Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 5, 2011 1:49 PM
Spring Creek 8, Ayden-Grifton 1
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek polished off its first Carolina 1-A Conference regular-season championship since 2008 with an 8-1 victory over Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday afternoon.
Emily Daniel, Heather Frey, Katlyn Casey, Jordan Cook and Brittany Carmack all recorded singles victories for the Gators. The doubles teams of Daniel-Frey, Casey-Cook and Colleen Finlay-Carmack also won.
Spring Creek (9-1 overall, 8-0 CC) returns to action Oct. 11 in the season-ending Carolina Conference tournament at Herman Park.
Eastern Wayne 8, Triton 1
* ERWIN -- Eastern Wayne hammered Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Triton 8-1 on Tuesday afternoon.
Grace Delbridge, Savannah Sutton, Kristina Childre, Blake Govan and McKenna Dove each earned a singles victory for the Warriors. The doubles teams of Sutton-Jackie Johnson, Delbridge-Govan and Childre-Dove also won.
Eastern Wayne (12-4 overall, 9-2 ECC) concludes regular-season play at home today against North Lenoir.
Southern Wayne 6, North Lenoir 3
* LaGRANGE -- Southern Wayne knocked off Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe North Lenoir 6-3 on Tuesday afternoon.
Michala Best, Taylor Davis, Mollianne Kennedy, Hope Rose and Claire Kennedy each collected a singles point for the Saints. Southern Wayne won the No. 3 doubles match by forfeit.
Olivia Tyler recorded a victory at No. 2 singles for the Hawks. The doubles teams of Austin Griffith-Brianna Howell and Olivia Tyler-Tilghman Whitley also prevailed.
Southern Wayne (6-9 overall, 5-6 ECC) entertains regular-season champion Charles B. Aycock on Thursday.
Princeton 3, North Duplin 0
* PRINCETON -- Princeton retained sole possession of first place in the Carolina 1-A Conference with a 25-15, 25-16, 25-15 sweep of North Duplin on Tuesday evening.
Amber Hill led the Bulldogs with 10 kills. Savanna Massengill and Hannah Woodard each recorded five kills. Megan Gerrell supplied seven digs and three kills. Nicole Melvin added five aces and two kills. Katlyn Peedin finished with 10 digs.
Hannah Brock distributed 15 assists for the Rebels. Ansley Hill had eight digs and Skylar McCarty collected six kills. Danielle Hinrichs tallied 12 digs and five kills. Tearra Ammons had five kills.
Princeton (13-2 overall, 7-0 CC) continues Carolina 1-A Conference play on Thursday when it entertains Goldsboro in a cancer awareness match. All proceeds from the match go to Johnston County Relay for Life.
North Duplin (11-6, 4-3) entertains Ayden-Grifton on Thursday.
Rosewood 3, Goldsboro 0
* Rosewood turned back county rival Goldsboro 25-10, 25-10, 25-16 on Tuesday evening.
Megan Tyndall contributed five assists and four service aces for the Eagles. Kerri Jo Gurley provided five aces and three digs. Rachyle McAlduff had five assists and Stephanie Hall add five aces. Anna Ingram finished with four aces and Crystal Allen recorded four kills.
Dorian Wences had three aces for the Cougars. Brandy Johnson added four kills and Kashieka Wallace finished with three kills.
Rosewood (13-5 overall 6-1 CC) travels to Spring Creek on Thursday, while Goldsboro (5-11, 1-6) travels to Princeton.
Bethel Christian 3, Faith Christian 1
* With three starters playing through injuries, Faith Christian couldn't overcome Bethel Christian in a 25-23, 25-23, 25-27, 25-5 loss on Tuesday evening.
The Conquerors entertain Falls Road on Friday.
Ayden-Grifton 3, Spring Creek 0
* AYDEN -- Spring Creek endured a 25-23, 25-18, 25-17 loss at Carolina 1-A Conference foe Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday.
Sarah Ford distributed nine assists for the Gators. Kelsey Rogers had seven kills, three service aces and three blocks.
Spring Creek (1-12 overall, 0-7 CC) plays host to Rosewood on Thursday.
Princeton 4, Ayden-Grifton 0
* Oliver Balderas collected two goals in a 4-0 victory over Ayden-Grifton in Carolina 1-A Conference action.
Ethan Anderson and Trevor Haines added one goal apiece. Josh Boykin and Lane Dougherty each recorded an assist.
Zach Parker logged 10 saves and earned the shutout between the pipes.
Eagles finish second
* Host Wayne Christian finished second in a 10-team meet on Tuesday afternoon.
Grace Christian of Raleigh won the boys' portion of the meet with a team score of 32. The Eagles were second with 69 points. Epiphany (70), Pope John Paul (169) and Wayne Country Day (210) rounded out the team scoring.
Wayne Christian's Connor Jones was the top male runner with a time of 17 minutes, 19 seconds. Teammates Mark Sawyer and Spencer Foster finished ninth and 11th, respectively.
Robert Glass led WCDS with a 20th-place finish. Jackson Warren was 22nd.
Faith Christian of Rocky Mount won the girls' portion of the meet with 48 points. Epiphany was second with 79. Grace Christian (122) and Wilson Christian (140) completed the team scoring. Wayne Christian and Wayne Country Day did not earn team scores.
The Chargers' Catherine Ford (25:05) and Emily Warren (25:06) were 10th and 11th, respectively. The Eagles' Sarah Allen finished 15th.
Lane Tree LGA
* Teresa Shearin claimed game-of-the-week honors during weekly play at Lane Tree Golf Club. Linda Watson earned low net and Betty Jean Gurley seized low putts.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Jewel Ivey emerged the low gross winner during play on the Walnut Creek Country Club links. Hiromi Sueki and Mary Morris shared low net. Linda Cannon seized low putts.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Goldsboro 25-14, 25-16 -- Logan Merritt tallied four aces for the Eagles. Callie Thornton had two aces and Ashlynn Spell added two digs.
* Volleyball: Bethel Christian d. Faith Christian 25-23, 14-25, 25-20 -- The Conquerors' record fell to 3-2.
* Volleyball: Ayden-Grifton d. Spring Creek 25-12, 25-21 -- Sarah Ford had three aces, three assists and two kills for the Gators. Alisha Gordan provided three assists.
* Volleyball: C.B. Aycock d. Cleveland 25-15, 26-24 -- Courtney Warren delivered nine kills for the Golden Falcons, who improved to 6-8 overall.
Neuse River Youth Football
* C.B. Aycock 29, Princeton 0 -- Game details not submitted.
* C.B. Aycock 33, Princeton 20 -- Game details not submitted.
* Boys' soccer: Wayne Christian 7, Christ Covenant 1 -- Holden Foster, Hunter Burt, Chandler Gentry, Nathan Taylor, Cole Brewer, Drake Wise and Cody Easom each tallied a goal for the Eagles. Jaxon Anderson provided an assist. Wayne Christian improved to 5-5-0 overall this season.
Other Local Sports
- Grace-Raleigh sweeps Eagles in CCC 1-A finale
- Jones scores WCS' lone goal in loss
- Local Preps Digest
- Stevens: Williamson gaining confidence with each snap
- Local preps digest
- C.B. Aycock claims cross country meet
- ECC 3-A Cross Country results
- Spring Creek bests Goldsboro soccer
- Rosewood takes down AG soccer
- Carolina 1-A Cross Country results