Local Preps Digest
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on November 2, 2011 1:48 PM
Greene Central 5,
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central claimed two critical doubles points and nipped Carrboro, 5-4, in third-round action of the N.C. High School Athletic Association 2-A dual-team tennis playoffs Tuesday.
The Rams' No. 2 tandem of Kayla Radford-Brittany Colie prevailed 10-4, while the No. 3 duo of Laurie Sutton-Danielle Dillane secured a 10-5 win.
Colie, Sutton and Hayes Lovett each earned a singles point.
Greene Central (20-7 overall) plays host to Carolina 12 champion Cedar Ridge on Thursday. The winner advances to the NCHSAA dual-team state final Saturday in Burlington.
Wilson Hunt 9, C.B. Aycock 1
* WILSON -- No. 1-ranked Wilson Hunt raced out to a 6-0 halftime lead and defeated Charles B. Aycock 9-1 on Tuesday evening in the first round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A state playoffs.
Collin Zacharzuk scored the Golden Falcons' lone goal in the 60th minute. The loss marked Aycock's fourth consecutive first-round playoff exit.
The Golden Falcons finished the season with a record of 11-8-0.
Walnut Creek LGA
* After a two-week road swing, Walnut Creek golfers returned home for weekly play and Hiromi Sueki emerged the low-gross winner. Charlotte Campbell captured low net and Faye Franklin seized low putts.
Rosewood finishes 12th
* SOUTHERN PINES -- Rosewood High ended up 12th overall as a team in the 2011 NCHSAA Classes 1-A/2-A women's golf championships contested at Longleaf Golf and Country Club.
The Eagles carded a two-day, three-player score of 682.
Taylor Brock paced Rosewood with a 36-hole count of 214, while senior Jennifer Liles finished at 220. Taylor Gales collected a 248.
Princeton's Lacyn Belk and Megan Heath shot 219 and 220, respectively.
Salisbury won the team championship.
MOC men end up 10th
* PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- Senior Kyle Ham posted a three-day, 54-hole score of 238 and Mount Olive took 10th place overall as a team in the Marjorie Whitney Men's Golf Invitational contested at TPC Sawgrass.
Ham tied for 28th overall at 238.
Mark O'Hara led MOC's charge with a 7-over 79 in Tuesday's final round. He shot 80 and 82 in Monday's first two rounds, and finished tied for 37th out of 64 golfers with a 241.
It was O'Hara's first tournament after suffering a preseason injury.
Also competing for the Trojans in their final tournament of the fall season were Jefred Villalobos, who was consistent all tournament (tie for 32nd); Jesus Valderrama (50th) and Kyle Simpson (tied for 53rd).
MOC shot 963 as a team.
* Football: Mount Olive 24, Greenwood 0 -- Mount Olive concluded its season with a shutout victory over the T-Birds. Quentin Carlton and Carter Jones each had two rushing touchdowns for Mount Olive. Defensive leaders were Zachary Price, Tyquan Collie, Chris Stukes, Zach Buff and Khalil Fullwood. Mount Olive compiled a 4-4 record.
Other Local Sports
- Stevens: 'Watered down' playoffs deliver wrong message
- Goldsboro's Huf fights through injury
- Local Preps Digest
- Riverside-Princeton soccer
- Rosewood-WRH soccer
- N. Lenoir-Fike soccer
- GHS playoff prospectus
- Raleigh Charter knocks out Spring Creek
- Raleigh Charter-Spring Creek tennis box
- Simmons captutes 3-A state golf championship