By From staff reports
Published in Sports on March 9, 2012 1:48 PM
Rosewood 4, Midway 1
* Rosewood got a strong performance in the pitcher's circle from Amanda Beckert and defeated Midway 4-1 on Thursday afternoon.
Beckert improved to 3-0 on the season and did not allow an earned run in the contest. Beckert also added a double and scored a run at the plate.
Haley Mercer belted a solo home run for the Eagles, and Callie Thornton blasted a two-run shot to seal the win in the sixth inning.
Rosewood (3-0 overall) travels to Wilson Fike on Monday.
North Duplin 23, Lejeune 4
* JACKSONVILLE -- North Duplin racked up 23 hits en route to a 23-4 dismantling of Lejeune on Thursday afternoon.
Alonna Pate earned the win in the pitcher's circle and delivered four hits at the plate for the Rebels. Skyler McCarty and Kayla Alphin each finished with two hits.
North Duplin (2-3 overall) travels to James Kenan on Wednesday.
Village Christian 10,
Wayne Christian 0
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Village Christian starter Tahmaya Coleman tossed a one-hit shutout in a 10-0 win over Wayne Christian on Thursday afternoon.
Courtney Barrow tallied the lone hit for the Eagles.
Victoria Combs went the distance for Wayne Christian in the pitchers' circle, and allowed five hits and 12 walks.
Wayne Christian (1-1 overall) is the guest of Cape Fear Christian on March 19.
Southern Wayne 1, Triton 0
* ERWIN -- Southern Wayne plated the lone run of the game in the first inning and held on for a 1-0 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival Triton on Thursday afternoon.
The teams combined for three base hits.
Keith Jones drew a walk to lead off the game and later scored on a passed ball. Taylor Brock delivered the only hit of the game for the Saints with a double.
Jeremy Taylor tossed a gem on the pitcher's mound to earn the win. Taylor went a complete game, allowed two hits and struck out seven Triton batters.
Weather permitting, Southern Wayne (3-1 overall) visits Greene Central today.
Lejeune 2, North Duplin 1
* JACKSONVILLE -- North Duplin managed just five hits in a 2-1 loss at Lejeune on Thursday afternoon.
Mitchell Thigpen delivered the Rebels only RBI with a sacrifice fly.
Larry White suffered the loss on the pitcher's mound despite allowing just three hits over six innings.
North Duplin travels to James Kenan on Wednesday.
Wayne Christian 6, Rosewood 2
* Wayne Christian scored five singles points and bested county rival Rosewood 6-2 on Thursday afternoon.
Daniel Glover, Christopher Easom, Matthew Jackson, Hunter Timmerman and Grahm Fussell each won their respective singles match for the Eagles. Hunter Hinson emerged as Rosewood's lone winner in singles play.
The tandem of Jackson-Timmerman prevailed in doubles play. Tyler Power-Hinson earned the lone doubles point for Rosewood. The third doubles match was suspended due to darkness.
Wayne Christian plays Greenfield on March 20.
Eastern Wayne 9, Rocky Mount 0
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Eastern Wayne cruised past Rocky Mount 9-0 in non-conference tennis action on Thursday afternoon.
Chaz Fitzpatrick, Russell Turner, Steven Taylor, Mitchell Kaspar, Sawyer Thompson and Cole Newsome each claimed a singles point for the Warriors.
The tandems of Fitzpatrick-Kaspar, Turner-Thompson and Taylor-Newsome each won in doubles play.
Eastern Wayne (6-0 overall) will travel to C.B. Aycock on Monday.
Southern Wayne 6,
Spring Creek 2
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne claimed four singles points en route to a 6-2 win over Spring Creek on Thursday afternoon.
Brandon Outlaw, Alan Nunez, Sam Henderson and Chris Judy each earned a singles point for the Saints.
The tandems of Andrew Medlin-Anuar Ramirez and Outlaw-Nunez each won in doubles.
Southern Wayne (3-2 overall) entertains South Johnston on Monday.
Rosewood 5, Midway 1
* Rosewood got its offense fired up early in a 5-1 rout of Midway on Thursday afternoon.
Rachyle McAlduff and Cory Smith each finished with two goals for the Eagles. Logan Bill added a goal and an assist. Marissa Hill, Samantha Allen and Ginny Simpson each tallied one assist.
Rosewood visits North Johnston on March 19.
Track and field
Spring Creek runs third
* AYDEN -- Spring Creek finished in third place in its Carolina 1-A Conference track meet at Ayden-Grifton.
Sara Boltinhouse emerged the Gators' lone first-place finisher with a win in the 800-meter run. Sharitta Peele took second in the shot put and Vidalina Perez finished second in the 200-meter dash.
The Gators took first place in the 1,600-meter relay. The relay team consisted of Boltinhouse, Perez, Alyssa Borja and Maria Garcia.
Spring Creek will travel to Rosewood on Monday.
* Baseball: Wayne Christian 9, Village Christian 2 -- Cameron Foss and Bryce Norman combined for six strikeouts to lead Wayne Christian past Village Christian on Thursday afternoon. Hunter Burt finished with three hits in the win. Tanner Rose, Brandon Price and Chandler Gentry each added two hits. Wayne Christian improved to 3-0 overall.
* Soccer: Rosewood 4, Spring Creek 1 -- Rosewood slowed down Spring Creek and handed the Gators their first defeat of the season on Thursday. Kayla Sullivan scored the lone goal for Spring Creek (2-1-0 overall).
* Softball: Spring Creek 19, Rosewood 8 -- Spring Creek earned a 19-8 win over Rosewood on Thursday afternoon. Ashley Marriner struck out six batters to earn the win. Spring Creek improved to 3-0 overall.