the Tigers racked up 399 rushing yards.
Frederick Miller tacked on a touchdown run in the fourth quarter.
Kenan (1-3 overall, 1-0 TCC) entertains Hobbton next Friday.
Greene Central 21,
Wilson Beddingfield 14
* WILSON -- Greene Central rallied from a 14-7 deficit en route to a 21-14 win on Friday night at Wilson Beddingfield in the Eastern Plains 2-A Conference opener for both teams.
The Rams (4-1 overall, 1-0 EPC) are off to their best start in head coach Ken Grantham's four seasons.
Greene Central's 11-play, 61/2-minute drive that spanned parts of the third and fourth quarters was capped by Rashad Yelverton's 7-yard touchdown run and his two-point conversion that put the Rams ahead for good. Yelverton finished with a game-high 117 yards rushing, while Beddingfield was held to just 110 yards of total offense.
Brandon Bishop's interception ended the Bruins' final drive.
Greene Central plays host to North Pitt next Friday.
Lejeune 45, Rosewood 33
* JACKSONVILLE -- Lejeune tailback Akile Jones rushed for 277 yards and accounted for six touchdowns in the Devilpups' 45-33 non-conference win over Rosewood on Friday night.
The Eagles fell behind 14-0 in the first quarter before Shane Whitley's 42-yard touchdown run pulled Rosewood to within 14-7. Shaquan Taylor's 5-yard score and Tevin Hines' fumble recovery in the end zone put the Eagles in front 20-14 in the second quarter.
Jones had touchdown runs of 62 and 54 yards in the second half, and also caught a 43-yard touchdown pass to break open a game that Lejeune led 27-26 at halftime.
Taylor led Rosewood with 115 yards rushing and three touchdowns. The Eagles pounded out 302 yards on 30 carries.
Rosewood (3-2 overall) has a bye next week before beginning Carolina 1-A Conference play at Ayden-Grifton on Oct. 1.
South Johnston 53,
Eastern Wayne 18
* South Johnston rolled past Eastern Wayne 53-18 on Friday night in the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference Opener for both teams.
Further details were not made available to the News-Argus.
The Warriors (0-5 overall) play host to Cleveland next Friday.
Cleveland 35, North Lenoir 0
* CLEVELAND -- Cleveland scored 21 third-quarter points and rolled past North Lenoir in the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opener for both teams Friday evening.
Alex Swain's 46-yard touchdown run in the first quarter put the Rams in front 7-0. Donqua Williams added a 22-yard touchdown reception in the second quarter. Andrew Daughtry and Xavier McLamb both hauled in touchdown receptions in the third quarter and Swain tacked on a 1-yard score.
Marsharee Troy led North Lenoir with 51 yards rushing on six carries. Anthony Miller supplied 42 yards on the ground.
The Hawks (1-4 overall) entertain Charles B. Aycock next Friday.
Other Local Sports
- Triton shuts out C.B. Aycock
- Triton-CB Aycock box
- Preps digest: Darden leads Wayne Christian past Cresset
- Rosewood-Lejeune box
- Princeton-E. Carteret box
- Saints' ground attack too much for Goldsboro
- Southern Wayne-Goldsboro box
- N. Duplin-Dixon box
- Touchdown before halftime wakes up Bulldogs
- North Lenoir-Cleveland box