By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on March 1, 2012 1:48 PM
Southern Wayne 3,
Rocky Mount 0
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Southern Wayne got the better end of a classic pitcher's duel in a 3-0 win over Rocky Mount in the Saints' season opener.
Tyler Gainey earned the win on the mound, tossing six shutout innings. Gainey struck out three batters and did not allow a walk. Jacob Sasser pitched a scoreless seventh to earn the save.
Keith Jones, Ashton Cox, Taylor Brock and Gainey each finished with one hit for Southern Wayne. Brock recorded an RBI.
Southern Wayne (1-0 overall) plays host to South Central on Friday at 5 p.m. The game was originally scheduled for Saturday, but has been moved due to impending inclement weather.
North Lenoir 14,
Kinston 2 (5 inn.)
* KINSTON -- North Lenoir broke out the bats early and never looked back in a 14-2, mercy rule-shortened victory over Kinston on Wednesday night.
Landon Letchworth tossed three innings and allowed two runs to get the win. Zach Casper closed the game with two shutout innings.
Casper also paced the Hawks at the plate with three hits and four RBI. Chastin Radford added four hits and J.T. Williams reached base three times.
North Lenoir (2-0 overall) plays host to South Lenoir on Friday.
Rosewood 4, Lakewood 2
* ROSEBORO -- Rosewood took advantage of six walks and held off Lakewood 4-2 on Wednesday afternoon.
Amanda Beckert, Charlotte Kornegay, Haley Mercer, Anna Ingram and Alicia Burns each recorded one hit for the Eagles.
Lakewood is the guest of Rosewood (1-0 overall) on Monday.
C.B. Aycock 19, Wilson Hunt 1
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock was the beneficiary of 13 walks in a 19-1, non-conference rout of Wilson Hunt on Wednesday night.
Meredith Burroughs belted a home run for the Golden Falcons. Misty Edwards collected three hits. Brooke Bell added two hits and two RBI. Reagan Herndon recorded a hit and three RBI.
Burroughs earned the win in the pitcher's circle with a complete game performance that featured seven strikeouts.
C.B. Aycock (2-0 overall) entertains North Johnston on Friday.
Fike 325, C.B. Aycock 360
* C.B. Aycock dropped the first golf match of the year to perennial 3-A power Wilson Fike at Lane Tree Golf Club on Wednesday afternoon.
Cory Freels paced the Golden Falcons with a round of 79. Dylan Mitchell shot 84, Battle Burnett carded an 88, and Jullian Billhardt rounded out the team's total with a 99.
C.B. Aycock will be back on the links today at Wilson Hunt.
Eastern Wayne 9,
South Johnston 0
* Eastern Wayne only lost five total points in a dominant 9-0 victory over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent South Johnston on Wednesday afternoon.
Chaz Fitzpatrick, Russell Turner, Steven Taylor, Mitchell Kaspar, Sawyer Newsome and Cole Newsome each won their respective singles match.
The tandems of Fitzpatrick-Kaspar, Turner-Thompson and Taylor-Newsome each won in doubles play.
Eastern Wayne (2-0 overall, 2-0 ECC) travels to Wilson Fike today.
C.B. Aycock 7, North Lenoir 2
* KINSTON -- Charles B. Aycock claimed five of six singles matches and scored a 7-2 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival North Lenoir on Wednesday.
Michael Kearney, Addison Vail, Austin Walker, Chas Hooks and Sam Chastain each won their respective singles matches.
The duos of Hoff-Kearney and Vail-Walker prevailed in doubles play.
Evan Kramer won in singles for North Lenoir. The pairing of Will Hardy-Matthew Warren won its doubles match.
C.B. Aycock (2-0 overall, 1-0 ECC) plays host to South Johnston on Monday.
Hunt 6, C.B. Aycock 0
* WILSON -- Wilson Hunt took an early lead and never looked back in a 6-0 win over C.B. Aycock on Wednesday night.
The Warriors outshot the Golden Falcons on the way to a 3-0 advantage at the half.
C.B. Aycock (1-1 overall) plays host to Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Triton on Tuesday.
* Baseball: C.B. Aycock 6, Wilson Hunt 2 -- Hank Smitherman batted 3-for-3 with two RBI, including a double. Logan Runyon and Tim Naughton contributed two hits apiece. Noah West (two RBI), Ben Rouse (RBI), Jacob Naughton and Conner Crandall (RBI) each supplied one hit. Jacob Naughton emerged the winning pitcher, striking out four and allowing two runs on two hits in five innings. West delivered two innings of one-strikeout, scoreless relief. The Golden Falcons (1-0 overall) play at Rosewood today.
* Softball: Princeton 21, Frink 0 -- Haley Wood earned the win in the pitcher's circle and recorded eight strikeouts. Taylor Carroll led the Princeton offense with four hits. Kelsey Peedin, Beth Braswell and Wood each tallied three hits.
Other Local Sports
- Miracle pounds out career-high and school-record 28 kills
- Brown's walk-off, bases-loaded single gives CBA 12-inning win over D.H. Conley
- Hayes spearheads Trojans' road upset of King
- Trojans sweep doubleheader from Barton in baseball
- Mount Olive deserves NCAA tournament bid
- Limestone ousts Trojan women
- Prep baseball boxes
- Lakewood's final comeback stuns Goldsboro
- Goldsboro-Lakewood box
- Local Preps Digest