Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on March 16, 2012 1:48 PM
Spring Creek 5, Greene Central 0
* SNOW HILL -- Spring Creek took advantage of five Greene Central errors in a 5-0, non-conference win on Thursday afternoon.
The Gators broke a scoreless tie with a single run in the top of the fourth inning and pushed across three more runs in the fifth.
Chris Nichols contributed three hits and two RBI. Zach Harrell (RBI) and Luke Miller both had two hits. Trey Hammonds added a hit and Corey Howell supplied an RBI.
Chad Spurgeon pitched a complete-game shutout and allowed five hits with two strikeouts and four walks.
Chad Murphy, Ryder McLawhorn, Ryan Cobb, Davis Wilson and Mason Head each had a hit for the Rams. Kevin Ormond suffered the loss on the mound.
Greene Central (2-4 overall, 0-1 EPC) visits Eastern Plains 2-A Conference opponent Taboro today. Spring Creek plays host to Southwest Onslow on Monday.
Rosewood 11, Midway 1 (5 inn.)
* SPIVEY'S CORNER -- Rosewood improved to 5-0 with an 11-1 pounding of Midway in five innings on Wednesday evening.
The Eagles' Amanda Beckert collected her fifth victory of the season inside the pitcher's circle and surrendered just one hit.
Laura Vinson provided three hits. Megann Tyndall (four RBI), Alicia Burns (three RBI) and Beckert each contributed two hits. Anna Ingram (RBI), Haley Mercer (RBI) and Scout Anderson each added a hit.
Jordan DuBose swiped a pair of bases.
Rosewood is the guest of Southern Wayne on Monday.
Southern Wayne 7, Spring Creek 1
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Southern Wayne prevailed in five of six singles matches and picked up a 7-1 non-conference win on Thursday afternoon at Spring Creek.
Brandon Outlaw, Alan Nunez, Andrew Medlin, Sam Henderson and Chris Judy each earned a singles point for the Saints. The teams of Outlaw-Henderson and Nunez-Medlin were winners in doubles play.
Cody Boozer won at No. 3 singles for the Gators.
Southern Wayne (7-3 overall) visits Charles B. Aycock on Monday.
Rosewood 6, North Johnston 3
* Rosewood prevailed on the first five singles courts and doubled up North Johnston, 6-3, in a non-conference match Wednesday afternoon.
Top-seeded Dylan Cuddington, Fouad Ismail, Daniel El Awar, Nathan Tubb and Nolan Tubb each earned a singles points for the Eagles. Cuddington-El Awar picked up Rosewood's lone doubles point.
Eagles run past competition
* Rosewood compiled a team scored of 78 and claimed a three-team, Carolina 1-A Conference meet with visiting Spring Creek and North Duplin on Thursday afternoon.
The Gators finished second with 59 points and the Rebels had 21.
The Eagles' Krystal Yelverton finished first in the long jump. Teammates Anna Ingram (shot put), Brynna Lee (pole vault), Holly Heath (high jump), Alysse Atwell (100 meter hurdles, 300 meter hurdles), Jamekia Best (100 meters), Jamekia Best (200 meters) and Kasie Elliot (1600 meters, 3200 meters) each earn first place finishes. Rosewood was also victorious in the 3200 meter relay.
Spring Creek's Cassidy Goff earned first place in the triple jump and Alyssa Borja claimed the 400 meters. Sara Boltinhouse was first in the 800 meters and the Gators won the 400-, 800- and 1,600-meter relays.
North Duplin's Danielle Hinrichs prevailed in the discus.
CBA places second
* ERWIN -- Charles B. Aycock tallied 64 points and finished second in a three-team Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference meet on Thursday at Triton.
The host Hawks won the meet with a score of 86. North Lenoir was third with 36 points.
The Golden Falcons' Khaleil Owens prevailed in the 400 meters. Cade Ivey finished first in the 800 meters and Austin Snowden was victorious in the 300 hurdles.
Aycock won the 800-, 1,600 and 3,200-meter relays.
The Golden Falcons return to action on March 22 for a five-team meet at South Johnston.
* Baseball: North Lenoir 18, C.B. Aycock 9 (8 inn.) -- Garrett Joyner paced the Golden Falcons' offense with three hits and scored two runs. Ryan Davis doubled and plated a run during a 2-for-5 outing. Hank Smitherman (RBI), Logan Runyon, Tim Naughton (2 RBI) and Ben Rouse (RBI) provided one hit apiece. Aycock (4-1 overall) entertains Cleveland today.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- So. Wayne-E. Wayne softball box
- Warren extends Warriors' slump
- Jackson, Mozingo lead EW charge
- Mount Olive sweeps twinbill from Coker
- Controversial 'strike' leads to game-winning hit
- E. Wayne-So. Wayne baseball box
- Ash runs well in ODAC
- Ford, Myles integral parts of teams' year
- Bullock accepts no less than best