By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on December 6, 2011 1:48 PM
Rams drop two at home
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central grapplers Brett Shackleford, Matt Anderson and Alex Carroll each logged a 2-0 worksheet during a tri-meet against Eastern Plains 2-A Conference foes North Pitt and Tarboro on Monday evening.
But the Rams suffered a pair of team losses. North Pitt rolled to a 56-24 decision, while Tarboro slipped by 41-39.
Shackleford, who competed at 126 pounds, pinned the Panthers' Sebastian Hernandez and earned a forfeit against the Vikings. Anderson (152 pounds) pinned Denautica Knight from North Pitt and received a forfeit against Tarboro. Carroll pinned both of his opponents.
Greene Central (0-3 overall) also got individual victories from Deondra Sutton, Abram Walker, Marquis Mumford, Rasheem Shackleford and heavyweight Rodney Johnson during the three-team affair.
Parrott Academy 37, Rosewood 30
* Parrott Academy used an 18-6 second-half run to put away Rosewood, 37-30, in non-conference play Monday evening.
Kelsey Kornegay's offensive putback and free throw gave the Eagles their final lead, 21-17, early in the third quarter. Parrott held Rosewood without a field goal for the next six-plus minutes and grabbed a 23-21 lead after three quarters of play.
The Patriots (3-3 overall) slowly stretched their lead in the fourth quarter as the Eagles (1-3) struggled to convert shots from the floor.
Kornegay and Alicia Burns emerged Rosewood's offensive leaders with 10 points apiece. Kornegay just missed a double-double with nine rebounds. Holy Heath and point guard Logan Bill each dished out two assists.
Heather West and seventh-grader Erin Hughes paced the Patriots with 12 and 11 points, respectively.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 36, Greenwood 16 -- Taylor Daniels led the way for the Cobras with 15 points. Tanika Powell finished with 14 points in the win. Alicia Hobbs emerged the leading scorer for Greenwood with eight points. Norwayne improved to 3-1 overall.
* Girls' basketball: Rosewood 49, Mount Olive 15 -- Lexi Mercer led the way for the Eagles with 17 points. Alyssa Garrison finished with 11 points in the win. Rosewood improved to 3-1 overall.
* Boys' basketball: Rosewood 31, Mount Olive 21 -- Cameron Kornegay led the Eagles with eight points. Rosewood (3-1 overall) travels to Greenwood on Thursday.