Area grapplers roll around during Eastern Wayne meet
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on November 25, 2011 1:48 PM
The margin of victory is shrinking and the competitive level has become even, but Charles B. Aycock remained perfect against Eastern Wayne on the wrestling mat since 2001.
The Golden Falcons collected their 15th consecutive triumph over the Warriors with a 43-31 decision on Wednesday evening. Aycock logged the first takedown in nine of 11 contested individual bouts, and hung on for the win.
Freshman Zach Howard set the tone for the Golden Falcons (5-0 overall) with a second-period pin of the Warriors' Brice Heller. Returning starters Jordan Bailey, David Romo and Daniel Romo also recorded pins.
Eastern Wayne (3-2) controlled the upper weights, earning four pins and a one-point decision by Quadrick Williams at 160 pounds. Williams finished the night unbeaten (4-0) along with Austin Helm (5-0), Rashaun Pridgen (3-0), Jamel Barrett (5-0) and heavyweight Terrell Blake (5-0).
Howard, the Romo siblings, Charlie Mills, Khaleil Owens and Jorge Flores each posted 5-0 records for the Golden Falcons. Mills pinned three of five opponents for Aycock, which cranked out dual-team wins over Princeton, Goldsboro, Rosewood and Hertford County.
"Seven returning starters helps establish a solid lineup for this season," said third-year Golden Falcons head coach Marc Peck, who had 36 wrestlers report for the first day of practice. "Our seasoned veterans set the tone and our first-year starters followed their lead. We are extremely optimistic with the young talent we have, as they are the most coachable group we've had in years."
(Editor's note: Individual and team information was not submitted by Rosewood, Goldsboro and Princeton).
Other Local Sports
- Saints Thanksgiving Classic -- Outlaw has career outing for Southern Wayne
- Saints Thanksgiving Classic -- West Craven upends Southern Wayne
- Pirates sign 10 players for 2013
- Saints Thanksgiving Classic boxes -- Day 1
- Saints Thanksgiving Classic -- James Kenan falls to Pine Forest
- Aycock's Barfield, Simmons lead ECC All-Conference parade
- Mount Olive College will add men's lacrosse in 2012-13
- Wise makes choice, signs with UNC
- Ducky weather calls for wing shooting deer
- News-Argus Defensive Player of the Year -- Keith Jones