By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 15, 2011 11:25 PM
* CARY -- Wayne Christian's Conner Jones recorded a time of 17 minutes, 33 seconds and was the top male runner at the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference championships on Friday at Wake Med Soccer Park.
Jones has finished first in 13 consecutive races this season. The Eagles' Spencer Foster finished seventh with a time of 19:51.
Grace Christian of Raleigh won the team championship and Wayne Christian was second.
The Eagles' Sarah Allan was eighth in the girls' race with a time of 26:40.
Wayne Christian returns to action on Oct. 28 at the North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association state championship at McAlpine Park in Charlotte.
Faith splits doubleheader
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Faith Christian split a doubleheader at Falls Road on Friday night.
The Conquerors claimed the first match 23-25, 25-18, 25-23. Falls Road won the second match 21-25, 25-19, 25-16.
Faith's Christina Powell handed out 16 assists in the first set. Katie Watson added six digs, five kills and four aces. Elizabethe Weeks supplied six kills and Abigail Pierce had six digs and three kills. Hannah Stocks conrtibuted four aces and four kills.
In the second match, Powell distributed 13 assists. Watson and Stocks each had four kills.
Faith begins its postseason next week on a day and against an opponent to be determined.
Three Eagles win titles
* RALEIGH -- Wayne Christian's Taylor Willman, Elizabeth Sutton and Ally Willman won Carolina Christian 1-A Conference championships in No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 singles respectively on Friday at Lions Park.
Taylor Willman defeated Trinity of Raleigh's Kim Hinton in a third set tie break to claim the No. 1 singles championship. Willman was named the tournament's most valuable player.
Sutton turned back Trinity of Raleigh's Christie Kim at No. 2 singles. Ally Willman knocked off Mary Claire Caldwell of Grace Christian at No. 3 singles.
The Eagles' Abigail Easom finished third at No. 5 singles. Taylor Willman and Sutton finished second at No. 1 doubles. Ally Willman and Bryanna Means were third at No. 2 singles.
Lane Tree Ladies
* Teresa Shearin earned game of the week honors in weekly play at Lane Tree Golf Course. Linda Watson claimed low net and Nan Jarrell seized low putts.
Eastern Wayne 36, C.B. Aycock 30
* R'Keesh Green led the Golden Falcons with 121 yards rushing. Jay Suber had 112 yards on the ground. Jackson Yelverton recorded eight tackles and a blocked punt. Triston O'Brien had seven tackles, a sack and an interception. Michael Eusty made seven tackles.
* Football: Mount Olive 14, Spring Creek 6 -- Quintin Carlton and Travis Chavious each had rushing touchdowns for Mount Olive. Zachary Buff and Zachary Price each made eight tackles. Dequarius Ashford supplied five tackles. Cole Barwick finished with four stops and a fumble recovery. Mount Olive entertains Grantham on Oct. 20.
Other Local Sports
- Spring Creek falls to North Duplin volleyball
- Local digest
- C.B. Aycock volleyball downs Eastern Wayne
- MOC golf tournament
- MOC Green-White games give coaches perspective
- Cougars get conference tourney win
- Prep football notebook
- Princeton-Goldsboro box
- Goldsbro shuts out Princeton
- South Johnston drops Southern Wayne