Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 28, 2011 1:48 PM
Eastern Wayne 9, Southern Wayne 0
* DUDLEY -- Eastern Wayne hammered Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival Southern Wayne 9-0 on Tuesday afternoon.
Grace Delbridge, Savannah Sutton, Jackie Johnson, Kristina Childre, Blake Govan and Leslie Wiggins all recorded singles points for the Warriors. The doubles teams of Sutton-Johnson, Delbridge-Govan and Childre-Wiggins also prevailed.
Eastern Wayne (11-2 overall, 8-1 ECC) entertains Greene Central in non-conference play today.
C.B. Aycock 9, Cleveland 0
* PIKEVILLE -- Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference leader Charles B. Aycock remained undefeated with a 9-0 thumping of Cleveland on Tuesday afternoon.
Brooke Barfield, Katie Gurley, Brittany Parrish, Misty Edwards, Caroline Bone and Tiffany Godwin each earned a victory in singles play for the Golden Falcons.
The doubles teams of Barfield-Ashton Walker, Gurley-Edwards and Parrish-Bone also won.
Aycock (17-0 overall, 10-0 ECC) visits Wilson Hunt today.
Wayne Country Day 7,
Faith Christian-RM 2
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Unbeaten Wayne Country Day launched its 2011 Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference season with a 7-2 triumph over Faith Christian of Rocky Mount.
Gianna Democko, Sarah Best, Mack Thompson and Katherine Roethling each secured a singles point. Best-Thompson, Democko-K. Roethling and Mollie Catherine McDonald-Meredith Roethling completed the Chargers' sweep in doubles.
Wayne Country Day (6-0 overall, 1-0 CPIC) travels to The Oakwood School on Thursday.
Spring Creek 8, Goldsboro 1
* Spring Creek knocked off Carolina 1-A Conference foe Goldsboro 8-1 on Tuesday afternoon.
Emily Daniel, Heather Frey, Katlyn Casey, Colleen Finlay and Anna Haggerty all provided singles victories for the Gators. The doubles teams of Daniel-Frey, Casey-Jordan Cook and Finlay-Brittany Carmack also won.
Davis Houtzer supplied the Cougars' lone point at No. 6 singles.
Spring Creek (5-1 overall, 4-0 CC) continues conference play against North Duplin at Mount Olive College on Thursday.
North Duplin 3, Spring Creek 0
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- North Duplin swept Carolina 1-A Conference foe Spring Creek 25-22, 25-18, 25-17 on Tuesday evening.
Tearra Ammons recorded seven aces, five kills and six digs for the Rebels. Hannah Brock provided four aces and a kill. Kristen Martin added three aces and a kill. Alonna Pate finished with three aces and three kills. Ansley Hill supplied six digs and two kills. Danielle Hinrichs had 13 digs and five kills.
Skylar McCarty contributed five kills and three aces.
North Duplin visits Union today.
Freedom Christian 3, Wayne Country Day 0
* Wayne Country Day endured a 25-14, 25-16, 25-14 loss to visiting Freedom Christian on Tuesday evening.
Brooke Neal contributed four digs and two aces for the Chargers. Sarah Crooks chipped in three kills, three digs and an ace. Jessica Zhou finished with four assists, four digs, two kills and an ace. Rachel Uzzell had four digs and two assists.
Wayne Country Day (5-10 overall) travels to Epiphany on Thursday.
Hilltop Christian 3, Faith Christian 0
* FUQUAY-VARINA -- Faith Christian suffered a 25-10, 25-17, 27-25 loss at Hilltop Christian on Tuesday evening.
Christina Powell distributed eight assists for the Conquerors. Katie Watson supplied three aces and three kills, Meredith Clarke provided three blocks and two kills. Abigail Pierce had four blocks and two digs.
Faith (1-5 overall) faces Liberty Christian on Monday.
Ayden-Grifton 3, Goldsboro 0
* AYDEN -- Goldsboro lost 25-22, 25-19, 25-17 on Tuesday evening at Ayden-Grifton in Carolina 1-A Conference play.
Ana Harris collected seven kills and seven assists for the Cougars. Yusely Lares handed out eight assists and Kasheika Wallace had six kills.
Goldsboro (5-9 overall, 1-4 CC) plays host to North Duplin on Thursday.
Cleveland 3, Eastern Wayne 0
* CLAYTON -- Cleveland handed Eastern Wayne a 25-16, 25-18, 25-20 Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference loss on Tuesday evening.
Kendra Nash distributed 12 assists for the Warriors. Rachel McCollum provided six kills and Allyson Newsome had five kills. Jasmine Middleton supplied three digs.
Eastern Wayne (4-10 overall, 0-8 ECC) entertains Jones Senior today.
Greenfield 9, Wayne Christian 1
* WILSON -- Chase Darden scored Wayne Christian's only goal off Seth Slusher's assist in a 9-1 loss at Greenfield on Tuesday.
The Eagles travel to Grace Christian in Sanford on Friday.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Hiromi Sueki claimed low-gross honors during weekly play at Walnut Creek Country Club. Charlotte Campbell and Linda Cannon seized low net and low putts, respectively.
Lane Tree LGA
* Teresa Shearin emerged the game-of-the-week winner during play at Lane Tree Golf Club. Nan Jarrell and Novella Zambelli captured low net and low putts, respectively.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. Rosewood 25-10, 25-11 -- Ashlynn Spell contributed four digs for the Eagles. Kayla Hardee had two assists.
* Volleyball: Wayne Country Day d. Freedom Christian 25-17, 18-25, 15-8 -- Stephanie Schappell recorded four aces, two kills and a dig for the Chargers. Logan Harrell collected four assists, three aces and a kill. Wayne Country Day (6-3 overall) visits Epiphany on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Ayden Grifton d. Goldsboro 25-17, 25-6 -- Goldsboro fell to 3-8. The Cougars entertain North Duplin on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Eastern Wayne d. Cleveland 25-23, 25-19 -- The Warriors (8-6 overall) improved to 4-4 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play.
Neuse River Youth Football League
* Rosewood 14, Spring Creek 6 -- Jeffrey Getchell scored both touchdowns and added a two-point conversion for the Eagles. Chris Hill had one two-point conversion. Other offensive leaders were Anthony Hines, Ja'shawn Northam, Amrei Atwell, Case Kermode and Gus Godwin. The defense was led by Hinton Cox (fumble recovery), Montreai' Woodard, Trent Lancaster, Jack White and David Baker.
* Boys' Club 6, Eastern Wayne 0 -- No details submitted
* Eastern Wayne 27, Boys' Club 12 -- No details submitted.