Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 13, 2012 1:48 PM
Wayne Country Day 39
* GREENVILLE -- Sarah Best scored 16 points but it wasn't enough as Wayne Country Day suffered a 47-39 loss on Thursday night at two-time defending Coastal Plains Independent Conference champ Oakwood.
Catherine Ford supplied 14 points for the Chargers, who suffered their fourth defeat in their last six outings.
Wayne Country Day (5-5 overall, 0-1 CPIC) plays host to Greenfield on Jan. 20.
Wayne Country Day 38
* GREENVILLE -- Wayne Country Day opened its Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference slate with a 57-38 loss at Oakwood on Thursday evening.
Deshar Thomas scored 16 points for the Chargers. Brandon McCarter contributed 12 points.
Wayne Country Day (5-9 overall, 0-1 CPIC) entertains The Epiphany School on Tuesday. Tip-off is 6 p.m.
In Thursday's edition of the News-Argus, placing and times were omitted for Charles B. Aycock senior Bryce Connolly, who emerged victorious in the 50-yard free and 200 free events during a swim meet at the Family Y.
Connolly shattered a personal record with a meet-winning mark of 26.86 seconds in the 50 free. She swam the 200 free in 2:10.24.
The News-Argus apologizes for the omission.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 68, Oakwood 49 -- Dennis Mitchell paced the Chargers with 16 points. Jamaal Forde added 14 points. Tyler Talton and Marlon Coley each had 10 points. Wayne Country Day (8-3 overall) entertains Pope John Paul today.
* Girls' basketball: Oakwood 32, Wayne Country Day 16 -- Taylor Sledge supplied eight points and four rebounds for Wayne Country Day. Bailee Creger had three points and six rebounds. The Chargers (4-3 overall) play host to Pope John Paul today.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 33, Mount Olive 24 -- Taylor Daniels led Norwayne with nine points. Allison Shingleton had eight points. Norwayne (7-2 overall) visits Rosewood on Jan. 19.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 47, Oakwood 32 -- Preston Edwards finished with 14 points for the Chargers. Corey Carpenter contributed 13 points and Jacob Norris had eight. Wayne Country Day (9-0 overall) plays host to Goldsboro Heat on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Roberts wins King Pin Scratch Open
- MOC Men's Volleyball Festival ends with 1-2 record
- C.B. Aycock, Rosewood fare well at Firebird Duals
- Whitfield gets an unexpected surprise that draws a standing ovation
- Rosewood hangs on against Spring Creek
- Local Preps Digest
- Prep basketball boxes
- Mount Olive men pull away late to win
- Lady Trojans cruise past Bobcats
- Limestone claims festival finale