Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 9, 2011 1:48 PM
North Duplin 67,
James Kenan 64
* CALYPSO -- Breyon Johnson poured in 22 points and North Duplin rallied for a 67-64, non-conference victory over visiting James Kenan on Thursday evening.
The Tigers led 41-34 at the half, but were outscored 43-33 in the final two quarters. Devin Oliver and Tyler Royal both contributed 10 points for the Rebels. James Kornegay had 10 points.
Jeremy Smith scored a game-high 31 points for Kenan. Andre Smith provided 12 points.
North Duplin (2-2 overall) travels to Hobbton tonight, while the Tigers (2-4) entertain Hobbton on Tuesday in the Tri-County 1-A Conference opener for both teams.
James Kenan 50,
North Duplin 21
* CALYPSO -- James Kenan cruised past North Duplin 50-21 on Thursday evening.
Dezarae Phillips led the Tigers with 11 points. Tamia Rhodes added 10 points. Jessica Jones scored eight points for the Rebels.
North Duplin (1-3 overall) visits Hobbton tonight. Kenan entertains Hobbton on Tuesday.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 55, Goldsboro Heat 41 -- Dennis Mitchell paced the Chargers with 15 points. Tyler Talton supplied 12 points and Jamel Forde had 11 points. Blake Poland scored 21 points for the Heat. Harrison Farley provided 10 points and 10 rebounds. Wayne Country Day (3-1 overall) entertains Fayetteville Christian today. The Goldsboro Heat visit the Durham Flight on Saturday.
* Girls' basketball: Goldsboro Ice 36, Wayne Country Day 27 -- McKayla Parks recorded the first-ever double-double in Goldsboro Ice program history with 14 points and 12 rebounds as the Ice collected its first-ever win. Becca Edmonson pulled down 10 rebounds. Kaitlyn Farley had nine points and four steals. Logan Harrell tallied 12 points for the Chargers. Bailee Creger and Taylor Sledge both had six points. The Ice (1-2 overall) visit the Durham Flight on Saturday.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 32, Goldsboro Heat 27 -- Preston Edwards scored 15 points for the Chargers. Thomas Vermillion led the Heat with 15 points and 10 rebounds. The Heat (0-2) visit Durham Flight on Saturday. Wayne Country Day (3-0) plays host to Trinity Christian of Fayetteville on Tuesday.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Christian 48, Christ Covenant 30 -- Seth Harrell finished with 15 points for the Eagles. Wayne Christian (3-4) plays host to Community Christian on Jan. 5.
* Boys' basketball: Greenwood 36, Rosewood 20 -- Cameron Kornegay contributed eight points for Rosewood (3-2).
* Girls' basketball: Rosewood 39, Greenwood 8 -- Lexi Mercer led the Eagles with 23 points. Alyssa Garrison had 10 points. Rosewood (4-1) travels to Grantham on Monday.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Christian 23, Christ Covenant 6 -- Georgia Parnell led the Eagles with seven points. Emily Wells and Brooke Slusher each had six points.