By From staff reports
Published in Sports on November 23, 2011 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 56, Greene Central 12
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock got off to a hot start and never looked back in a 56-12 win over Greene Central on Tuesday night. The game was the regular-season debut for both teams.
Imari Howell led the Golden Falcons with 17 points. Ashley Darden added eight points and Courtnei Gilbert finished with six points.
Monesha Moore paced Greene Central with six points.
C.B. Aycock (1-0 overall) entertains Wilson Hunt on Nov. 29.
Southern Wayne 41,
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne started its season with a 41-38 win over Jacksonville on Tuesday night.
Danielle Carlton led all scorers with 14 points in the win. Sharonne Maultsby and April Lantz each added eight points for Southern Wayne. Lantz finished with a team-high 12 rebounds.
Southern Wayne (1-0 overall) plays host to James Kenan on Nov. 29.
Wayne Country Day 41,
* WHITEVILLE -- Wayne Country Day continued its hot start with a 41-18 win over Waccamaw Academy on Tuesday night.
Catherine Ford led the Chargers with 21 points and 17 rebounds. Sarah Best added 12 points in the win.
Wayne Country Day (2-0 overall) entertains Waccamaw on Dec. 2.
South Lenoir 64, Spring Creek 16
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Alyssa Borja scored 12 of Spring Creek's 16 points in a 64-16 defeat to South Lenoir on Tuesday night.
Marquia Suddeth paced the Blue Devils with 15 points.
Spring Creek (0-1 overall) travels to Lejeune on Dec. 2.
Southern Wayne 57,
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne kicked off season with a 57-52 win over Jacksonville on Tuesday night.
Jamil Price led all scorers with 29 points in the win. Ronnell Outlaw added 11 points for the Saints.
Southern Wayne plays host to West Craven on Friday.
Wayne Country Day 63,
* WHITEVILLE -- Brandon McCarter tallied a double-double with 23 points and 10 rebounds to lead Wayne Country Day to a 63-50 win over Waccamaw on Tuesday night.
Hil Tanner finished with 16 points for the Chargers. Deshar Thomas chipped-in 14 points in the win.
Wayne Country Day (2-0 overall) travels to Fayetteville Christian on Nov. 29.
Spring Creek 57, South Lenoir 42
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek opened the season with a 57-42 victory over rival South Lenoir on Tuesday night.
Adam Haggerty paced the Gators with 24 points and 11 rebounds. Rashawn Edwards added nine points and 10 boards. Trey Hammonds finished with eight points.
Spring Creek (1-0 overall) is the guest of Lejeune on Dec. 2.
Eastern Wayne 44
* AYDEN -- Eastern Wayne never got its offense going in a 58-44 defeat at Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday night.
Josiah Davis paced the Warriors with 11 points. Tyrik Kornegay added nine points in the defeat.
Desean Patton led Ayden-Grifton with 22 points.
Eastern Wayne (0-1 overall) plays host to Goldsboro on Nov. 29.
Rocky Mount Prep 86,
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Goldsboro failed to slow down the high-octane Rocky Mount Prep offense in an 86-57 defeat on Tuesday night.
Moses Ramsey paced the Cougars with 16 points. Demarian Henderson added 10 points and Julius Murphy finished with eight markers.
Goldsboro (0-1 overall) travels to Eastern Wayne on Nov. 29.
Corinth-Holders 60, Princeton 37
* CLAYTON -- Princeton never found its offense in a 60-37 loss to Corinth-Holders on Tuesday night.
CJ Jeffries and Brandon Stancil emerged as the only Bulldawgs in double figures with 12 points apiece.
Khalil Cox led Corinth-Holders with 16 points.
The teams will face off again Nov. 29 at Princeton.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Linda Cannon and Evelyn Rose shared low-net honors during weekly play on the Walnut Creek Country Club links. Hiromi Sueki emerged the low gross winner, while Mary Morris won low putts.
Cougars start 0-2
* Goldsboro High launched its 2011-12 campaign with back-to-back, non-conference losses against South Lenoir and county powerhouse Rosewood on Tuesday evening.
Heavyweight Ricardo Exum earned a forfeit against South Lenoir, while 113-pounder Deshawn Oliver recorded a 26-second fall over Matt Odham.
Kurtis Durham scored a first-period fall over the Eagles' Evan Reiss at 145 pounds. Teammates Thomas Sheinall (170 pounds) and Darrell Smithers (182) each received a forfeit.
Rosewood got individual wins from Jacob Holliday, Chris Lane, Dallas Pope, Tamarius Bryant, Quadre Ayers, Josh Drew and heavyweight Jacob Guthrie.
* Girls' basketball: Southern Wayne 18, Jacksonville 17 -- Jordan Wiley paced the Saints (1-0 overall) with seven points. Shannon Casto added four points in the win.
* Boys' basketball: Goldsboro 70, RM Prep 64 -- Javontay Ellis led the Cougars with 22 points and Rasheen Artis added 18 points. Daktavius Wheeler rounded-out the Cougars (1-0 overall) in double figures with 14 points.
* Boys' basketball: C.B. Aycock 40, Greene Central 36 -- Trae Woodard led the Golden Falcons with 14 points. Neil Clark added 11 points in the win. C.B. Aycock improved to 1-0 overall.
* Girls' basketball: Northwood Temple 26, Wayne Christian 22 -- Jennifer Potter and Emily Wells led the Eagles with six points each. Brooke Slusher led Wayne Christian with eight rebounds.
Other Local Sports
- Saints Thanksgiving Classic -- Outlaw has career outing for Southern Wayne
- Saints Thanksgiving Classic -- West Craven upends Southern Wayne
- Pirates sign 10 players for 2013
- Saints Thanksgiving Classic boxes -- Day 1
- Saints Thanksgiving Classic -- James Kenan falls to Pine Forest
- Aycock's Barfield, Simmons lead ECC All-Conference parade
- Mount Olive College will add men's lacrosse in 2012-13
- Wise makes choice, signs with UNC
- Ducky weather calls for wing shooting deer
- News-Argus Defensive Player of the Year -- Keith Jones