Local Preps Digest
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on November 14, 2011 1:48 PM
* RALEIGH -- Charles B. Aycock and Southern Wayne each recorded a top-10 finish in their respective divisions during the ninth annual N.C. High School Athletic Association state individual cheerleading championships.
A total of 120 teams registered to compete in 11 divisions, which were contested at the Raleigh Convention Center.
Aycock placed sixth in the Super Large varsity (21-plus members), while Southern Wayne claimed eighth in the Large varsity non-tumble division.
Cheer Ltd. Inc., the NCHSAA's corporate partner that assists with the invitational championship, has also established the Carolina Cup to recognize annually the top high school varsity cheerleading team in the state. The Cup is awarded to the varsity-level team that earns the highest cumulative score in the entire competition, regardless of the division in which it competes.
Bethel Christian 53,
Wayne Christian 50
* KINSTON -- Bethel Christian erased a 10-point lead and drained six of seven free throws down the stretch in a come-from-behind, 53-50 victory over Wayne Christian.
It was the season opener for both teams.
Chase Darden led the Eagles with 12 points and five steals. Taurell Singletary contributed four points and five steals. Chandler Harrell controlled the boards with 11 rebounds.
Wayne Christian (0-1 overall) plays host to county rival Wayne Country Day on Tuesday. Tip-off is approximately 8 p.m. inside Clifford Gymnatorium.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Christian 39, Bethel Christian 38 -- Seth Harrell pumped in a game-high 25 points for the Eagles in their season-opening win. Wayne Christian entertains Wayne Country Day on Tuesday.
Other Local Sports
- MOC Hall of Fame inductees ready
- MOC downs Virginia State
- MOC-VSU women's box
- Wayne Country Day pulls away in fourth
- Stevens: O'Brien's days could be numbered as Wolfpack's coach
- Local Preps Digest
- Trojans' goal to play complete each game
- Family values lead to Gators' soccer success
- Wayne Country Day-Wayne Christian basketball boxes
- Joey Higginbotham -- Q&A