By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on September 20, 2011 1:48 PM
Gators' Coor takes first
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Freshman Allen Coor led Spring Creek to a near-perfect finish during a non-conference boys' cross country meet on Monday afternoon.
Coor ran the 3.1-mile course in 19 minutes, 52 seconds in the Gators' 16-49 triumph over Southern Wayne. Teammates Gage Abbott, Justin Cianfarra and Nathan Tanner crossed the line in second through fourth place, respectively.
The Gators' Eli Lane placed sixth.
The Saints' Hassan White claimed fifth in 26:08.
Southern Wayne's Sharonne' Maultsby and Latrecis Johnson competed during the girls' portion of the meet. Maultsby finished first in 28:41, while Johnson posted a time of 35:01.
Spring Creek runs again Wednesday in a Carolina 1-A Conference meet at Princeton.
Aycock claims ECC meet
* Tara Simmons fired a 1-under par 35 and Charles B. Aycock easily defeated South Johnston and Cleveland on the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference scene Monday afternoon.
Jessie Stewart and Jordyn Howell carded nine-hole rounds of 45 and 52, respectively, to complete the Golden Falcons' team score of 132. The Trojans finished a distant second with 167, followed by Cleveland with 176.
Eastern Wayne 8, Wilson Fike 1
* Eastern Wayne triumphed on five singles courts and rolled to an 8-1, non-conference victory over Wilson Fike on Monday afternoon.
Savannah Sutton, Jackie Johnson, Kristina Childre, Blake Govan and McKenna Dove each picked up a straight-set singles win. Sutton-Johnson, Childre-Dove and Govan-Cailey Solomon each earned a doubles point.
The Warriors (9-2 overall) travel to Cleveland today.
North Lenoir 3, Rosewood 1
* LaGRANGE -- Filiberto Gonzalez notched the eventual game-winning goal in the 31st minute, and North Lenoir knocked off Rosewood 3-1 at Bullock Field on Monday evening.
Jake Olejniczak converted a penalty kick in the sixth minute after an Eagle defender was called for a handball in the box. More than 20 minutes later, Gonzalez knocked in a header off Oscar Navarette's corner kick.
Navarette's indirect kick resulted in a goal-scoring header from Chastin Radford in the 59th minute.
Hawks keeper Caleb Baird logged 11 saves.
North Lenoir (7-2-0 overall) travels to Cleveland on Thursday.
South Johnston 5, Southern Wayne 1
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne proved to be no match for perennial Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference soccer power South Johnston in a 5-1 loss on Monday night.
Jose Rodriquez scored the Saints' lone goal.
Midway 3, Rosewood 1
* SPIVEYS CORNER -- Rosewood got off to a hot start but could not sustain the momentum in an 18-25, 25-22, 25-12, 25-21 defeat at Midway on Monday night.
Crystal Allen led the Eagles with six kills and four blocks. Laura Vinson also tallied six kills and Anna Ingram recorded four kills and six blocks. Stephanie Hall finished with five assists and four digs.
Rosewood (8-3 overall) will play host to Spring Creek tonight at 6 p.m.
Clinton 3, Goldsboro
* CLINTON -- Goldsboro could not get the critical point at the critical time in a 25-18, 27-25, 28-26 loss to Clinton on Monday afternoon.
Brandy Johnson led the Cougars with three kills. Dorian Wences added three aces in the defeat.
Goldsboro (4-7 overall) plays host to Princeton tonight at 6 p.m.
Wayne Country Day 3, Pope John Paul 0
* Rachel Uzzell dished out nine assists and Jessica Zhou paced the defense with six digs in Wayne Country Day's 25-10, 25-18, 25-13 triumph over Pope John Paul on Monday afternoon.
Uzzell served four aces and cranked out two kills for the Chargers, who improved to 5-8 overall this season. Zhou added three aces and four kills, while Brooke Neal contributed four aces and two kills.
Sarah Crooks collected eight aces.
Wayne Country Day travels to Faith Christian-RM on Sept. 26.
* Volleyball: Clinton d. Goldsboro 25-9, 25-7 -- Goldsboro dropped to 3-5 overall. The Cougars entertain Princeton this afternoon.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Mount Olive 25-11, 25-19, 25-17 -- Alyssa Garrison served 15 aces and Lexi Mercer recorded eight aces in the straight-set win. The Eagles improved to 3-1 overall.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Brogden 25-3, 25-13, 25-13 -- Norwayne improved to 3-1 overall with a win at Brogden on Monday aftenoon. The Cobras play host to Spring Creek today.
* Soccer: Brogden 1, Norwayne 0 -- Alejandro Sandoval scored the game-winning goal for Brogden in a 1-0 win over Norwayne on Monday afternoon. Alexis Gonzalez earned the shutout in net for the Rams. Brogden improved to 2-0 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Triton tops Eastern Wayne soccer
- Trojans hire Olympic medalist
- Southern Wayne-Triton set for gridiron showdown
- Local digest
- C.B. Aycock downs Princeton soccer
- Local Preps Digest
- Rodriguez sparks Trojans to first win
- Aycock earns ECC sweep
- Greenfield shuts out Wayne Country Day
- Urquiola knocks out one preseason goal