Local Preps Digest
By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on January 4, 2012 1:48 PM
Eastern Wayne 66, Southern Wayne 30
* Eastern Wayne got scoring contributions from 13 different players en route to a 66-30 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival Southern Wayne on Tuesday night.
The Warriors were led by Brooke Dougherty's nine-point effort. Tamiya Dortch added eight points in the win.
"That is one of the big things I like about this team," Eastern Wayne head coach Tyrone Wagner said. "We don't have that one girl we rely on to score a bulk of the points, instead we have a lot of girls who can all contribute to the offense in small parts."
The victory moved the Warriors (5-7 overall, 3-0 ECC) into a first-place tie with Charles B. Aycock in the ECC. The two squads meet in Pikeville on Friday night.
Jane Hamilton paced Southern Wayne with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
The Saints (1-10, 0-3) play host to South Johnston on Friday night.
C.B. Aycock 42, Cleveland 29
* CLAYTON -- Charles B. Aycock improved to 4-0 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with a 42-29 win on Tuesday.
Imari Howell led the Golden Falcons with 11 points. Courtnei Gilbert had nine points. Ivy Hartzell grabbed six rebounds.
Aycock (8-3, 4-0 ECC) plays host to Eastern Wayne on Friday.
Faith Christian 40, Cornerstone 21
* Faith Christian got is first victory of 2012 with a 40-21 win over visiting Cornerstone Christian on Tuesday evening.
Christina Powell and Brianna Champion both scored eight points for the Conquerors. Elizabethe Weeks had six points.
Faith faces Tri-Cities Christian at 4:30 p.m. on Friday in the Tabernacle Christian Invitational in Monroe.
C.B. Aycock 42, Cleveland 41
* CLAYTON -- Michael Williams hit a shot at the buzzer to lift Charles B. Aycock to a 42-41 win at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Cleveland on Tuesday night.
Williams scored 14 points and grabbed six rebounds. Cameron Johnson had 12 points.
The Golden Falcons (3-8, 2-2 ECC) play host to Eastern Wayne on Friday.
Faith Christian 45, Cornerstone 37
* Aaron Hill scored 15 points to lead Faith Christian to a 45-37 win over Cornerstone on Tuesday night.
Michael Clarke supplied 13 points and Wes Caudle had eight.
The Conquerors are playing in the Tabernacle Christian Invitational in Monroe this weekend.
C.B. Aycock 71, South Johnston 6
* FOUR OAKS -- Charles B. Aycock earned its first Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference victory of the season with a 71-6 thumping of South Johnston on Tuesday night.
Khaliel Owens, Jaquan Walker, Charlie Mills, Daniel Romo, Jordan Bailey, Nick Jones and Zach Howard each collected a pin for the Golden Falcons.
Preston Tucker, David Romo, Matt Teachey, Jorge Flores, Ryan Morton and Broc Doyle all won by forfeit.
Aycock (22-2, 1-1 ECC) is hosting the Falcon Invitational on Saturday.
* Boys' basketball: C.B. Aycock 33, Cleveland 30 -- Trae Woodard paced the Golden Falcons with 22 points and 10 rebounds. Aycock (6-4, 3-1 ECC) entertains Eastern Wayne on Friday.