By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on October 24, 2011 2:00 PM
Eagles receive at-large bid
* Wayne Christian has received an at-large bid to the 2011 N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association 1-A volleyball playoffs.
The Eagles (17-6 overall) drew the No. 6 seed and play host to 11th-seeded Epiphany School on Tuesday. First serve is 5 p.m. inside Clifford Gymnatorium.
Wayne Christian is making its fifth consecutive postseason appearance. The Eagles are seeking their first playoff victory since 2008 when they eliminated county rival Wayne Country Day in the opening round.
Princeton 3, East Carteret 0
* PRINCETON -- Savanna Massengill cranked out 14 kills in Princeton's opening-round triumph over East Carteret in the N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A playoffs Saturday.
Massengill served two aces and Amber Hill provided nine kills for the Bulldogs, who logged a 25-17, 25-17, 25-21 decision. Nicole Melvin contributed five kills, three aces, two blocks. Hannah Woodard and Megan Gerrell supplied three kills, five blocks and one ace apiece.
Katlyn Peedin posted seven digs.
Princeton (20-2) entertains Coastal Plains tri-champion Pamlico County at 6 p.m. on Tuesday.
Faith Christian 3, Falls Road 0
* Faith Christian rolled through the first round of the N.C. Christian Schools Association playoffs with a 25-15, 25-18, 25-20 win over Falls Road on Friday night.
It marked the fourth consecutive year the Conquerors have won their opening round playoff match.
Christina Powell led the Conquerors with 16 assists. Elizabeth Weeks tallied six kills. Hannah Stocks finished with five aces and four kills.
Faith Christian will travel to Bethel Christian in Kinston on Tuesday.
North Lenoir 3, Southern Wayne 2
* LaGRANGE -- Chastin Radford notched the game-winning goal with 10 minutes left in the second half, and North Lenoir shaved Southern Wayne, 3-2, in the opening round of the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tournament.
The second-seeded Hawks (16-2-1 overall) entertain sixth-seeded Cleveland, which upset Charles B. Aycock 2-1, today. Kickoff is 7 p.m. at Bullock Field.
Tyler Gray logged North Lenoir's first goal in the 42nd minute off an assist from Oscar Navarrete. Radford posted his first goal off a free kick from Oscar Avila and then supplied the game-clinching shot.
Caleb Baird had seven saves between the pipes.
Neuse River Youth Football
* Rosewood 28, C.B. Aycock 12 -- The Little Eagles improved to 5-1 overall. Additional details were not available.
* Princeton 27, Mount Olive 22 -- Game details not available.
* Rosewood 13, Eastern Wayne 12 -- Game results not available.