Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 12, 2011 1:48 PM
Wayne Christian 3,
Cape Fear Christian 0
* Britney O'Hara recorded a double-double -- 14 kills and 12 digs -- in Wayne Christian's opening-round, three-set sweep of Cape Fear Christian in the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament Tuesday evening.
Katie Isenhower dished out 27 assists for the third-seeded Eagles, who prevailed 25-15, 25-21, 25-10 inside Clifford Gymnatorium. Jessica Swets delivered a 13-kill performance, while defensive specialist Haley Greenwood collected 12 digs.
Katie Caviness contributed two kills and served two aces. Carly Hightower posted three kills, four aces and one block.
Wayne Christian (17-5 overall) opposes CCC regular-season runner-up Cresset Christian in semifinal-round play today. First serve is 7:30 p.m. at Trinity of Raleigh.
Rosewood 3, North Duplin 1
* Rosewood defeated Carolina 1-A Conference foe North Duplin 25-22, 20-25, 26-24, 25-20 on Tuesday evening.
Stephanie Hall distributed 12 assists for the Eagles to go with seven digs and three kills. Kerri Jo Gurley hammered out nine kills. Ellen Morgan provided six kills and three digs.
Scout Anderson added eight assists.
Rosewood (15-5 overall, 8-1 CC) concludes regular-season play at archrival Princeton on Thursday.
Princeton 3, Ayden-Grifton 0
* AYDEN -- Princeton rolled past Ayden-Grifton 25-6, 25-15, 25-9 on Tuesday evening in Carolina 1-A Conference play.
Megan Gerrell served 11 aces and had four kills for the Bulldogs. Nicole Melvin collected 10 aces and four kills. Amber Hill had six kills. Savanna Massengill added four blocks and three kills. Katlyn Peedin and Ashleigh Mayes each supplied five digs.
Princeton (15-2 overall, 9-0 CC) plays host to Rosewood on Thursday.
Faith Christian 3, Trinity Christian 0
* Faith Christian turned back Trinity Christian 25-12, 25-16, 25-14 in a N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A match on Tuesday evening.
Christina Powell handed out 10 assists to go with two aces and two kills. Elizabethe Weeks contributed six aces and four kills. Hannah Stocks recorded seven aces, three kills and three blocks.
The Conquerors (3-7 overall, 3-6 Coastal Region 2-A) conclude the regular season on Friday with a doubleheader at Falls Road Baptist in Rocky Mount.
Cape Fear 4, Wayne Christian 3, S0
* Wayne Christian and Cape Fear Christian played to a 3-3 draw in the quarterfinals of the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament on Tuesday.
Cape Fear advanced in a sudden-death penalty kick shootout.
Chase Darden scored off Kevin Wheeler's assist to pull the Eagles to within 2-1 late in the first half. Victor Kokiko's goal off Darden's assist tied the game at 2-2 in the second half. Seth Slusher's goal off Darden's assist tied created a 3-3 tie late in the game.
Darden, Chris Smith, Baron Wise and Slusher each scored for Wayne Christian in the shootout.
Princeton 3, Goldsboro
* Trevor Haines notched two goals in Princeton's 3-1 decision over Goldsboro in a Carolina 1-A Conference match.
Tyler Daniels provided two assists and scored one goal.
Ethan Anderson added an assist.
Bulldogs goalie Zach Parker recorded 10 saves between the pipes.
Kyle Kyker tallied the Cougars' lone goal off Ethan Minshew's assist.
* Volleyball: Wayne Country Day d. Faith-RM 25-22, 25-23 -- Taylor Sledge served five aces. Logan Harrell (three aces), Stephanie Schappell (two aces, one kill), Cheyenne Cannette (one kill) and Teriece Hawley (one kill) contributed to the win. The Chargers improved to 8-4 overall.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. North Duplin 25-13, 25-21 -- Haley Mercer recorded five digs and three blocks for the Eagles (7-2). Ashley Thornton supplied three blocks and Callie Martens had three assists.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Dillard 25-19, 25-10, 25-16 -- Norwayne improved to 11-1 and plays host to Grantham on Thursday.
Neuse River Youth Football
* Eastern Wayne 19, Princeton 0 -- No game details submitted.
* Eastern Wayne 31, Princeton 6 -- No game details submitted.