Local Preps Digest
By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on March 2, 2012 1:46 PM
Eastern Wayne 7, North Lenoir 1
* Freshman Megan Mozingo recorded a hat trick (three goals) in her second career varsity game and Eastern Wayne rolled past Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe North Lenoir 7-1 on Thursday night at Little Big Horn.
Mozingo, one of seven freshmen or sophomores starting for the Warriors, also handed out a pair of assists. Ann Reed Hulse contributed two goals. Kristinia Musses and Grace Delbridge also scored.
Brooke Davis and and Hulse both recorded assists.
Madison Hines scored the lone goal for the Hawks.
Eastern Wayne 8, Wilson Fike 1
* WILSON -- Eastern Wayne swept all six singles matches and cruised to an 8-1 non-conference victory on Thursday afternoon at Wilson Fike.
Chaz Fitzpatrick, Russell Turner, Steven Taylor, Mitchell Kaspar, Sawyer Thompson and Cole Newsome each collected a singles victory for the Warriors. The doubles teams of Turner-Allan Nilles and Taylor/Newsome also prevailed.
"This was a good overall match for us despite Fike having two injured players out," Eastern Wayne head coach Craigh Hassell said. "Steven Taylor and Sawyer Thompson grinded out three-set matches. Hopefully those close wins in big points will serve us well later in the season."
The Warriors (3-0 overall, 2-0 ECC) visit Northern Nash on Monday.
Wayne Christian 8, Rosewood 0
* Wayne Christian began its season with an 8-0 win over Rosewood on Thursday afternoon at Wayne Community College.
Daniel Glover, Christopher Easom, Nicholas Easom, Matthew Jackson, Hunter Timmerman and Graham Fussell all contributed singles victories. The teams of Glover-Christopher Easom and Nicholas Easom-Jackson also won. The no. 3 doubles match was called due to darkness.
Wayne Christian faces Grace Christian today at Pullen Park in Raleigh.
Saints win on road
* WILSON -- Southern Wayne fired a team score of 359 and claimed a five-team match on Thursday at Happy Valley Golf Course.
The Saints' Kyle Best claimed medalist honors with a round of 81. Teammate Johnathon Barrow carded an 88. Eastern Wayne finished second with a score of 362. Caleb Jones led the Warriors with an 87, followed by Hidmatsu Sueki's 88.
Charles B. Aycock was third with a team score of 363. Dylan Mitchell paced the Golden Falcons with a round of 87. Jordan Saulter tallied an 89.
Wilson Beddingfield (375) and Wilson Hunt (410) finished fourth and fifth, respectively.
North Duplin 12, Hobbton 1
* NEWTON GROVE -- North Duplin turned back Hobbton 12-1 on Thursday afternoon.
Breyon Johnson led the Rebels with three hits and four RBI. Joseph King and James Kornegay each supplied two hits. James Britt provided a double and two RBI. Freshman Trey Pate recorded the win on the mound.
North Duplin (2-0 overall) entertains James Kenan today.
Greene Central 15, Spring Creek 9
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Greene Central pushed across nine runs in the first two innings and went on to a 15-9, non-conference win Thursday afternoon at Spring Creek.
Davis Wilson finished with three hits, including a home run, and two RBI for the Rams. Chad Murphy, Ryan Cobb and Gunner Tyndall each added two hits and three RBI.
Luke Miller paced the Gators with two hits and three RBI. Alan Coor provided two hits and two RBI. Chad Spurgeon had two hits and an RBI.
Spring Creek (0-2 overall) plays host to North Pitt today, while Greene Central entertains Southern Wayne on Monday.
Wallace-Rose Hill 22, Goldsboro 0
* Goldsboro endured a 22-0, non-conference loss to Wallace-Rose Hill on Thursday. The Cougars visit Hobbton today.
Hobbton 9, North Duplin 0
* NEWTON GROVE -- North Duplin couldn't get its offense going in a 9-0 loss on Thursday at Hobbton.
Skylar McCarty led the Rebels with two hits. Kayla Alphin, Courtney Bennett and Alexis Sutton each had one hit.
North Duplin plays host to James Kenan today.
* Girls' soccer: Spring Creek 2, Eastern Wayne 1 -- Kaitlyn Sullivan scored both goals for the Gators in their season-opening win.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- NCAA committee snubs Trojans
- Dogs tackle Trojans, earn automatic berth
- Miracle pounds out career-high and school-record 28 kills
- Brown's walk-off, bases-loaded single gives CBA 12-inning win over D.H. Conley
- Hayes spearheads Trojans' road upset of King
- Trojans sweep doubleheader from Barton in baseball
- Mount Olive deserves NCAA tournament bid
- Limestone ousts Trojan women
- Prep baseball boxes