By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on February 23, 2012 1:48 PM
Rocky Mount Prep 83,
* PRINCETON -- Rocky Mount Prep opened up a 15-0 lead over the first four minutes and never looked back in an 83-61 win over Princeton in the second round of the N.C. High School Athletic Associaion 1-A playoffs on Wednesday night.
James Bonds led the visitors with 20 points. Rocky Mount Prep will be the guest of Rosewood on Friday night.
CJ Jeffreys led the way for Princeton with 16 points. Dalvin Stancil added 12 and AJ Smith contributed nine points.
Princeton concluded the season 15-13 overall.
West Columbus 71, Goldsboro 63
* CERRO GORDO -- West Columbus used an early shooting barrage to get ahead of Goldsboro in a 71-63 victory on Wednesday night in the second round of the NCHSAA 1-A state playoffs.
The Vikings hit five 3-pointers in the first quarter as they raced out to a 27-18 lead.
Damarian Henderson led the Goldsboro attack with 21 points. Quavius Holloman added 16 points and Octavius Alston finished with 10.
Goldsboro finished the season 14-12 overall.
James Kenan 81,
Wallace-Rose Hill 65
* WARSAW -- James Kenan scored 53 points in the second half en route to an 81-65 win over archrival Wallace-Rose Hill on Wednesday night.
Antonio Smith led the Tigers with 23 points. Michael Moore added 21 and Andre Smith finished with 20.
James Kenan (19-7 overall) plays host to West Columbus on Friday night.
Lakewood 74, Princeton 41
* SALEMBURG -- Lakewood got 22 points from Teisha Rick and rolled past Princeton 74-41 in the second round of the NCHSAA 1-A playoffs on Wednesday night.
Savanna Massengill led the way for the Bulldawgs with 12 points and 10 rebounds. Nicole Melvin added 11 points. Charlie Cox finished with seven points.
Princeton finished the year 14-11 overall.
West Craven 70, Eastern Wayne 45
* VANCEBORO -- West Craven opened a 20-point lead in the opening quarter and cruised to a 70-45 win over Eastern Wayne in the second round of the NCHSAA 3-A playoffs on Wednesday night.
Tiana Christopher led the Warriors with 12 points. Elondia Grant added eight points in the loss.
Eastern Wayne finished the season 15-13 overall.
Other Local Sports
- WCDS-Statesville girls' box
- Statesville knocks out WCDS girls
- Eagles eliminated by Rocky Mount Prep
- Rosewood-RMP boys box
- Mount Olive softball continues strong start
- Mount Olive baseball sweeps doubleheader
- MOC men win, women fall
- Goldsboro-E. Columbus girls' box
- Goldsboro girls dispatch East Columbus
- Conquerors fall in overtime