Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on November 30, 2011 1:48 PM
Goldsboro 64, Eastern Wayne 51
* Goldsboro overcame a sluggish start en route to a 64-51 win over rival Eastern Wayne on Tuesday night.
The Cougars trailed by three points after the first period and continued to struggle offensively until late in the second period. A 16-1 run to finish the first half propelled the visitors to a 33-25 halftime lead.
The second half mirrored the first as both teams failed to find much offensive flow through a foul-plagued third quarter. Eastern Wayne cut the lead to six early in the fourth period before Goldsboro got back-to-back baskets by Kasheika Wallace and Alexus Myles that effectively put the game away.
Brandy Johnson led the Cougars' offense with 17 points. Myles added 12 points and Shatoria Exum finished with 11 markers. Wallace tallied 10 points and a team-high 13 rebounds.
Shantae Monk paced the Eastern Wayne attack with seven points as 12 different Warriors scratched in the scoring column.
Goldsboro (2-0 overall) travels to Southern Wayne on Friday night. Eastern Wayne (0-2) is the guest of Havelock tonight.
James Kenan 44, Southern Wayne 21
* DUDLEY -- James Kenan jumped out to a 12-1 lead and rolled past Southern Wayne 44-21 on Tuesday night. Tamia Rhodes led the Tigers with 10 points.
Latrecia Johnson scored five points for the Saints. Jane Hamilton and Keajah Wilson each scored three points.
"Turnovers and missed shots really hurt us tonight," Southern Wayne head coach Ricky Lofton said. "We didn't have any flow offensively and it hurts not having a floor leader."
The Saints (1-1 overall) visit East Duplin today, while James Kenan faces East Duplin on Friday.
Princeton 43, Corinth-Holders 37
* PRINCETON -- Savanna Massengill poured in 23 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead Princeton to a 43-37 win over Corinth-Holders on Tuesday evening.
Massengill also recorded four steals and three blocks. Megan Gerrell contributed 13 points and six assists. Sam Gibson led Corinth-Holders with 13 points.
The Bulldogs (2-1 overall) visit Hobbton today.
Wilson Hunt 42, C.B. Aycock 35
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock did little to cut into an eight-point halftime deficit in a 42-35 home loss to Wilson Hunt on Tuesday night.
Quanika Artis led the Golden Falcons with nine points. Ivy Hartzell and Imari Howell both scored eight points. Kanisha Brown finished with a game-high 17 points for the Warriors.
Aycock (1-1 overall) travels to Greene Central today.
Fayetteville Christian 41, Wayne Country Day 38
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Catherine Ford scored 20 points, but it wasn't enough in Wayne Country Day's 41-38 loss on Tuesday night at Fayetteville Christian. Fayetteville Christian is currently ranked No. 3 in the state among the state's independent 2-A schools.
Sarah Best provided 12 points for the Chargers.
Wayne Country Day (2-1 overall) plays host to Waccamaw Academy on Friday.
Bethel Christian 42, Faith Christian 35
* KINSTON -- Hailey Moody poured in 22 points to lead Bethel Christian past Faith Christian 42-35 in a N.C. Christian Schools Association 2-A Coastal game Tuesday night.
Christina Powell and Briana Champion each scored 10 points for Faith. Elizabethe Weeks supplied nine points.
The Conquerors (0-2 overall) entertain Hilltop Christian on Friday.
Lakewood 69, North Duplin 20
* CALYPSO -- Lakewood outscored North Duplin 33-1 in the third quarter and cruised to a 69-20 victory on Tuesday night.
Tearra Ammons led the Rebels with nine points. Teisha Rich scored a game-high 17 points for the Leopards.
North Duplin (0-1 overall) plays host to Hobbton on Friday.
Trinity Christian 44, Wayne Christian 39
* RALEIGH -- Wayne Christian came up short in a 44-39 loss on Tuesday evening at Trinity Christian.
Courtney Barrow finished with 15 points and seven rebounds for the Eagles. Katie Isenhower supplied six points and 10 rebounds. Victoria Combs and Sara Davis both had six points. Davis also pulled down seven rebounds.
Corinth-Holders 66, Princeton 60
* PRINCETON -- Poor free throw shooting haunted Princeton in a 66-60 loss to visiting Corinth-Holders on Tuesday night.
The Bulldogs shot just 4 for 13 from the free throw line.
CJ Jefferys paced Princeton with 15 points. Aaron Simpkins and Rusty Wallace each supplied 14 points. Wallace also grabbed 10 rebounds. Khalil Larry led Corinth-Holders with 16 points.
The Bulldogs (1-2 overall) visit Hobbton today.
Bethel Christian 64, Faith Christian 63
* KINSTON -- Bethel Christian hit a last-second 3-pointer to escape with a 64-63 victory over N.C. Christian Schools Association 2-A Coastal foe Faith Christian on Tuesday night.
Aaron Hill scored 26 points for the Conquerors. Michael Clark contributed 15 points and Wes Caudle had 13. Connor Anderson added seven points.
Faith (2-2 overall) plays host to Hilltop Christian on Friday.
Wayne Country Day 49, Fayetteville Christian 46
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Wayne Country Day erased a 14-point second-quarter deficit and slipped past Fayetteville Christian 49-46 on Tuesday night.
Spring Creek transfer Deshar Thomas scored 18 points and handed out five assists for the Chargers. Brandon McCarter contributed 11 points and seven rebounds. Hil Tanner had 10 points.
Wayne Country Day (3-0 overall) entertains Waccamaw Academy on Friday.
Lakewood 76, North Duplin 56
* CALYPSO -- North Duplin opened its season with a 76-56 loss to visiting Lakewood on Tuesday evening.
Tyler Royal finished with 15 points for the Rebels. Breyon Johnson contributed 13 points. Devin Oliver and James Kornegay each had 11 points. Ryan Emfinger scored a game-high 17 points for the Leopards.
North Duplin (0-1 overall) entertains Hobbton on Friday.
Trinity Christian 50, Wayne Christian 36
* RALEIGH -- Wayne Christian scored just two points in the second quarter and never caught up in a 50-36 loss on Tuesday night at Trinity Christian.
Chase Darden paced the Eagles (1-6 overall) with nine points. Taurell Singletary and Seth Slusher both had eight points.
Ayden-Grifton 54, Spring Creek 30
* Thomas Edwards (126 pounds), Corey Howell (132), Carson Gramley (182), Kevin Lipscomb (195) and Carlos Osario (220) each recorded pins for the Gators.
Spring Creek forfeited eight matches.
The Gators (0-1 overall) play host to Clinton on Friday.
* Boys' basketball: Goldsboro 47, Eastern Wayne 40 -- Rasheen Artis scored 17 points for the Cougars. Taylin Davis added 11 points.
* Boys' basketball: Southern Wayne 83, James Kenan 40 -- Tyiwan Johnson led the Saints (3-0) with 19 points. Tarvis Bradshaw had 13 points.
* Boys' basketball: Fayetteville Christian 58, Wayne Country Day 53 -- Tyler Talton paced the Chargers with 23 points. Marlon Coley supplied 12 points. Wayne Country Day faces the Goldsboro Heat on Thursday.
* Girls' basketball: Bethel Christian 31, Faith Christian 18 -- Meredith Skinner finished with nine points for Faith. Tiffany Hoskins has six points.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 54, Mount Olive 19 -- Tanika Powell led Norwayne with 13 points. Taylor Daniels and .McKenzie Turnage each had seven points. Monica Manley scored eight points for Mount Olive (0-2 overall). Norwayne (2-0) plays host to Rosewood on Thursday.
* Boys' basketball: Neuse Charter 33, Wayne Christian 19 -- Nathan Clark paced the Eagles with six points. Wayne Christian (2-4 overall) travels to Christ Covenant on Dec. 8.