Local Preps Digest
By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on February 17, 2012 1:48 PM
Trojan men sweep Barton
* WILSON -- Junior outside hitter Adam Miracle pounded out 11 kills and Mount Olive snapped a frustrating seven-match skid with a 25-11, 25-10, 25-11 thrashing of Conference Carolinas rival Barton College on Thursday evening.
Freshman Lukas Hoelzl provided eight kills and a team-high 12 digs. Senior setter Jackson Metichechhia passed out 37 assists in the Trojans' third win over the Bulldogs this season.
MOC hit 54 percent for the match.
The Trojans (3-9 overall, 2-2 CC) entertain league foe King (Tenn.) College on Friday, and travel to Harrisonburg, Va., on Saturday for a tri-meet against Division III Eastern Mennonite University and Rust College.
Short scores ace
* Henry Short carded the third hole-in-one in his career while playing a round at Goldsboro Municipal Golf Course. Short aced the No. 16 hole with a 7-iron from 130 yards out.
Ed Mills and Johnny Mosley witnessed the feat.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Country Day 66, Oakwood 56 -- Jamal Forde led three Chargers in double figures with 17 points. Miller Gerard and Tyler Talton contributed 14 and 13 points, respectively. Wayne Country Day (16-4 overall) faces Greenfield for the Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference title Saturday. Tip-off is 4 p.m. at Faith Christian of Rocky Mount.
* Boys' basketball: Neuse Charter 49, Wayne Christian 33 -- Seth Harrell led the Eagles with 12 points as Wayne Christian fell in the finals of the Eastern N.C. Middle School Conference tournament.
Other Local Sports
- Triton boys stop Southern Wayne
- Local digest
- Opinion: Realignment almost set
- Erskine downs Mount Olive women
- Prep basketball boxes
- MOC men win over Erskine
- Southern Wayne standout Kevin Wise passes
- Goldsboro girls win CC tourney
- Golden Falcon girls take ECC title
- Ayden-Grifton wins Carolina 1-A Conference boys title