Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 25, 2012 1:48 PM
Princeton 40, Rosewood 38
* Princeton hung on for a 40-38 win on Tuesday night at Carolina 1-A Conference archrival Rosewood.
The Eagles rallied from a seven-point deficit in the closing seconds but were unable to complete the comeback.
Nicole Melvin led the Bulldogs (9-7 overall, 4-1 CC) with 13 points. Savanna Massengill added 11 points. Princeton used an effective 3-2 zone defense in the fourth quarter to slow down the Eagles.
"I thought at times in the fourth quarter Rosewood was looking for the 3-pointer and that's one reason why we went to the 3-2 zone," Bulldogs' head coach Marty Gurganus said. "We were able to create some turnovers and convert those into points."
Holly Heath scored 19 points for the Eagles.
"We had great chances at the end," Rosewood head coach Ryan Wells said. "We just weren't able to convert."
The Bulldogs visit Spring Creek on Friday, while the Eagles (3-13, 1-4) play host to Ayden-Grifton.
C.B. Aycock 41, North Lenoir 28
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock bounced back from its first Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference loss of the season with a 41-28 victory over North Lenoir on Tuesday evening.
Imari Howell led the Golden Falcons with 14 points. Quanika Artis contributed nine points and Ivy Hartzell had seven. Deshonna Cox scored 17 points for the Hawks (8-12 overall, 3-5) and grabbed 10 rebounds.
Aycock (11-5, 7-1 ECC) travels to South Johnston on Friday.
Wayne Country Day 57,
Faith-Rocky Mount 34
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Catherine Ford poured in 30 points and Wayne Country Day rolled past Faith Christian of Rocky Mount 57-34 in a Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference game Tuesday evening.
Sarah Best supplied 12 points for the Chargers. Wayne Country Day (7-5 overall, 2-1 CPIC) entertains Freedom Christian on Friday.
Berean Christian 39,
Faith Christian 30
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Faith Christian endured a 39-30 loss on Tuesday evening at N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A foe Berean Christian.
Elizabethe Weeks paced the Conquerors with 12 points. Christina Powell and Katie Watson each had five points. Faith (3-9 overall) plays host to Bethel Christian on Monday.
North Duplin 44, Spring Creek 17
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- North Duplin won its second consecutive game with a 44-17 win on Tuesday evening at Spring Creek.
Tearra Ammons led the Rebels (4-10 overall, 2-3 CC) with 16 points. Jessica Jones added 10 points and Danielle Henrichs had eight.
Alyssa Boria scored eight points for the Gators (0-15, 0-5) and Janna Price had six.
Goldsboro Ice 28,
WF Lighthouse Eagles 14
* The Goldsboro Ice defeated the Wake Forest Lighthouse Eagles 28-14 on Tuesday.
Hunter Kaler led the Ice with 10 points to go with six rebounds and four assists. McKayla Parks had eight points.
The Ice (3-5 overall) entertain the North Wake Homeschoolers on Jan. 31.
Cresset Christian 46,
Wayne Christian 19
* DURHAM -- Wayne Christian never got its offense going in a 46-19 loss at Carolina Christian 1-A Conference foe Cresset Christian on Tuesday night.
Katie Isenhower paced the Eagles with nine points and nine rebounds. Carly Hightower contributed five points and four rebounds.
Cleveland 40, Eastern Wayne 29
* CLAYTON -- Eastern Wayne fell behind by eight points at halftime and never recovered in a 40-29 loss on Tuesday evening at Cleveland.
Tianna Christopher paced the Warriors with seven points. Shontel Monk had five points.
Ayden-Grifton 50, Goldsboro 34
* AYDEN -- Ayden-Grifton handed Goldsboro its first Carolina 1-A Conference loss, 50-34, on Tuesday night.
Damarian Henderson was the only Cougar to score in double figures with 12 points and nine rebounds. Octavius Alston had six points and Lonzia Tyson added four.
Goldsboro (12-6 overall, 4-1 CC) entertains North Duplin on Friday.
Triton 67, Southern Wayne 52
* DUDLEY -- Triton pulled into a tie for first place in the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference with a 67-52 win Tuesday night at Southern Wayne.
Jamiel Price finished with 16 points for the Saints. Andrew Matthews and Ronnell Outlaw both had 10 points. Tony McNeil led Triton (17-3 overall, 6-1 ECC) with 21 points.
Southern Wayne (14-4, 6-1) travels to Cleveland on Friday.
Cleveland 45, Eastern Wayne 42
* CLAYTON -- Cleveland held off Eastern Wayne 45-42 on Tuesday night. The Warriors lost for the eighth time in their last 10 games.
Josiah Davis scored 12 points for Eastern Wayne. Lee Atkinson provided 10 points. Tyrick Kornegay and Javon Darden both had eight points.
The Warriors (7-11 overall, 4-4 ECC) visit Southern Wayne on Jan. 31.
Faith Christian 71,
Berean Christian 55
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Aaron Hill scored 23 points to lead Faith Christian to a 71-55 win on Tuesday night at N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A foe Berean Christian.
Wes Caudle finished with 19 points and Michael Clarke added 14. The Conquerors (10-3 overall) play host to Bethel Christian on Monday.
North Lenoir 63,
C.B. Aycock 61 (OT)
* PIKEVILLE -- Jaquan Williams' layup and free throw with five tenths of a second remaining in overtime lifted North Lenoir to a 63-61 win Tuesday night at Charles B. Aycock.
The Hawks began the season 0-18 and have now won back-to-back games. Jauquaz Jones scored 18 points for North Lenoir. Landon Letchworth had 14 points and Braxton Davis added 13.
North Duplin 81,
Spring Creek 73
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- North Duplin picked up a key road win with an 81-73 victory on Tuesday night at Spring Creek.
James Kornegay scored 22 points for the Rebels. Tyler Royal provided 21 points and Breyon Johnson had 14. Daron Goodman added 12 points.
Adam Haggerty finished with a game-high 28 points for the Gators. Rashawn Edwards contributed 26 points.
Spring Creek (6-9 overall, 1-4) plays host to Princeton on Friday while North Duplin (4-10, 1-4) travels to Goldsboro.
Wake Forest Homeschoolers 56, Goldsboro Heat 38
* Harrison Farley led the Goldsboro Heat with 14 points in a 56-38 loss to the Wake Forest Homeschoolers on Tuesday night.
Jordan Portela supplied eight points for the Heat. Blake Polan added seven points. The Heat visit the Harnett County Faith Warriors on Friday.
Cresset Christian 76, Wayne Christian 63
* DURHAM -- Wayne Christian couldn't slow down Shawn Lipscomb in a 76-63 loss on Tuesday night against Carolina Christian 1-A Conference opponent Cresset Christian.
Lipscomb was unstoppable in scoring 46 points.
Chase Darden led the Eagles with 20 points and Chris Easom had 15.
Wayne Christian (4-15 overall) travels to Community Christian on Friday.
Wayne Country Day 72,
Faith-Rocky Mount 33
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Dayton Meadows scored 18 points and Wayne Country Day defeated Faith Christian of Rocky Mount 72-33 on Tuesday night.
The Chargers (7-10 overall, 2-2 CPIC) entertain Freedom Christian on Friday.
* Boys' basketball: Southern Wayne 63, Triton 48 -- Jaylen Bennett scored 17 points for the Saints. Xavier Pearsall provided 10 points. Southern Wayne (16-2 overall, 6-1 ECC) visits Cleveland on Friday.
* Boys' basketball: C.B. Aycock 51, North Lenoir 50 -- Nick Forced paced the Golden Falcons with 17 points. Trae Woodard had 12 points. Jimmy Ellis added 10 points and 11 rebounds. Aycock (7-7 overall, 4-4 ECC) travels to South Johnston on Friday.
* Boys' basketball: North Duplin 72, Spring Creek 63 -- No other details were reported.
* Boys' basketball: Wake Forest Lighthouse Eagles 50, Goldsboro Heat 39 -- Jacob Hughes and Blake Polan each scored 10 points for the Heat.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 59, Faith-Rocky Mount 48 -- Jamal Forde scored 19 points for the Chargers. Tyler Talton added 12 points.
* Girls' basketball: Faith Christian 32, Berean Christian 12 -- Meredith Skinner led Faith with 11 points. Tiffany Hoskins contributed eight points. Ambie Strickland had seven points and Morgan Hoskins added six. The Conquerors play host to Bethel Christian on Monday.
* Girls' basketball: Faith-Rocky Mount 34, Wayne Country Day 17 -- Logan Harrell scored eight points for the Chargers.
* Boys' basketball: Wake Forest Lighthouse Eagles 44, Goldsboro Heat 37 -- Thomas Vermillion scored nine points and grabbed five rebounds for the Heat. Gavin Portela added eight points. The Heat (1-8) visit the Raleigh Hawks on Saturday.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 41, Faith-Rocky Mount 35 -- Preston Edwards led the Chargers with 18 points. Cory Carpenter had 11. Wayne Country Day (13-0 overall, 4-0 CPIC) plays host to Freedom Christian on Friday.