Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on November 16, 2011 1:48 PM
Wayne Country Day 53,
Wayne Christian 17
* Wayne Country Day opened its girls' baslketball season with a 53-17 win over county rival Wayne Christian on Tuesday night.
The Chargers started strong and never looked back.
WCDS led 24-6 at halftime.
"I was pleased, but there are obviously still some things that we need to work on," Wayne Country Day head coach Eric Perry said. "We didn't get to play much man-to-man defense tonight and I know that is one thing we need to get better at as the season goes on."
Catherine Ford paced Wayne Country Day with 21 points and 14 rebounds. Sarah Best added 10 points and seven boards. Ashanti Hardy scored seven points.
Courtney Barrow emerged the lone Eagle player in double figures with 10 points.
Wayne Christian fell to 0-2 overall, while Wayne Country Day (1-0) visits Waccamaw on Nov. 22.
Faith Christian 73,
Cornerstone Christian 42
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Faith Christian got the boys' basketball season off on the right foot with a 73-42 win over Cornerstone Christian on Monday night.
Wes Caudle led the Conquerors with 24 points. Michael Clark finished with 23 points. Aaron Hill added 13 points and nine assists in the win.
Faith Christian (1-0 overall) will play in the Southeastern Tournament on Thursday.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Hiromi Sueki claimed low gross during weekly tournament play at Walnut Creek Country Club.
Mary Morris, Linda Cannon and Pete Reaves ended up in a three-way deadlocked for low net. Faye Franklin seized low putts.
Jewel Ivey captured second gross and Kathy Woodard secured low putts during first flight play in an East Carolina Ladies Golf Association match at Wilson Country Club. Sueki took low putts in second flight.
* Girl's basketball: Wayne Country Day 22, Wayne Christian 18 -- Logan Harrell paced the Wayne Country Day offense with 14 points. Taylor Sledge added seven points. Wayne Country Day improved to 1-0 overall.
* Boy's basketball: Wayne Country Day 59, Wayne Christian 35 -- Dennis Mitchell scored 11 points for the Chargers. Ramel Carpenter added 10 points and Marlon Coley had nine. Wayne Country Day (1-0) visits Pope John Paul on Monday.
* Boy's basketball: Wayne Country Day 40, Wayne Christian 35 -- Preston Edwards finished with 14 points for the Chargers. Tony Townsend had 12 points. Seth Harrell led the Eagles with 16 points. Matthew Swets pulled down six rebounds. Wayne Christian entertains Christ Covenant on Thursday. Wayne Country Day (1-0) travels to St. Mary's on Dec. 2.
* Girl's basketball: Wayne Country Day 22, Wayne Christian 18-- Georgia Parnell led the Eagles with eight points. Emily Wells grabbed 10 rebounds.
Other Local Sports
- Trojans crank out road win
- Stephens' program is rebuilding
- Local Preps Digest
- Young Saints must mature quickly
- Chargers' defense smothers Eagles
- Wayne Christian-Wilson Christian box
- 46th annual Pickle Classic -- MOC women drop Chowan U
- 46th annual Pickle Classic -- Trojan men turn back Virginia St.
- Hoffman, Maloney followed their instinct
- Spring Creek, C.B. Aycock fall athletes recognized