Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 7, 2011 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 3, Eastern Wayne 0
* Charles B. Aycock knocked off Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival Eastern Wayne 25-19, 25-14, 25-16 on Thursday evening.
Connor Davis hammered out 12 kills for the Golden Falcons. Madison Mercer supplied eight kills and four blocks. Emily Martin recorded eight aces.
Aycock (12-3 overall, 8-2 ECC) visits North Lenoir on Monday, while the Warriors visit Triton on Tuesday.
Wayne Country Day 3, Greenfield 0
* Wayne Country Day turned back rival Greenfield 25-9, 25-4, 25-14 in a Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference match Thursday evening.
Rachel Uzzell provided 10 assists and five aces for the Chargers. Sarah Crooks finished with eight kills, five aces, three assists and three digs. Brooke Neal added seven aces and four kills. Bailee Creger had four aces and four kills.
Wayne Country Day (6-12 overall, 2-4 CPIC) plays host to Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Tuesday.
Princeton 3, Goldsboro 0
* PRINCETON -- Princeton defeated Carolina 1-A Conference foe Goldsboro 25-13. 25-13, 25-11 in a Cancer Awareness game on Thursday evening. All proceeds benefit the Johnston County Relay for Life.
Amber Hill led the Bulldogs with nine kills. Megan Gerrell supplied eight kills and Savanna Massengill provided seven kills. Hannah Woodard had nine aces.
Princeton (14-2 overall, 8-0 CC) visits Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday, while Goldsboro travels to Spring Creek.
Rosewood 3, Spring Creek 0
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Rosewood swept Spring Creek 25-11, 25-19, 25-13 in Carolina 1-A Conference play on Thursday evening.
Summer Jones recorded eight digs for the Eagles. Megann Tyndall finished with seven aces, seven digs and five assists. Rachyle McAlduff had five digs, four assists and two aces. Ellen Morgan added five kills and Crystal Allen tallied four blocks.
Sarah Ford distributed 10 assists for the Gators. Kelsey Rogers had six kills and Bianca Morado added three kills.
Rosewood (14-5 overall, 7-1 CC) entertains North Duplin on Tuesday, while Spring Creek plays host to Goldsboro.
North Duplin 3, Ayden-Grifton 2
* CALYPSO -- North Duplin dropped the first two sets but rallied for a 19-25, 21-25, 25-10, 25-18, 15-12 win over Carolina 1-A Conference foe Ayden-Grifton on Thursday evening.
Hannah Brock handed out 33 assists for the Rebels. Tearra Ammons contributed 11 kills, eight aces, six digs and five blocks. Skylar McCarty supplied nine kills, six digs and four aces. Ansley Hill added six digs.
North Duplin (12-6 overall, 5-3 CC) travels to Rosewood on Tuesday.
Spring Creek 6, Hobbton 6
* NEWTON GROVE -- Spring Creek and Hobbton played to a 6-6 draw on Thursday evening in non-conference play.
Antonio Avila scored three goals and had an assist for the Gators. Omar Zavela and David Vega both recorded a goal and two assists. Pedro Soto also supplied a goal and Marcos Casteneda added an assist.
Spring Creek (4-3-2 overall) entertains Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Ayden-Grifton on Monday.
Wayne Christian 9, Grace Christian 0
* Wayne Christian cruised past visiting Grace Christian 9-0 on Thursday afternoon.
Taylor Willman, Elizabeth Sutton, Ally Willman, Bryanna Means and Miranda Taylor each collected a singles point for the Eagles. Grace Christian forfeited at No. 6 singles.
The doubles teams of Taylor Willman-Sutton and Ally Willman-Abigail Easom also won. Grace forfeited at No. 3 doubles.
Wayne Christian returns to action in the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament Oct. 14 in Raleigh.
C.B. Aycock 9, Southern Wayne 0
* DUDLEY -- Charles B. Aycock continued its dominance of Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference competition with a 9-0 win at Southern Wayne on Thursday afternoon.
Brooke Barfield, Ashton Walker, Brittany Parrish, Misty Edwards, Caroline Bone and Tiffany Godwin each prevailed in their respective singles matches.
The teams of Barfield-Walker, Katie Gurley-Edwards and Parrish-Bone were also victorious in doubles play.
The Golden Falcons (20-1 overall, 12-0 ECC) travel to Greene Central on Monday.
Wayne Country Day 6, Faith Christian-Rocky Mount 3
* Wayne Country Day defeated Faith Christian-Rocky Mount 6-3 in a Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference match Thursday afternoon at Wayne Community College.
Gianna Democko, Sarah Best and Mack Thompson all contributed a singles victory for the Chargers. The doubles teams of Best-Thompson, Katherine Roethling-DeMocko and Mollie Catherine McDonald-Meredith Roethling also won.
Wayne Country Day faces Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference rival Greenfield on Oct. 13.
Goldsboro 44, Rosewood 16
* Rasheid Malette scored three rushing touchdowns to lead Goldsboro to a 44-16 win over Carolina 1-A Conference foe Rosewood on Thursday night.
Malette finished with 96 yards on just four carries. Cougars' quarterback Toric Best was 4 for 8 passing for 171 yards and two touchdowns. Joe Baker had three receptions for 133 yards and two scores. Christian Martensen had one catch for 48 yards. James Clyde returned a kickoff 80 yards for a touchdown.
Kristian Whitfield led the defense with nine tackles. Taylin Davis recorded seven stops and Jarod Fortson made six tackles. Dontay Mickens recovered two fumbles.
Cleveland 44, C.B. Aycock 36
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock came up just short in a 44-36 loss to Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Cleveland on Thursday night.
Golden Falcons' quarterback Bobby Hampton was 7 for 10 passing for 128 yards and a touchdown. Jay Suber provided 111 yards rushing and two touchdowns. Rkeesh Green returned a kickoff 78 yards for a score. Michael Eusty had three receptions for 77 yards. Chigaze Umofia added two catches for 28 yards and a touchdown.
Triston O'Brien led the defense with 15 tackles. Eusty and Jackson Yelverton each made nine stops.
Aycock visits Eastern Wayne next Thursday.
Eastern Wayne 34, Southern Wayne 20
* Eastern Wayne picked up a 34-20 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Southern Wayne on Thursday night.
Warriors' quarterback Mitch Pike threw for 276 yards and three touchdowns. Pike added 89 yards and a score on the ground. Malik Richards had 91 yards receiving and a touchdown. Micah Smith, Dashawn Boudy and Dayshawn Pridgen each had a touchdown catch. Larry Newsome provided a 55-yard touchdown reception. Smith, Jalean Whitaker, Darryl Pittman, Romelo Hamilton and Troy Smith led the defense.
A.J. Williams hauled in a 27-yard touchdown catch for the Saints. Matt Holland added a 4-yard touchdown reception. Xavier Pearsall had an 18-yard touchdown run and Tony Fields provided a two-point conversion. Southern Wayne quarterback Jacob Hollingsworth was 10 for 17 passing for 142 yards.
Fields led the defense with 6 1/2 tackles. Marquis Baldwin had 4 1/2 stops and Chris Brinson made four tackles. Brendell Bass had an interception.
Southern Wayne visits South Johnston next Thursday, while Eastern Wayne plays host to Charles B. Aycock.
* Volleyball: Wayne Country Day d. Greenfield 25-9, 25-4 -- Taylor Sledge led the Chargers (7-4 overall, 4-2 CPIC) with 14 service aces. Olivia Dively, Sarah Jane Ammons and Cheyenne Caunette each had two aces.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Spring Creek 25-20, 27-25 -- Ashley Thornton provided five kills and three blocks for the Eagles. Emily Brock distributed nine assists. Sarah Ford handed out five assists for the Gators to go with three kills and two aces. McKayla Evans added three aces.
* Volleyball: Eastern Wayne d. C.B. Aycock 25-9, 18-25, 25-19 -- Emily Borel had four kills for the Golden Falcons. Aycock (6-9 overall, 4-6 ECC) travels to North Lenoir on Monday.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Dillard 25-20, 18-25, 25-10, 13-25, 15-12 -- Daisy Martinez led Spring Creek with eight kills and two aces. Lexi Reyes finished with four aces. The Gators (5-4) entertain Rosewood on Monday.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Mount Olive 25-12, 25-15 and 25-11, 25-18 -- The Cobras improved to 8-1 overall after the two-match sweep, and play host to Greenwood on Monday.
* Soccer: Brogden d. Eastern Wayne 6-0 -- Angel Zuniga scored twice for Brogden (6-0). Junior Mejia, Victor Ponce, Alex Sandoval and Joshua Wilder also scored. Alex Gonzalez recorded a shutout in goal.
Other Local Sports
- Local digest: Sunday
- Friday's NC prep football scores
- So. Wayne-E. Wayne box
- Sasser boots Saints as time expires
- Tigers stay perfect in Tri-County 1-A Conference play
- James Kenan-Lakewood box
- Oliver runs through, over Bulldog defense
- Princeton-N.Duplin box
- C.B. Aycock-Cleveland box
- Cougars play strong on both sides of the ball