Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 14, 2011 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 42,
North Lenoir 34
* LaGRANGE -- Defending regular-season champion Charles B. Aycock remained tied atop the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference standings with a 42-34 victory on Tuesday night at ECC foe North Lenoir.
Imari Howell paced the Golden Falcons with 11 points. Courtnei Gilbert supplied 10 points. Myleah Jones and Ivy Hartzell both had eight points.
Aycock (4-3 overall, 2-0 ECC) plays host to South Johnston on Friday.
Wayne Country Day 35
* Trinity Christian closed the first half on an 11-1 run and pulled away for a 55-35 win at on Tuesday night at Wayne Country Day.
The Crusaders led 24-14 at the half and the lead grew to 40-21 through three quarters. Ashanti Hardy led the Chargers with 13 points. Catherine Ford had 10 points.
"We weren't prepared and ready to play and that is on me as a head coach," Wayne Country Day head coach Eric Perry said. "We didn't rebound, shoot well or move without the basketball."
The Chargers entertain a team from Australia tonight.
Eastern Wayne 62,
* Eastern Wayne improved to 2-0 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with a 62-53 win over Cleveland on Tuesday night in New Hope.
The Warriors shot lights out in the opening quarter as they built a 26-9 lead and put the game on ice early.
Jasmine Covington paced the Warriors' offense with 12 points. Elondia Grant added eight points and Tamiya Dortch finished with seven markers.
"I think we are finally starting to put things together a little bit," Eastern Wayne head coach Tyrone Wagner said. "We had some tough losses early in the non-conference, but now that we are into league play I think the girls realize that these games are all very important and our play has reflected that."
Eastern Wayne (3-4 overall, 2-0 ECC) plays host to Ayden-Grifton tonight.
Lejeune 40, North Duplin 27
* CALYPSO -- Lejeune pulled away in the fourth quarter for a 40-27 victory on Tuesday night at North Duplin.
Tearra Ammons led the Rebels with 12 points. Jessica Jones had 11 points. Chatori Major scored a game-high 18 points for the Devilpups.
North Duplin (1-5 overall) visits Union tonight.
Southern Wayne 65, Triton 55
* ERWIN -- Ronnell Outlaw poured in 21 points and Southern Wayne defeated Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Triton 65-55 on Tuesday evening. It was the Hawks' first loss of the season.
Jamiel Price contributed 19 points for the Saints and Jaylen Roberts had 12 points. Southern Wayne (8-1 overall, 1-0 ECC) shot 35 for 45 from the free throw line.
The Saints entertain Jones Senior tonight.
C.B. Aycock 79,
North Lenoir 52
* LaGRANGE -- Charles B. Aycock earned its first win of the season with a 79-52 victory over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe North Lenoir on Tuesday night.
Michael Williams scored 21 points for the Golden Falcons. Michael Kearney contributed 15 points. Greg Williams supplied 13 points and Shake Powell had eight.
Aycock (1-6, 1-1 ECC) plays host to South Johnston on Friday.
Lejeune 65, North Duplin 55
* CALYPSO -- North Duplin came up just short in a 66-65 non-conference loss to visiting Lejeune on Tuesday night.
Breyon Johnson and Devin Oliver each scored 20 points for the Rebels. Tyler Royal had 11 points and James Kornegay added eight. Craig Wilson finished with 15 points for the Devilpups.
North Duplin (2-4 overall) travels to Union tonight
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 39, Trinity Christian 35 -- Preston Edwards and Tony Townsend each scored 14 points for the Chargers. Wayne Country Day (4-0) entertains St. Mary's tonight.
Other Local Sports
- Rosewood leads Carolina Conference Cup chase after fall season
- Wayne Christian-Community Christian boxes
- Foul-plagued Wayne Christian slips past Community
- WCS boys fall to Community Christian
- Aycock girls improve to 3-0 in ECC play this season
- South Johnston knocks off CBA boys
- Southern Wayne boys stay atop ECC standings
- Friday's prep basketball boxes
- Virginia Union upend MOC women
- Devilpups ease past Gators