Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 28, 2011 1:48 PM
Rosewood 4, Ayden-Grifton 3
* LITTLEFIELD -- Tan Truong punched in two goals and Rosewood concluded regular-season play with a 4-3 victory over Ayden-Grifton in a Carolina 1-A Conference contest.
Corey Lynn and Reed Howell added one goal apiece for the Eagles.
Rosewood (6-11-1 overall, 6-2 CC) returns home Wednesday to face a wild-card opponent in the N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A playoffs.
A game time has not been announced.
Southern Wayne 26,
C.B. Aycock 6
* DUDLEY -- A.J. Williams rushed for 101 yards and scored two touchdowns to lead Southern Wayne to a 26-6 victory over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Charles B. Aycock on Thursday night.
Xavier Pearsall provided 70 yards on the ground and a touchdown for the Saints. Brion Kornegay had 65 yards rushing and a score. Clayton Cashwell had 82 yards on the ground and Jacob Hollingsworth added a touchdown.
Matt Holland and Cashwell both recorded six tackles. Deonta Hayes and Jalen Roberts both made five stops. Gary Williams supplied three tackles and a sack.
Jay Suber led the Golden Falcons with 96 yards rushing. Quarterback Bobby Hampton was 3 for 9 passing for 44 yards. Hampton tossed a touchdown pass to Michael Eusley. Triston O'Brien finished with 13 tackles and Blake Merril had 10 tackles.
Southern Wayne finished the season 4-5 overall.
* Football: Spring Creek 18, Norwayne 12 -- The Gators' Sam Crocker scored the game-winning touchdown from 9 yards out with nine seconds left. Crocker also returned a kickoff 75 yards for a touchdown. Chase Fields added 5-yard touchdown run and recorded five tackles. Matt Dupuy had an intercpetion. Spring Creek concludes its season on Tuesday at Eastern Wayne.
* Soccer: Brogden 1, Mount Olive 1 -- Brogden's goal was scored by Victor Ponce. Brogden (11-0-1 overall) entertains Norwayne on Monday.
Neuse River Youth Football
10-Under Division I
* Rosewood 18, Eastern Wayne 12 -- The Little Eagles came up with two key fourth-down stops and reached the championship game of the NRYFL Division I playoffs. They face Mount Olive on Nov. 3 in Mount Olive.
Other Local Sports
- Wallace-Rose Hill-James Kenan box
- Lakewood eliminates Princeton from 1-A volleyball playoffs
- Saints' offense explodes in 2nd half
- Southern Wayne-Aycock box
- Rosewood, Aycock have 36 holes left to play in respective seasons
- North Duplin-Spring Creek box
- PHS-RW boxscore
- Rosewood continues dominance over archrival Princeton
- NC prep football scores
- MOC spikers overcome 2-1 deficit, turn back North Greenville