By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on October 25, 2011 1:50 PM
North Lenoir 7, Cleveland 2
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir scored three goals in a four-minute span in the first half and rolled past Cleveland, 7-2, in the semifinals of the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference boys' soccer tournament on Monday night.
The second-seeded Hawks (17-2-1) entertain fourth-seeded Triton, which upset South Johnston, in the championship game Wednesday. Kickoff is 7 p.m. at Bullock Field.
Chastin Radford tallied a goal in the 12th minute. Tyler Gray continued the scoring for the Hawks in the 21st minute off an assist by Oscar Navarette. Oscar Avila added a goal in the 24th minute and Radford struck again in the 25th minute to make the score 4-0.
Justin Shimer scored in the 42nd minute when he buried a loose ball in front of the net. Gray added his second goal of the game in the 58th minute and Avila capped the Hawks' tally with his second goal in the 60th minute.
Hawks keeper Caleb Baird finished with nine saves in the net.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Greenwood 25-12, 25-12, 25-10 -- Lexi Mercer led Rosewood with six aces and five kills in a win over Greenwood on Monday night. Rosewood improved to 12-1 overall. The Eagles will be the guest of Grantham on Wednesday.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Eastern Wayne 25-14, 19-25, 25-16, 26-24 -- Norwayne concluded its season with a win over archrival Eastern Wayne. The Cobras finished the season 15-1 overall.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Brogden 25-13, 9-25, 25-10, 16-25, 17-15 -- Lexi Reyes led the Gators with seven aces in the win. Naomi Valdovinos added six aces and Daisy Martinez tallied three kills. Spring Creek improved to 9-5 overall. The Gators will travel to Eastern Wayne today.
* Soccer: Brogden 2, Spring Creek 0 -- Brogden remained unbeaten with a 2-0 win over Spring Creek on Monday afternoon. Alex Sandoval and Angel Zuniga each scored a goal in the win. Brogden (11-0 overall) plays host to Mount Olive on Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Bill Kemp Invitational results
- Goldsboro and Princeton play to draw
- Bill Kemp Invitational won by C.B. Aycock
- Thursday digest
- Trojan women steamroll Bulldogs; men endure 3-1 defeat
- Wayne Christian stops Epiphany
- Princeton moves into 3rd round
- Local Preps Digest
- Spring Creek secures playoff victory in doubles
- SC-Lejeune tennis box