Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 30, 2011 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 3, South Johnston 2
* FOUR OAKS -- Charles B. Aycock rallied from a two-set deficit and pulled out a pivotal 22-25, 21-25, 25-21, 25-20, 15-9 win at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent South Johnston on Thursday evening.
Madison Mercer finished with 18 kills and seven blocks for the Golden Falcons. Connor Davis contributed 12 kills and seven aces. Rachel Jordan distributed 27 assists.
The Golden Falcons (10-3 overall, 6-2 ECC) plays host to Cleveland on Tuesday.
Princeton 3, Spring Creek 0
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Princeton rolled past Carolina 1-A Conference foe Spring Creek 25-13, 25-10, 25-17 on Thursday evening.
Savanna Massengill led the Bulldogs with eight kills, and added five service aces and three blocks. Hannah Woodard supplied six kills and Megan Gerrell and Amber Hill each recorded five kills. Katlyn Peedin tallied 11 digs.
Nicole Melvin added seven aces.
Lolita Correna distributed seven assists for the Gators to go with three aces. Sarah Ford had five assists and two kills. Gracia Aguirre provided five digs.
Spring Creek visits Eastern Wayne on Monday, while Princeton (12-2 overall, 6-0 CC) entertains North Duplin on Tuesday.
Rosewood 3, Ayden-Grifton
* Rosewood rolled past visiting Ayden-Grifton 25-16, 25-21, 25-12 in Carolina 1-A Conference play on Thursday evening.
Crystal Allen supplied five blocks and five kills for the Eagles. Megann Tyndall handed out five assists and Anna Ingram added five aces. Summer Jones finished with five digs.
Rosewood (10-5 overall, 5-1 CC) travels to Goldsboro on Tuesday.
Epiphany 3, Wayne Country Day 1
* Wayne Country Day suffered a 25-16, 27-25, 26-28, 25-18 loss to visiting Epiphany on Thursday evening.
Sarah Crooks contributed eight aces, five kills, three digs and two assists for the Chargers. Rachel Uzzell distributed 11 assists and also had four aces and three digs. Jessica Zhou added eight digs, seven kills and two aces.
Wayne Country Day (5-11 overall) plays host to Oakwood on Tuesday.
Southern Wayne 5, South Johnston 4
* Southern Wayne slipped past South Johnston 5-4 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play on Thursday afternoon.
Taylor Davis, Hope Rose and Claire Kennedy each earned wins in singles play for the Saints. The doubles teams of Taylor-Parker and Michala Best-Kennedy also prevailed.
Southern Wayne (4-6) visits North Lenoir on Tuesday.
Goldsboro 7, Ayden-Grifton 2
* Goldsboro defeated Carolina 1-A Conference foe Ayden-Grifton 7-2 on Thursday afternoon.
Elissa Briggs, Jessica Calvert, Hunter Houtzer and Davis Houtzer all recorded a singles victory for the Cougars. The doubles teams of Briggs-Cassidy Morris, Calvert-Mackensie Malham and Hunter Houtzer-Casey Hoggard also won.
Goldsboro improved to 3-3 in conference play and travels to Rosewood on Tuesday.
Spring Creek 7, North Duplin 2
* Spring Creek knocked off North Duplin 7-2 in Carolina 1-A Conference play on Thursday afternoon.
Katlyn Casey, Colleen Finlay, Jordan Cook and Anna Haggerty each contributed a singles point for the Gators. The teams of Emily Daniel-Heather Frey, Casey-Jordan Cook and Finlay-Haggerty were victorious in doubles.
Lea Taylor and Jasmin Quintanilla won their respective singles matches for the Rebels.
Spring Creek (6-1 overall, 5-0 CC) entertains Rosewood on Monday, while North Duplin visits Ayden-Grifton next Thursday.
Wayne Country Day 8, Oakwood 1
* Wayne Country Day remained unbeaten with an 8-1 win over Oakwood on Thursday at Wayne Community College.
Gianna Democko, Sarah Best, Mack Thompson, Katherine Roethling, Mollie McDonald and Meredith Roethling each provided a singles point for the Chargers. The doubles teams of Best-Thompson and McDonald-Meredith Roethling were also victorious.
Wayne Country Day (7-0 overall) plays host to conference rival Greenfield on Monday.
Goldsboro 20, Princeton 14
* PRINCETON -- Rasheid Malette rushed for 122 yards and a touchdown as Goldsboro hung on for a 20-14 win over Carolina 1-A Conference foe Princeton on Thursday evening.
Johnny Frazier's 14-yard run and a two-point conversion gave the Bulldogs an 8-0 lead in the second quarter.
Joke Baker's 16-yard touchdown reception from Toric Best pulled the Cougars to within 8-6 in the third quarter. Malette's 27-yard touchdown run and his two-point conversion put Goldsboro ahead 14-8.
Taylin Davis' 34-yard punt return in the fourth quarter increased the Cougars' lead to 20-8. Frazier added a 66-yard kickoff return for Princeton.
Best finished 4 for 6 passing for 61 yards. Malette had three catches for 45 yards.
South Johnston 26, C.B. Aycock 14
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock endured a 26-14 loss to Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent South Johnston on Thursday night.
Golden Falcons' running back R'keesh Green rushed for 106 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries. Dillon Baker added 26 yards and a touchdown. Quarterback Bobby Hampton was 6 for 13 passing for 68 yards. Michael Easly had four receptions for 44 yards.
Triston O'Brien led Aycock's defense with 12 tackles. Jordan West recorded seven stops. Rick Swinson had an interception.
Cleveland 34, Southern Wayne 22
* CLAYTON -- Southern Wayne trailed 28-0 at halftime and couldn't quite complete the comeback in a 34-22 loss at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Cleveland on Thursday night.
Saints' quarterback Jacob Hollingsworth threw an 8-yard touchdown pass to Tony Fields and a 10-yard pass for a score to Clayton Cashwell. Brendell Bass hauled in a two-point conversion. A.J. Williams added 96 yards rushing, including a 42-yard touchdown run.
Cashwell led the defense with six tackles and an assist. Matt Hollan had three tackles, four assists and a fumble recovery. Charles Brewer provided four tackles and five assists. Bass and Marquaill Roddick each had an interception.
Southern Wayne (2-3 overall, 0-2 ECC) entertains Eastern Wayne next Thursday.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. Spring Creek 25-15, 25-12 -- Sarah Ford collected three assists, a kill and a service ace for the Bulldogs. Corrie Archer had three aces and a kill.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Ayden-Grifton 25-18, 25-12 -- Kayla Hardee finished with four assists and two aces for the Eagles. Hayley Mercer had two blocks and two kills. Emily Brock distributed six assists.
* Volleyball: Wayne Country Day d. Epiphany 22-25, 25-12, 25-17 -- Logan Harrell finished with 10 aces, seven assists and two kills for the Chargers. Taylor Sledge had five aces, two kills and two assists. Wayne Country Day (6-3 overall) entertains Oakwood on Tuesday.
* Volleyball: South Johnston d. C.B. Aycock 25-14, 25-20 -- Emily Borel recorded four kills for the Golden Falcons.
* Football: Greenwood 22, Spring Creek 6 -- Josh Wooten and Tashaun Evans both scored touchdowns for Greenwood. Greenwood (1-3 overall) plays host to Grantham next Thursday.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Dillard 25-10, 25-8, 25-11 -- Norwayne (7-1 overall) travels to Mount Olive next Thursday.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Eastern Wayne 25-12, 25-5, 25-21 -- Hanna Daniels recorded 11 service aces for the Eagles and Ada Rivera had nine. Rosewood (6-1 overall) plays host to Brogden on Monday.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Greenwood 25-22, 19-25, 25-20, 27-25 -- Alanna Price finished with 9 aces for the Gators. Daisy Martinez had six aces and five kills.
* Soccer: Brogden d. Grantham 3-1 -- Victor Ponce scored twice for Brogden and Alejandro Sandoval added a goal. Brogden (4-0-0 overall) plays Rosewood on Monday.