Local Preps Digest
By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on March 14, 2012 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 7, South Johnston 2
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock allowed an early goal, but bounced back with a strong offensive performance in a 7-2 victory over South Johnston on Tuesday evening.
After the Trojans took an early lead in the first 10 minutes, the Golden Falcons' Emily Borel tied the game at 1-1. Junior Cheyenne Warrick tallied the next six goals, pushing her season total to 23.
Madison Mercer handed out two assists. Cady Sheeks, Sam Parrish, Borel and Alex Strickland each had one assist.
Alex Van-Meir recorded five saves in goal.
Aycock (4-3-0 overall, 3-0-0 ECC) visits Cleveland on Friday.
Wayne Country Day 7, Spring Creek 0
* Wayne Country Day launched its 2012 season with a 7-0, non-conference win over Spring Creek on Tuesday afternoon.
Margaret Tanner and Catherine Ford collected two goals and an assist apiece for the Chargers. Sarah Best added a goal and handed out to assists.
Karis Hawkins, Abbey Pope and Mollie McDonald each scored a goal.
Wayne Country Day (1-0-0 overall) faces the Elon School on Friday at Trinity Christian of Durham.
Southern Wayne 11, Cleveland 2
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne got its offense going early and often in an 11-2 rout of Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Cleveland on Tuesday evening.
Taylor Raynor finished with four hits and three RBI. Taylor Brock contributed two hits, including a home run and four RBI. Jacob Sasser (two RBI) and Ashton Cox (RBI) each had two hits. Jamie Dove belted a home run and had two RBI.
Taylor Gainey, Keith Jones and Colton Chrisman all supplied a hit.
Jackson Hayes surrendered just one hit with five strikeouts in three innings of work on the mound. Jamar Holmes allowed two runs on four hits in three innings of relief. Sam Farrell worked an inning of scoreless relief with three strikeouts.
The Saints (5-1 overall, 2-0 ECC) play host to Wilmington Ashley today.
Faith Christian 16,
Berean Baptist 2, (5 inn.)
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Faith Christian improved 3-0 with a 16-2 pounding of N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal 2-A foe Berean Baptist on Tuesday.
Trent Wise (two RBI) and Wes Caudle both supplied two hits for the Conquerors. Connor Anderson (three RBI) and Michael Clark both had one hit. Brandon Jones got the start on the mound and pitched three no-hit innings with six strikeouts and three walks. Silas Denlinger allowed one hit with four strikeouts and three walks in two innings of relief.
Faith entertains Liberty Christian from Durham and Oak Level in a doubleheader on both Friday and Saturday.
Wayne Country Day 10,
Trinity Christian 9
* Wayne Country Day scored two runs in the bottom of the seventh inning on walks and picked up its first victory of the season with a 10-9 win over visiting Trinity Christian of Fayetteville on Tuesday evening.
Hil Tanner provided two hits, including a home run, and three RBI for the Chargers. Josh Jackson added two hits and an RBI. Mason Bland had two hits and two RBI. John Strickland had a hit and two RBI. Jacob Parks and Thomas Kierski both supplied an RBI.
Kierski earned the win with 2/3 of an inning of no-hit relief. Starting pitcher Cody Neal allowed four earned runs on two hits with eight strikeouts and three walks in 4 1/3 innings.
Wayne Country Day (1-2 overall) visits Trinity Christian of Durham on March 19.
Spring Creek 5, Jones Senior 0
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek play error-free baseball, and Allen Coor and Logan Miller combined to pitch a two-hitter in a 5-0 win over Jones Senior on Tuesday afternoon.
Coor pitched surrendered one hit in 5 1/3 innings of work. Miller allowed one hit in 1 2/3 innings of relief. Duane Gurganus and Miller each tallied RBI for the Gators.
Spring Creek (3-4 overall) entertains Dixon today.
North Lenoir 11, Triton 5
* LaGrange -- North Lenoir turned back Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Triton 11-5 on Tuesday evening.
Mikal Batts paced the Hawks with three hits and two RBI. Sammy West provided two hits and two RBI. Chastin Radford, JT Williams, Addison Harper, Caleb Kearney and Dylan Puchalski each had one each.
Zach Casper pitched four innings of shutout relief to record the win.
North Lenoir (4-2 overall, 2-0 ECC) plays host to Charles B. Aycock today.
Wilson Beddingfield 8,
Greene Central 7
* WILSON -- Greene Central opened Eastern Plains 2-A Conference play with an 8-7 loss at Wilson Beddingfield on Tuesday.
Ryder Mclawhorn (two RBI), Chad Murphy (RBI), Davis Wilson and Mason Head all contributed two hits for the Rams. Mclawhorn endured the loss on the mound.
Greene Central (2-3 overall, 0-1 EPC) plays host to Spring Creek on Thursday.
Spring Creek 12, Jones Senior 9
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek hung on for a 12-9 victory over Jones Senior on Tuesday afternoon. It was the Gators' first win of the season.
Allison Tanner led Spring Creek with three hits. Janna Price provided two hits, including an inside-the-park home run. Katlyn Casey, Karen Best, Sarah Ford, Sydney Ocker and Hailey Jones also had two hits. Mykalya Evans added a double.
Jones earned the win inside the pitcher's circle and recorded the strikeouts.
The Gators (1-3 overall) play host to Southwest Onlsow on March 19.
* PRINCETON -- Spring Creek claimed a six-team meet at Princeton on Tuesday afternoon.
The Gators compiled a team scored of 128 to finish ahead of the Bulldogs' 118. Rocky Mount Prep (74), Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf (48), Wayne Country Day (30) and Neuse Charter (18) rounded out the team scoring.
Spring Creek's Cassidy Goff finished first in the triple jump and the 300-meter hurdles, and third in the 110 hurdles. Sara Boltinhouse won the 800 run and placed second in the triple jump. Sharriitta Peele claimed the shot put and ended up fourth in the discus.
The Gators' 1,600-meter relay team of Boltinhouse, Sarah Casey, Maria Garcia and Turner finished first.
Spring Creek travels to Rosewood on Thursday.