By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on October 11, 2011 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 8, Greene Central 1
* SNOW HILL -- Charles B. Aycock swept through singles play and rolled to an 8-1 non-conference win over Greene Central on Monday afternoon.
Brooke Barfield, Ashton Walker, Katie Gurley, Brittany Parrish, Misty Edwards and Caroline Bone each prevailed during singles action for the Golden Falcons.
The tandems of Gurley-Edwards and Parrish Bone each won in doubles play. The pairing of Jessica Hatch-Hayes Lovett produced the Rams' lone point.
C.B. Aycock (22-1 overall) will take part in the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tournament on Thursday and Friday.
Spring Creek 7, Ayden-Grifton 1
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek scored early and often in a 7-1 win over Carolina 1-A Conference foe Ayden-Grifton on Monday.
Omar Zavela and Erick Fuentes each tallied two goals for the Gators. Marcel Perez, Antonio Avila and David Vega each finished with one goal in the win.
Spring Creek (6-3-2 overall, 4-0-0 CC) entertains Princeton on Oct. 17.
North Lenoir 2, South Johnston 2
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir made a valiant effort to take over the top spot in the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference standings on Monday night, but ended up with a 2-2 tie against two-time defending regular-season champion South Johnston.
After jumping out to a 2-0 lead, the Hawks watched as South Johnston scored two goals in the final seven minutes to earn the tie.
Filiberto Gonzalez and Chastin Radford each scored for the Hawks. Oscar Navarette recorded the assist on Radford's goal. Caleb Baird tallied six saves.
North Lenoir (12-2-1 overall, 7-1-1 ECC) entertains Kinston on Thursday.
Goldsboro 3, Jones Senior 0
* TRENTON -- Goldsboro stepped out of Carolina 1-A Conference play and bested Jones Senior 25-13, 25-17, 25-14 on Monday night.
Brandy Johnson paced the Cougars with 12 kills and four aces. Ana Harris added seven kills and Yuseli Lares finished with eight assists.
Goldsboro (6-12 overall) travels to Spring Creek today.
North Lenoir 3, C.B. Aycock 2
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir rallied from a two-set deficit and bounced C.B. Aycock 17-25, 19-25, 25-15, 25-16, 15-9 in an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference match at Wooten Gymnasium on Monday evening.
Madison Mercer led the Golden Falcons with eight kills. Connor Davis added six kills in the defeat.
C.B. Aycock (12-4 overall, 8-3 ECC) is the guest of Southern Wayne on Thursday.
* Volleyball: C.B. Aycock d. North Lenoir 23-25, 27-25, 25-18 -- Emily Borel led the Golden Falcons with seven aces. Courtney Warner added five kills in the win. C.B. Aycock improved to 7-9 overall on the season.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Spring Creek 25-16, 25-17, 25-17 -- Alyssa Garrison led the Rosewood attach with 13 aces and four kills. The Eagles improved to 8-1 overall on the season. Rosewood plays host to Dillard on Oct. 17.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Greenwood 25-2, 25-7, 25-17 -- Norwayne improved to 10-1 on the season. The Cobras travel to Dillard today.
* Soccer: Brogden 2, Grantham 1 -- Alex Sandoval and Victor Ponce each scored one goal for the Rams. Alex Gonzalez saved a potential game tying penalty kick in the 80th minute to preserve the win. Brogden (7-0 overall) plays host to Greenwood on Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Bulldogs complete sweep of archrival
- North Lenoir knocks off Eastern Wayne, builds momentum for ECC tournament
- New Tar Heels AD
- Local Preps Digest
- Quarterback converted to tailback wants to help team win
- Local digest
- Rosewood holds back Princeton soccer
- MOC volleyball rolls
- E. Wayne drops Aycock soccer
- Local Preps Digest