Aycock girls improve to 3-0 in ECC play this season
By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on December 17, 2011 11:19 PM
C.B. Aycock 53, South Johnston 33
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock remained unbeaten in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with a 53-33 win over South Johnston on Friday night.
The Golden Falcons (5-3 overall) improved to 3-0 in ECC action and are firmly entrenched atop the league standings.
C.B. Aycock held each South Johnston scorer to single-digit point totals. Sidney Dunn paced the Trojans with nine points.
Imari Howell led the way for the Golden Falcons with 18 points and nine rebounds. Ivy Hartzell added 14 points and five boards. Courtnei Gilbert scored eight points while battling foul trouble throughout the game.
C.B. Aycock plays host to Goldsboro on Tuesday night.
Lejeune 53, Spring Creek 19
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek never got its offense going in a 53-19 loss to Lejeune on Friday night.
The Devilpups closed the second quarter with 10 unanswered points to take a 29-7 lead and never looked back.
Alyssa Boria led the Gators with 11 points.
Chatori Major scored 12 points for Lejeune.
Cleveland 47, Southern Wayne 29
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne logged the game's first field goal and followed that with a 12-minute scoring drought in a 47-29 loss to Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival Cleveland on Friday.
The Saints (1-8 overall, 0-2 ECC) converted just three of 20 possessions in the opening quarter, and five overall in the first half.
Danielle Carlton paced Southern Wayne's offense with 12 points, while Jane Hamilton contributed eight points, 11 rebounds, three steals and one assist.
Monique Tores led the Rams' guard-oriented offense with 14 points. Jasmine Richardson knocked down 11 points, including the lone 3-pointer by either team. Aleiah Sands added eight points.
Wayne Country Day 47,
Community Christian 29
* WILSON -- Catherine Ford poured in 24 points to lead Wayne Country Day to a 47-29 non-conference win over Community Christian at the Eastern N.C. School for the Deaf on Friday evening.
Mack Thompson supplied nine points for the Chargers and Sarah Best had eight points.
Wayne Country Day (4-3) visits Cary Christian Academy on Jan. 4, 2012.
Grace Christian 59, Wayne Christian 46
* SANFORD -- Wayne Christian had three scorers in double figures, but it wasn't enough in a 59-46 loss on Friday evening loss at Carolina Christian 1-A foe Grace Christian.
Katie Isenhower led the Eagles with 17 points, 10 rebounds and five steals. Courtney Barrow contributed 12 points and eight rebounds. Victoria Combs had 11 points and Sara Davis grabbed 11 rebounds.
Goldsboro 57, Southern Nash 50
* Jalin Sprueil went 6 for 6 at the free throw line in the fourth quarter to help seal Goldsboro's 57-50, non-conference victory over visiting Southern Nash on Friday night.
Quavus Holloman, Sprueil and Moses Ramsey each scored 12 points for the Cougars. Damarian Henderson had eight points. Goldsboro outscored Southern Nash 31-15 in the second half.
The Cougars (4-5 overall) travel to Charles B. Aycock on Tuesday.
Wilson Hunt 47, Eastern Wayne 30
* WILSON -- Wilson Hunt swept the non-conference, regular-season series from Eastern Wayne with a 47-30 win on Friday night.
Lee Atkinson led Eastern Wayne with 13 points. Josiah Davis had seven points.
The Warriors (5-4 overall) face Rocky Mount Prep on Monday in the Bulldog Christmas Invitational at Princeton. Game time is 5:30 p.m.
Community Christian 68, Wayne Country Day 45
* WILSON -- Wayne Country Day suffered a 68-45 loss against Community Christian on Friday night.
Brandon McCarter and Deshar Thomas both scored 17 points for the Chargers. McCarter also had nine rebounds and five assist. Wayne Country Day (4-4 overall) will participate in the Carolina Day Tournament, scheduled Dec. 27-29 at UNC Asheville.
Grace Christian 72, Wayne Christian 59
* SANFORD -- Wayne Christian fell behind early in a 72-59 loss on Friday night at Grace Christian.
Chase Darden scored 21 points for the Eagles. David Swets had 16 points and Chandler Harrell contributed eight points.
James Kenan 69, Union 65
* CLINTON -- James Kenan improved to 2-0 in Tri-County 1-A Conference play with a 69-65 win on Friday evening at Union.
Michael Moore scored 17 points for the Tigers. Jeremy Smith and Antonio Smith each supplied 15 points. Andre Smith had 14 points and T.J. Fullwood added eight.
The Tigers begin play in the Wallace-Rose Hill Christmas tournament on Tuesday.
* Boys' basketball: Southern Wayne 73, Cleveland 35 -- Southern Wayne improved to 10-0 behind 15 points from Tarvis Bradshaw. Xavier Pearsall had 12 points. The Saints are hosting a JV Christmas tournament Dec. 21-22.
* Boys' basketball: Goldsboro 48, Southern Nash 35 -- Jaylen Moore paced the Cougars with 12 points. Rasheen Artis and D'onte Russell both had six points.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 47, Community Christian 37 -- Marlon Coley scored 11 points for the Chargers. Jamal Forde provided 10 points. Wayne Country Day (6-2) travels to Cary Christian Academy on Jan. 4.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Country Day 32, Community Christian 8 -- Catherine Langston paced the Chargers with eight points. Bailee Creger, Anna Allen and Olivia Dively all had six points. Creger pulled down seven rebounds.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 46, Community Christian 35 -- Jacob Norris led the Chargers with 18 points. Preston Edwards had 15 points. Wayne Country Day (6-0 overall) visits Trinity Christian of Fayetteville on Jan. 6.
Other Local Sports
- Bulldog Christmas Invitational Boys recap
- Prep basketball boxes
- MOC drops Fayetteville St. women
- Mike Knox honored by Apex High School
- Bulldog Christmas Invitational Girls recap
- MOC falls to Wingate
- Local digest
- Eastern Wayne quad -- part II
- Rosewood leads Carolina Conference Cup chase after fall season
- Wayne Christian-Community Christian boxes