Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on March 8, 2012 1:48 PM
Southern Wayne 17,
Spring Creek 7
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne got its offense going early and turned back Spring Creek 17-7 on Wednesday afternoon.
Hailey Warren and Savannah Wiggins led the Saints with three hits and two RBI apiece. Warren also recorded the win inside the pitcher's circle. Hope Rose added two hits. Carly Heath, Madison Davis, Claire Kennedy, Taylor Davis and Cierra Moody all had one hit.
Katlyn Casey led the Gators with three hits.
Southern Wayne (2-3 overall) visits Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Triton today.
Rosewood 3, Midway 2
* SPIVEY'S CORNER -- Rosewood held off Midway for a 3-2, non-conference victory on Wednesday evening at Midway.
Amanda Beckert earned her second win of the season in the pitcher's circle. Beckert tallied four strikeouts and only one walk in seven innings of work. Megan Tyndall got the Eagles on the scoreboard with an RBI triple in the top of the first inning. Anna Ingram added a double and Haley Mercer tacked on a two-run double in the third inning.
Rosewood plays host to Lakewood today.
North Johnston 4, C.B. Aycock 3
* KENLY -- Ashley Mason's infield single scored the winning run in the bottom of the seventh as North Johnston defeated Charles B. Aycock 4-3 on Wednesday evening.
It was the Panthers' second victory over the Golden Falcons this season.
Meredith Burroughs belted a home run for Aycock and Connor Davis provided an RBI single. Ivy Hartzell had a double and Misty Edwards added an infield single.
Brooke Bell suffered the loss inside the pitcher's circle. The senior surrendered four runs (two earned) on seven hits with seven strikeouts and a walk in 62/3 innings.
The Golden Falcons (3-2 overall, 1-0 ECC) travel to North Lenoir on Friday.
Eastern Wayne 4,
South Central 3, (8 inn.)
* WINTERVILLE -- Josh Dixon drove home Zack Mozingo with the game-winning RBI single and Eastern Wayne escaped with a 4-3 win Wednesday afternoon at South Central.
The Warriors avenged a 4-1 loss to the Falcons last week in New Hope.
Nolan James led Eastern Wayne with a solo home run and an RBI double. Mozingo, Wes Stewart and Hunter Barnett each contributed a hit.
Ryan Faucette earned his first win of the season with 32/3 innings of relief.
Weather permitting, the Warriors (2-2 overall, 1-0 ECC) play host to Cleveland on Friday.
Greene Central 8, North Lenoir 7
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central survived for an 8-7 win over North Lenoir on Wednesday evening.
Ben Brann earned the win on the mound, and also contributed a hit and two RBI. Ryan Cobb provided an RBI double. Gunner Tyndall and Tucker Jones each had doubles.
Chastin Radford paced the Hawks with three hits, including a triple, and three runs scored. Brian Hardy, Addison Harper and Jake Olejnizak all supplied a hit. Sammy West endured the loss on the mound.
North Lenoir (3-2 overall) plays host to Charles B. Aycock on Friday, while Greene Central (2-1) entertains Southern Wayne.
Southern Wayne 11,
Spring Creek 2
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Dixie Ramirez set a program record with six goals and Southern Wayne rolled past Spring Creek 11-2 on Wednesday evening.
Ramirez also handed out two assists. Alva Perez supplied two goals and three assists. Cynthia Rivera, Shannon Casto and Maryori Nunez each had a goal. Ramirez has scored eight goals in three games this season.
Maria Gutierrez recorded four saves in goal for the Saints.
Bianca Morado and Alyssa Borja both scored for the Gators.
Southern Wayne (1-1-1 overall) begins Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play today at Triton.
Wilson Fike 6, C.B. Aycock 1
* PIKEVILLE -- Wilson Fike scored four second-half goals on its way to a 6-1 win on Wednesday evening at Charles B. Aycock.
Cheyenne Warrick scored the Golden Falcons' lone goal off an assist from Emily Borel in the 15th minute.
Aycock (2-2-0 overall, 1-0 ECC) entertains North Lenoir on Friday.
Corinth Holders 7, Goldsboro 0
* WENDELL -- The Cougars fell to 0-2 and play host to Corinth-Holders on Monday.
C.B. Aycock 8, Cleveland 1
* CLAYTON -- Charles B. Aycock improved to 3-0 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with an 8-1 win Wednesday afternoon at Cleveland.
Michael Kearney, Addison Vail, Austin Walker, Chas Hooks and Sam Chastain all picked up singles victories. The doubles teams of Hoff-Kearney, Vail Walker and Hooks-Chastain also won.
The Golden Falcons (5-0 overall, 3-0 ECC) play host to Eastern Wayne on Monday.
* Softball: Princeton 9, Riverwood 1 -- Hailey Wood pitched a complete game for the Bulldogs and recorded 16 strikeouts. Kortney Edwards and Taylor Caroll both finished with three hits. Kasey Johnson and Lakyn Whitley each added two hits. Kelsey Peedin, Beth Braswell, Emily Woodard and Natalie Smith each had one hit. Princeton (2-0 overall) visits Archer's Lodge on Tuesday.