By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 27, 2011 1:48 PM
North Lenoir 4, Triton 3 (OT)
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir overcame an early deficit and rallied for a 4-3 win to capture the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference boys' soccer tournament championship on Wednesday night.
After watching Triton take the lead in the third minute, the Hawks responded and Oscar Avila tied the contest in the eighth minute with a goal off an assist by Oscar Navarette. Justin Shimer put North Lenoir ahead in the 31st minute with a goal that came off a pass from Tyler Gray.
Triton burst onto the field after the intermission and scored two quick goals to retake the lead 3-2.
Jake Olejniczak bailed the Hawks out in the 78th minute with an unnassisted goal that sent the game to overtime. Olejniczak scored two minutes into the overtime period and put the Hawks ahead for good.
North Lneoir (18-2-1 overall) plays host to Wilson Fike in the opening round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A playoffs on Nov. 2.
Spring Creek 3, Ayden-Grifton 1
* LITTLEFIELD -- Spring Creek wrapped up its fourth straight undefeated campaign in Carolina 1-A Conference play with a 3-1 win over Ayden-Grifton on Wednesday night.
Mauricio Bautista, Antonio Avila and Omar Zavila each scored a goal for the Gators. Avila and Eric Fuentez each tallied one assist.
Spring Creek (9-3-2 overall, 8-0-0 CC) drew an opening-round bye in the NCHSAA playoffs.
Lane Tree LGA
* Sherry Minner emerged the game-of-the-week champion during play on the Lane Tree Golf Club links. Lou Ellen Flowers claimed low net, while Linda Cannon secured low putts.
Teresa Shearin claimed game-of-the-week honors during play for mid-October. Betty Jean Gurley and Nan Jarrell seized low net and low putts, respectively.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Grantham 25-9, 25-10, 25-16 -- Rosewood improved to 13-1 on the season with a victory over Grantham on Wednesday afternoon. Hannah Daniels and Lyndsey Walters led the Eagles with seven aces apiece. Rosewood will host Eastern Wayne on Monday.
Neuse River Youth Football
8-Under Division II
* Eastern Wayne 19, Rosewood 0 -- The Wee Warriors advanced to NRYFL Division II championship game with a shutout over the Little Eagles.
Other Local Sports
- Wallace-Rose Hill-James Kenan box
- Lakewood eliminates Princeton from 1-A volleyball playoffs
- Saints' offense explodes in 2nd half
- Southern Wayne-Aycock box
- Rosewood, Aycock have 36 holes left to play in respective seasons
- North Duplin-Spring Creek box
- PHS-RW boxscore
- Rosewood continues dominance over archrival Princeton
- NC prep football scores
- MOC spikers overcome 2-1 deficit, turn back North Greenville