Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 26, 2011 1:48 PM
South Brunswick 3,
C.B. Aycock 1
* SOUTHPORT -- Charles B. Aycock overcame a slow first set but couldn't keep the momentum going in a 25-9, 20-25, 25-18, 25-19 loss on Tuesday evening at South Brunswick in the second round of the North Carolina High School Athletic Association 3-A state playoffs.
It was the final game for Golden Falcons' seniors Connor Davis, Brooke Bell and Rachel Jordan. Madison Mercer supplied eight kills and Meredith Burroughs had six kills.
"We never gave up," Aycock head coach Davis Harris said. "We came out slow and I don't know why. South Brunswick did a great job of placing the ball. When we would adjust they would go somewhere else. They are very well coached. They're not overpowering but they know where to go with the ball."
The Golden Falcons finished the season with a record of 16-6.
Dixon 3, Rosewood 2
* HOLLY RIDGE -- Rosewood pushed Dixon to a fifth set, but had its season end with a 25-17, 25-18, 19-25, 27-29, 15-12 loss in the second round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A state playoffs on Tuesday night.
The Eagles traied 11-6 in the fifth set and closed to within 13-12 but were unable to complete the comeback. Anna Ingram provided 10 blocks, three kills and three digs. Ellen Morgan supplied 11 blocks, six kills and four digs. Megann Tyndall handed out 10 assists. Kerri Jo Gurley had seven kills and Crystal Allen added eight blocks and six kills. Stephanie Hall recorded seven assists and four digs.
Rosewood concluded the season with a record of 17-7.
Bethel Christian 3,
Faith Christian 0
* KINSTON -- Faith Christian was swept 25-8, 25-14, 25-11 in the N.C. Christian Schools Athletic Association 2-A state quarterfinals on Tuesday night at Bethel Christian.
It was the final match for Conquerors' seniors Christina Powell, Katie Watson and Elizabethe Weeks.
Rocky Mount 6, Eastern Wayne 3
* Rocky Mount knocked off Eastern Wayne 6-3 in the second round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A state dual-team playoffs on Tuesday afternoon at Herman Park.
Grace Delbridge and Kristina Childre each recorded a singles point for the Warriors. The doubles team of Delbridge-Blake Govan also prevailed.
"This was a great high school match with two teams battling it out," Eastern Wayne head coach Craig Hassell said. "At No. 2, 5 and 6 singles the matches could have gone either way. I'm extremely proud of the competitive nature of our team and they have been a pleasure to coach."
The Warriors' Savannah Sutton and Delbridge are both competing in the state singles tournament on Friday in Burlington.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Eastern Wayne 25-11, 15-25, 18-25, 25-11, 15-12 -- Naomi Valdovinos recorded eight aces for the Gators. Lexie Reyes had seven aces and Veronica Martinez added three aces. Spring Creek (10-5 overall) concludes its season on Monday when it plays host to Greenwood.
Other Local Sports
- St. Andrews leaving Conference Carolinas
- Playoff seedings, league titles on the line
- Hill has 17-kill effort, Princeton knocks out Dixon
- Local Preps Digest
- Sophomore wants state 1-A crown
- Stevens: Tried and true, these are tops in 2011
- Bill Kemp Invitational results
- Goldsboro and Princeton play to draw
- Bill Kemp Invitational won by C.B. Aycock
- Thursday digest