Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 30, 2011 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 57, Rosewood 36
* PIKEVILLE -- Rosewood hung tough for two quarters but never found an answer for Charles B. Aycock's front line in a 57-36 loss on Thursday night.
C.B. Aycock used a significant size advantage to pound the ball in the paint in the second half.
Imari Howell paced the Golden Falcons with 26 points. Ashley Darden added 10 points.
"We were without Ivy Hartzell, our usual power forward, so we moved Imari to that spot and she really did a great job," C.B. Aycock assistant coach Tom Zietlow said. "We struggled a little bit in the first half, but when we needed some buckets to pull away (Howell) was able to get them."
Kelsey Kornegay led Rosewood with 10 points. Holly Heath finished with eight markers.
C.B. Aycock (7-3) travels to Cleveland on Tuesday. Rosewood (1-8) visits Ayden-Grifton on Jan. 6.
James Kenan 52, North Duplin 26
* WARSAW -- North Duplin never got its offense in gear versus county rival James Kenan on Thursday night. The Tigers rolled to a 52-26 victory.
Jessica Jones led the Rebels with 14 points. Jasmine Jones added seven points in the defeat.
North Duplin (2-7) plays host to Goldsboro on Jan. 6.
Oakwood 62, Wayne Country Day 56
* ASHEVILLE -- Wayne Country Day battled back from an early deficit but fell short in a 62-56 loss to Oakwood in the third place game of the Carolina Day Christmas Tournament on Thursday.
Deshar Thomas led the Chargers with 25 points and was named to the All-tournament team. Brandon McCarter added 15 points and Hil Tanner finished with 14.
Wayne Country Day (5-6) travels to Trinity of Fayetteville on Jan. 6.
James Kenan 67, North Duplin 61
* WARSAW -- James Kenan avenged an earlier loss to North Duplin with a 67-61 win on Thursday night.
Breyon Johnson led the Rebels with 15 points. Konner Brock added 13 points and Tyler Royal finished with 12 markers.
Jeremy Smith paced the James Kenan offense with 17 points. Antonia Smith added 16 points in the win.
North Duplin (3-6) entertains Goldsboro on Jan. 6.
* Boys' basketball: C.B. Aycock 40, Rosewood 10 -- Charles B. Aycock held Rosewood to just three points in the second half in a 40-10 win on Thursday night. Trey Woodard led the Golden Falcons with 11 points. Bobby Hampton added 10 points in the win. C.B. Aycock improved to 5-4.
Other Local Sports
- Trojan women turn back rival Pfeiffer U
- Local Preps Digest
- Anuna's jumper seals Falcons' OT victory
- Aycock grapplers seek crown
- Local Preps Digest
- Stevens: Panthers' defense must improve in 2012
- Southern Wayne takes control of conference
- Prep basketball boxes
- Trojan women take care of pesky Cobras
- Hayes enjoys career night for MOC