By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on March 15, 2012 1:48 PM
Eastern Wayne 9, Triton 0
* Eastern Wayne cruised to an easy 9-0 win over Triton in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tennis action on Wednesday.
Chaz Fitzpatrick, Russell Turner, Steven Taylor, Mitchell Kaspar, Sawyer Thompson and Cole Newsome each prevailed in singles play. The Warriors only lost two points combined in singles.
The tandems of Fitzpatrick-Turner, Kaspar-Thompson and Taylor-Newsome each won in doubles action.
Eastern Wayne (8-0 overall, 5-0 ECC) plays host to Northern Nash on Friday.
North Lenoir 6, Southern Wayne 3
* DUDLEY -- North Lenoir earned an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference win by downing Southern Wayne 6-3 on Wednesday afternoon.
Alan Nunez and Chris Judy emerged as the Saints' winners in singles play. The tandem of Brandon Outlaw-Nunez prevailed in doubles.
Evan Kramer, Chris Thaxton, Will Hardey and Brett Shear each earned a singles point for the Hawks. The pairs of Sean Kramer-Hardey and Evan Kramer-Shear won in doubles.
Southern Wayne (6-3 overall) visits Spring Creek today.
C.B. Aycock 6, Wilson Fike 3
* WILSON -- Charles B. Aycock collected four points during singles action and held on to defeat Wilson Fike 6-3 on Wednesday afternoon.
Michael Kearney, Addison Vail, Austin Walker and Chas Hooks each prevailed for the Golden Falcons in singles action.
The tandem of Sam Chastain-Hooks and Vail-Walker each won in doubles play.
C.B. Aycock (6-1 overall) entertains Southern Wayne on March 19.
Dixon 4, Spring Creek 1
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Dixon scored three runs in the top of the first inning and kept the Spring Creek offense in check throughout a 4-1 win on Wednesday night.
Bulldog starter J.P. Padgett held the Gators to just five hits in a complete-game victory.
Luke Miller, Duane Gurganus, Chad Spurgeon, Matt Rogers and Logan Miller each tallied a base hit for the Gators.
Corey Howell took the loss on the pitcher's mound.
Spring Creek is the guest of Greene Central today.
J.H. Rose 13, Eastern Wayne 1
* GREENVILLE -- Eastern Wayne could not overcome four early errors in a 13-1, non-conference loss at J.H. Rose on Wednesday afternoon.
Ryan Faucette, Wesley Stewart and Josh Dixon each recorded one hit in the defeat.
Nolan James took the mound loss.
Eastern Wayne (4-3 overall) plays host to Southern Wayne on Friday.
Hobbton 6, James Kenan 4
* NEWTON GROVE -- A late rally was not enough to get James Kenan past Hobbton on Tuesday night.
The Tigers scored three runs in the bottom of the fifth inning, but failed to plate a run in their final two at-bats.
Steed Jones paced the James Kenan attack with two hits and an RBI. Kedron Foster added a double.
Parker Jones suffered the mound loss in relief.
James Kenan (1-5 overall) visits Pender today.
Kinston 13, Goldsboro 7
* KINSTON -- Goldsboro let a pair of two-run leads slip away in a 13-7, non-conference loss to Kinston at historic Grainger Stadium on Wednesday afternoon.
Ronald Woody paced the Cougars' offense with two hits and scored three runs. Sherrod Harvin provided two hits and an RBI.
Miguel Lugo endured the pitching defeat.
Goldsboro 17, Kinston 12
* KINSTON -- Goldsboro earned its second consecutive win on the softball diamond with a 17-12 win over Kinston on Wednesday afternoon.
Brandy Johnson led the Cougars at the plate with four hits and five runs scored. Bailee Ellis and Talaya Lassiter each finished with three hits in the win.
Alyssa Richardson picked up the win in the pitcher's circle with a complete game performance that included two strikeouts.
Goldsboro (2-4 overall) travels to Jones Senior on March 20.
C.B. Aycock 17, Wilson Hunt 5
* WILSON -- C.B. Aycock stopped Wilson Hunt 17-5 in six innings on Wednesay afternoon.
Ivy Hartzell led the Golden Falcons with three hits and two RBI. Meredith Burroughs belted two home runs and finished with four RBI. Rachel Jordan blasted a two-run home run.
Reagan Herndon, Cierra Harris, Taylor Bradshaw and Brooke Bell each finished with two hits.
Burroughs picked up the win in the pitcher's circle and tallied five strikeouts.
C.B. Aycock (5-2 overall) visits Cleveland on Friday.
Goldsboro 3, Southern Wayne 3
* DUDLEY -- Goldsboro and Southern Wayne battled to a 3-3 tie on the pitch Wednesday night at the Doyle Whitfield Athletic Complex.
Dorian Wences, Holly Pittard and Catherine Jones each scored one goal for the Cougars.
Goldsboro travels to Rocky Mount Prep on Monday.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Mary Morris emerged the low gross winner during weekly tournament play at Walnut Creek Country Club. Penny Ritt and Linda Cannon shared low net, while Betty Holloway took low putts.
Charlotte Campbell claimed first net honors in second flight play during an East Carolina Ladies Golf Association meet at Falling Creek CC. Evelyn Rose seized low putts in second flight, while Cannon captured first net in third flight.
* Baseball: C.B. Aycock 7, South Johnston 2 -- The Golden Falcons' Garrett Joyner belted a solo home run and concluded the day 2-for-4 with an RBI. Tim Naughton added two hits, including a double. Noah West (two RBI), Logan Runyon (two RBI), Conner Crandall, Jake Naughton, Ben Rouse and Hank Smitherman (RBI) contributed one hit apiece. West scattered four hits in 4 2/3 innings and logged five strikeouts to claim the pitching win. Runyon tossed 2 1/3 innings of three-hit, three-strikeout relief. The Golden Falcons improved to 4-0 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- So. Wayne-E. Wayne softball box
- Warren extends Warriors' slump
- Jackson, Mozingo lead EW charge
- Mount Olive sweeps twinbill from Coker
- Controversial 'strike' leads to game-winning hit
- E. Wayne-So. Wayne baseball box
- Ash runs well in ODAC
- Ford, Myles integral parts of teams' year
- Bullock accepts no less than best