Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on February 10, 2012 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 41,
Southern Wayne 18
* DUDLEY -- Charles B. Aycock wrapped up its second consecutive Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference regular-season title with a 41-18 win over Southern Wayne on Thursday.
The Golden Falcons controlled the game throughout despite playing with a shuffled lineup due to early foul trouble.
Quanika Artis paced the C.B. Aycock offense with nine points. Ivy Hartzell and Myleah Jones each added eight points in the win.
"It is always good to come out with a goal to win a conference championship and achieve that goal," Golden Falcons head coach Laura Romo said. "We played our game in the second half and we dictated the pace which was critical."
Keajah Wilson led Southern Wayne with five points.
Both teams are participating in the ECC tournament next week. The Golden Falcons (14-6 overall, 10-2 ECC) will have a first-round bye and will not play until Thursday. Southern Wayne (1-22, 0-12) travels to an undetermined opponent Tuesday.
Eastern Wayne 69,
North Lenoir 24
* Eastern Wayne closed the second half on a 16-1 run and cruised to a 69- 24 victory over North Lenoir in the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference regular-season finale both teams Thursday night in New Hope.
Tamiya Dortch led the Warriors (12-11, 8-4 ECC) with 16 points. Jasmine Covington supplied nine points. Tianna Christopher and Megan Mozingo each had seven points. Eastern Wayne earned the No. 2 seed and an opening-round bye for next week's conference tournament.
Deshona Cox scored eight points for the Hawks, who finished 9-15 overall and 4-8 in the ECC.
Wayne Christian 26,
Cape Fear Christian 25
* Wayne Christian celebrated senior night with a 26-25 win over Cape Fear Christian on Thursday evening.
Senior Courtney Barrow scored 12 points and grabbed nine rebounds. Kelsey Kornegay contributed nine points and nine rebounds.
Wayne Christian 75,
Cape Fear Christian 66
* Wayne Christian hung on for a 75-66 win over Carolina Christian 1-A Conference foe Cape Fear Christian in overtime on Thursday night.
Seth Slusher paced the Eagles with 27 points and eight rebounds. David Swets added 21 points and 10 rebounds. Chris Easom supplied 11 points and Tyler Lacerda had eight points and five rebounds.
Wayne Christian (6-20 overall, 3-13 CCC) visits Faith Christian-Rocky Mount on Saturday.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Christian 19, Cape Fear Christian 6 -- Ashlee Harrellson and Georgia Parnell both scored five points for the Eagles. Summer Rose and Brooke Slush each pulled down seven rebounds.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Christian 44, Cape Fear Christian 36 -- Seth Harrell led the Eagles with 15 points. Wayne Christian (9-7) travels to Faith Christian-Rocky Mount on Saturday.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: Rosewood girls stop Princeton in overtime
- Thornton, Eagles upend archrival
- No. 1-ranked Trojans, Bulldogs split twinbill
- Spring Creek boys continue late-season surge
- Friday's prep basketball boxes
- Trojans sweep Mercyhurst, off to 4-0 start
- MOC men's volleyball dealt another five-set loss
- Gary pours in career-high 21 as MOC women drub Converse
- Goldsboro girls polish off 3rd straight Carolina 1-A regular-season crown
- Ayden-Grifton boys deny Goldsboro's upset bid