By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on February 21, 2012 1:48 PM
Goldsboro 66, East Columbus 61
* LAKE WACAMAW -- Goldsboro jumped out to an early lead thanks to some hot shooting and held off East Columbus 66-61 in the opening round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A playoffs on Monday night.
The win snapped a five-game losing streak for the Cougars.
Damarian Henderson paced the Goldsboro offense with 21 points and 13 rebounds. Julius Murphy finished with 12 points Moses Ramsey added 10 markers. Octavius Alston had eight points and 13 rebounds.
Goldsboro travels to West Columbus on Wednesday.
Rosewood 61, Lakewood 45
* Rosewood used a gritty defensive effort in a 61-45 defeat of Tri-County 1-A Conference member Lakewood in the opening round of the NCHSAA 1-A state playoffs on Monday night.
Ryan Isinger emerged as the only player in double figures for the Leopards with 12 points.
Jyonte Raynor and Joel Davis led the way for Rosewood with 17 points each. Zach Thornton added 10 points.
Rosewood (12-10 overall) plays either Spring Creek or Roxboro Community in the second round on Wednesday.
Rocky Mount 90, Eastern Wayne 68
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Rocky Mount scored 31 points in the opening quarter and cruised past Eastern Wayne in the opening round of the NCHSAA 3-A playoffs.
The Gryphons placed four players in double figures led by 20 points from Terrill Hilliard. Lavon Brutus added 17 points.
Josiah Davis led the way for Eastern Wayne with 25 points. Travorise Hall added 14 points.
Eastern Wayne concluded the season 9-16 overall.
James Kenan 51, Hobbton 36
* WARSAW -- James Kenan outlasted Hobbton 51-36 in the opening round of the NCHSAA 1-A bracket on Monday night.
Michael Moore led the Tigers with 16 points.
James Kenan entertains archrival Wallace-Rose Hill on Wednesday night.
Eastern Wayne 76, Currituck 44
* Eastern Wayne's fast-paced offense was too much for Currituck too handle in a 76-44 win by the Warriors on Monday night.
Tianna Christopher scored 15 points and Jasmine Benjamin added 11 for the Warriors. Eloundria Grant rounded out the Eastern Wayne players in double figures with 10 points.
The Warriors improved to 15-12 overall. Eastern Wayne plays at top-seeded West Craven in the second round of the NCHSAA 3-A playoffs on Wednesday.
Roxboro Community 23
* Goldsboro rolled through the opening round of the NCHSAA 1-A girls playoffs with a 61-23 beating of Roxboro Community on Monday night.
The Cougars will play host to either Northampton West or Hiede Trask on Wednesday night.
Chatham Central 60, Rosewood 36
* BEAR CREEK -- Chatham Central kept Rosewood's offense in check in a 60-36 win on the NCHSAA 1-A girls' basketball scene on Monday night.
Rosewood concluded the season 9-16 overall.