Trojans crank out road win
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on November 22, 2011 1:48 PM
MOC Sports Information
HICKORY -- Craig Hayes scored eight of his 21 points in the first three minutes of the second half, and Mount Olive College remained unbeaten with an 80-70, non-conference win over Lenoir-Rhyne on Monday evening.
Darrell Patterson drained 7 of 8 free throws in the final two minutes for the Trojans, who improved to 5-0 overall this season and matched their best start since 2002-03. Patterson finished with 16 points, while Hayes pulled down 10 rebounds for his first double-double of the season.
Hayes, who was held to three points in the first half on a field goal and a free throw, opened the second half with a 3-pointer and added a pair of free throws. Hayes canned another 3-pointer with 17 minutes, 4 seconds remaining to break a 33-33 tie and give the Trojans the lead for good.
Patterson recorded three steals during a 12-0 run as Mount Olive extended its lead to 52-37 with 11:46 left to play. The margin grew to as many as 18 points after Derek Staton's steal led to Hayes' layup to give the Trojans a 60-42 advantage with 6:42 left.
The Trojans' lead was 16 with just over four minutes left after another 3-pointer by Hayes before Lenoir-Rhyne (1-3) started chipping away. Denzel Dillingham, who scored a game-high 27 points, scored six straight points to pull the Bears within 69-59 with 2:10 remaining.
Patterson and Kendall Hargrove recorded four steals apiece as MOC forced 23 Lenoir-Rhyne turnovers. Patterson finished 9-for-10 for the line, while Hayes was 6-of-8. The Trojans connected on 16 of their first 20 free throws before finishing 29-for-44 from the line.
The Trojans overcame 25.8 percent first-half shooting by going 14-for-28 from the field in the second half.
MOC returns to action Dec. 2-3 in the inaugural Barton College Classic with games against Elizabeth City State and St. Augustine's.
Other Local Sports
- Saints Thanksgiving Classic -- Outlaw has career outing for Southern Wayne
- Saints Thanksgiving Classic -- West Craven upends Southern Wayne
- Pirates sign 10 players for 2013
- Saints Thanksgiving Classic boxes -- Day 1
- Saints Thanksgiving Classic -- James Kenan falls to Pine Forest
- Aycock's Barfield, Simmons lead ECC All-Conference parade
- Mount Olive College will add men's lacrosse in 2012-13
- Wise makes choice, signs with UNC
- Ducky weather calls for wing shooting deer
- News-Argus Defensive Player of the Year -- Keith Jones