By From staff reports
Published in Sports on February 18, 2012 11:11 PM
Faith Christian 57, Trinity-Greenville 51
* Aaron Hill pumped in 22 points and Faith Christian claimed the 2012 N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A region championship with a 57-51 victory over Trinity Christian of Greenville.
Wes Caudle and Michael Clarke contributed 14 and 10 points, respectively, in the victory.
The Conquerors (18-3 overall) advanced to the regional final with a 55-45 triumph over Hilltop Christian on Friday. Hill sizzled the nets for a game-high 28 points. Caudle, Clark, Silas Denlinger, Trent Wise and Connor Anderson chipped in five points apiece.
Faith Christian clinched a berth in the eight-team state tournament.
Durham Orange 64, Goldsboro Heat 57
* RALEIGH -- Harrison Farley notched his seventh double-double of the season, but Durham Orange eliminated sixth-seeded Goldsboro Heat, 64-57, from the NCHEAC Conference tournament Friday evening.
Jordan Portela, who earned all-tournament recognition, added 10 points and nine rebounds. Blake Poland contributed 12 points and a season-high eight assists.
The Heat concluded the year 7-13 overall.
Wayne Country Day 56, Faith Christian-RM 36
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Catherine Ford delivered a game-high 23 points and Wayne Country Day defeated Faith Christian-Rocky Mount, 56-35, in semifinal-round play of the Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference tournament Friday evening.
The second-seeded Chargers (12-6 overall) faced two-time defending CPIC champion Oakwood in the title game Saturday.
Sarah Best contributed 12 points. Mack Thompson and Ashanti Hardy supplied 10 and nine points, respectively.
Faith Christian 40
* Brianna Champion tallied 17 points and grabbed six rebounds in Faith Christian's 48-40, season-ending loss to Trinity Christian-Greenville in the N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A playoffs Friday evening.
Meredith Clarke and Elizabethe Weeks added nine and five points, respectively, for the Conquerors. Weeks dished out four assists.
* Boys' basketball: Wake Forest 44, Goldsboro Heat 26 -- All-tournmament selection Thomas Vermillion led the fourth-seeded Heat with 11 points, four rebounds and three steals. Gavin Portela supplied seven points. Goldsboro concluded the year 2-13 overall.
Other Local Sports
- WCDS rallies in third
- Local Preps Digest
- Spring Creek prevails
- Prep basketball boxes
- Trojan women stop North Georgia, 6-3
- Green takes advantage of first career start for Trojans
- A Saint in Heaven: Community gathers to mourn loss, but celebrate life
- Tuesday preps
- S. Wayne boys game
- Princeton - Chatham Central boys