By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on September 27, 2011 1:49 PM
North Lenoir 2, Eastern Wayne 0
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir posted its third shutout of the season in a 2-0 victory over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival Eastern Wayne on Wednesday night.
Tyler Gray got the Hawks on the board in the 33rd minute when he scored off an assist by Oscar Avila. Chastin Radford added an insurance marker in the 64th minute when he connected on a pass by Justin Shimer.
Caleb Baird stopped 12 shots in net for North Lenoir.
Eastern Wayne (3-8-0 overall, 3-3 ECC) travels to South Johnston on Wednesday, while North Lenoir (9-2-0, 4-1 ECC) will play host to Cleveland.
Ayden-Grifton 8, Goldsboro 5
* Goldsboro found its offense early and often but could not hold off a potent Ayden-Grifton attack in an 8-5 defeat on the Carolina 1-A Conference soccer scene on Monday afternoon.
Jeffrey Martinez tallied two goals for the Cougars. Damon Pate, Ethan Minshew and Victor Prezbindowski each tallied one additional goal in the defeat.
Goldsboro (1-8-1 overall, 0-1 CC) entertains Rosewood on Wednesday.
Faith Christian-RM 3,
Wayne Country Day 2
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Faith Christian of Rocky Mount overcame a hot start by Wayne Country Day and claimed a hard-fought 14-25, 18-25, 25-20, 29-27, 15-4 win on Monday night.
Jessica Zhou led the Chargers with eight kills and six digs. Bailee Creger finished with six kills and five aces. Brooke Neal added five kills, six digs and three assists.
Wayne Country Day (5-9 overall, 1-2 CPIC) entertains Freedom Christian tonight.
Corinth-Holders 3, Rosewood 1
* CLAYTON -- Corinth-Holders rallied past visiting Rosewood 25-16, 20-25, 25-9, 25-15 on Monday night in non-conference action.
Ellen Morgan led the Eagles with seven kills. Megan Tyndall added five kills and seven assists. Summer Jones recorded nine digs and Crystal Allen finished with eight blocks.
Rosewood (9-4 overall) plays host to Princeton tonight at 6 p.m.
Wayne Christian 3, Spring Creek 1
* Wayne Christian held off a Spring Creek rally for a 25-20, 25-15, 25-27, 25-8 win on Monday afternoon.
Kelsey Rogers finished with six kills for the Gators. Sarah Ford tallied six assists and four kills in the defeat. Lolita Correna recorded four assists.
Spring Creek (1-9 overall) entertains North Duplin today.
* Volleyball: Wayne Country Day d. Faith of RM 25-22, 26-24 -- Tiffany Larsen and Logan Harrell each finished with two kills in the win. Teriece Hawley and Taylor Sledge each recorded two aces. Wayne Country Day (5-3 overall) faces Freedom Christian today.
* Volleyball: Corinth Holders d. Rosewood 25-15, 25-19 -- Kayla Hardy and Samantha Allen each recorded three aces in the defeat. Rosewood (8-5 overall) plays host to Princeton today.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Wayne Christian 25-8, 25-7 -- Stormie Westbrook and Olivia Martinez each finished with three kills in the win. Sarah Ford dished out six assists. Spring Creek improved to 6-4 overall.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Grantham 25-11, 25-13, 25-20 -- Lexi Mercer led the Eagles with six kills and four aces. Hannah Daniels added eight aces in the win. Rosewood (5-1 overall) travels to Eastern Wayne on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Spring Creek 25-17, 25-9, 25-22 -- Norwayne improved to 6-1 overall with a win over Spring Creek. The Cobras will play host to Dillard on Thursday.
* Soccer: Brogden 3, Mount Olive 1 -- Victor Ponce, Alejandro Sandoval and Angel Zuniga each scored one goal for the Rams. Brogden (3-0 overall) welcomes Grantham on Thursday.