Prep briefs: Goldsboro girls dominate Eastern Wayne
By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on December 23, 2011 1:48 PM
Goldsboro 55, Eastern Wayne 28
* Goldsboro adjusted to Eastern Wayne's full-court press and pulled away for a 55-28 win on Thursday evening.
The Warriors used an aggressive press to force turnovers and neutralize the Cougars' size. Goldsboro led 12-11 after one quarter and used a 14-3 run to take a 26-14 lead late in the second quarter. The deficit grew to 42-26 at the end of the third quarter.
Talaya Lassiter led Goldsboro (9-2) with 15 points. Alexus Myles had 12 points and Kasheika Wallace added 10.
"We adjusted to the press and that's been one of our weak areas," Goldsboro head coach LaTina Bullock said. "We've been working on getting the ball up the court."
Jasmine Benjamin paced Eastern Wayne (4-6) with eight points.
* Boys' basketball: Goldsboro 58, Eastern Wayne 57 -- Rasheen Artis and Jaylin Moore each scored 19 points for the Cougars. Taylin Davis added 12 points. Joe Baker scored the go-ahead basket for Goldsboro in the closing moments. Eastern Wayne missed a potential game-tying free throw with less than a second to play.
Other Local Sports
- Prep basketball boxes
- Cougars avenge early season loss to archrival Saints
- Local Preps Digest
- Local opinion: Phillips' lofty program goals certainly not a dream to him
- Carolina 1-A rivals showing steady improvement on wrestling mat
- Prep wrestling boxes
- Trail management becoming parks issue
- Whooping cranes nesting in western NC
- Despite strange look, "puffers" make some good eating
- Goldsboro's guards do their job against Warriors