By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 22, 2011 1:48 PM
Aycock triumphs at Willow Springs
* WILSON -- Tara Simmons fashioned a sterling 3-under par 33 and Charles B. Aycock emerged victorious in a three-team, non-conference meet on the Willow Springs Country Club links Wednesday afternoon.
Jessie Stewart contributed a 46. Jordyn Howell and Madison Aycock logged identical nine-hole rounds of 55 for the Golden Falcons, who bested Wilson Fike 134-171.
Beddingfield was third at 181.
Aycock improved to 11-0 overall this season.
Lane Tree LGA
* Novella Zambelli claimed game-of-the-week honors during play on the Lane Tree Golf Club links. Teresa Shearin and Mary Ann Sutton captured low net and low putts, respectively.
Coor, Evans emerge victorious
* PRINCETON -- A pair of freshmen captured first place during the second Carolina 1-A Conference boys' and girls' cross country meet contested on a humid Wednesday afternoon at Princeton High School.
Spring Creek's Allen Coor ran the 3.1-mile course in 18 minutes, 59 seconds. He helped the Gators finish second in the team chase behind Princeton, 27-64. The Bulldogs placed five runners among the top nine on their home trail.
North Duplin ended up third with 81 points, followed by Goldsboro (87) and Rosewood (93).
Midway's Caleb Sanders (19:07), Goldsboro's Victor Prezbindowski (19:19) and the Bulldogs' tandem of Quinn Dougherty (19:25) and Will Toler (19:38) rounded out the top five.
Princeton's Megan Evans claimed the girls' race in 25:31.
Rosewood's Ashley Doran (25:40), North Duplin's Samantha Wilkins (25:42) and Goldsboro's duo of Tiara Maynor (26:07) and Grayson Collins (26:16) completed the top five.
The Eagles took the team portion of the race with a slim 39-41 triumph over the Bulldogs. The Cougars collected 38 points, while the Gators and Rebels didn't have enough runners to post a team score.
C.B. Aycock 9, North Lenoir 0
* PIKEVILLE -- C.B. Aycock dominated singles play and cruised to a 9-0 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent North Lenoir on Wednesday afternoon.
Brooke Barfield, Ashton Walker, Katie Gurley, Misty Edwards, Kimber Pender and Tiffany Godwin each prevailed in singles play for the Golden Falcons.
The tandems of Rachel Jackson-Pender, Barfield-Walker and Gurley-Edwards each won during doubles action.
C.B. Aycock (15-0 overall, 8-0 ECC) will travel to South Johnston today.
Eastern Wayne 9, Cleveland 0
* CLAYTON -- Eastern Wayne dispatched Clevleand 9-0 on the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tennis scene on Wednesday night.
Grace Delbridge, Savannah Sutton, Jackie Jonson, Kristina Childre, Blake Govan and McKenna Dove each won their respective singles match for the Warriors.
In doubles play the duos of Sutton-Johnson, Delbridge-Govan and Childre-Dove swept the Rams.
Eastern Wayne (10-2, 7-1) will travel to Southern Wayne on Tuesday.
Greene Central 8, Tarboro 1
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central remained unbeaten in Eastern Plains 2-A Conference action with an 8-1 thrashing of league nemesis Tarboro on Wednesday afternoon.
Kayla Radford, Brittany Colie, Hayes Lovett, Laurie Sutton and Mackenzie Butts each seized a singles point. Hatch-Lovett, Radford-Colie and Chasity Holloman-Danielle Dillane completed a sweep in doubles.
The Rams (12-5 overall, 8-0 EPC) play Kinston today.
Southern Wayne 3, Spring Creek 2
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne ovrecame a first set defeat to take down county rival Spring Creek 9-25, 25-22, 24-26, 25-13, 15-4 on Wednesday night.
Emily Carr set the pace for the Saints' offense with 30 assists. Deborrah Bennett led the team with 10 kills. Madison Davis added nine kills.
Sarah Ford tallied 19 assists for the Gators. Kelsey Rogers led Spring Creek with 11 kills while Bianca Morado finished with eight kills.
Southern Wayne (3-7 overall) will travel to Triton on Tuesday. Spring Creek will be the guest of Goldsboro tonight at 6 p.m.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Southern Wayne 25-21, 14-25, 25-22 -- Storie Westbrook led the Gators with four kills. Corrie Archer and Sydney Ocker each finished with three aces.
* Football: Triton 46, Southern Wayne 28 -- A.J. Williams led the Saints offense with 138 yards on the ground and two touchdowns. Williams also hauled-in a 24-yard touchdown pass from Jacob Hollingsworth. Xavier Pearsoll finished with 75 yards rushing for Southern Wayne. Clayton Cashwell emerged the Saints leading receiver with 58 yards on two catches. Marquaill Roddick led Southern Wayne with eight tackles. Southern Wayne (2-2 overall) will travel to Clevleand on Sept. 29.